Fix Firepots

• Before anyone tries to start anything, this has nothing to do with MAA balance, so don’t make this thread about that please.

Firepots are spammable, unblockable, incredibly easy to use AoE damage. There is no denying that, and there is no excuse for how they currently function.

Here are my proposed changes:

1. Add in a small delay when it explodes before you take damage and raise the damage per second thereafter. Maybe also increase the duration as well.

2. Add in a timer so if you hold it too long, it explodes on the user. And note, because of the delay in damage, that doesn’t mean they would take damage, they would just lose that firepot. I believe this was DokB’s idea and I really liked the idea.

Thoughts?

• make the DoT last only 2 seconds but massively increase the dmg taken per second while standing inside the fire

• 1. I really like this idea, but not increasing the duration, as that wouldn’t really do much outside make the game more waiting for it to disappear and just more annoying as it’s controlling crucial obj space like rams. It’s not like you can put out the fire so there’s no real counter play to it while it’s burning a ram. But it shouldn’t be unavoidable damage.

2. This sounds funny but I’m not sure how much value it would add to the game. People just wouldn’t hold it out as long.

• Global Moderator

That doesn’t sound like a small delay.

• @SOC:

1. I really like this idea, but not increasing the duration, as that wouldn’t really do much outside make the game more waiting for it to disappear and just more annoying as it’s controlling crucial obj space like rams. It’s not like you can put out the fire so there’s no real counter play to it while it’s burning a ram. But it shouldn’t be unavoidable damage.

2. This sounds funny but I’m not sure how much value it would add to the game. People just wouldn’t hold it out as long.

For #2, I think the idea was mostly to prevent MAA from simply running around with firepots out all the time, and to provide some drawback to aiming for too long.

• Global Moderator

2 would be entirely pointless but completely hilarious to watch. It may however turn into a new way to grief and it it happened accidentally team mates wouldn’t be happy.

• @lemonater47:

2 would be entirely pointless but completely hilarious to watch. It may however turn into a new way to grief and it it happened accidentally team mates wouldn’t be happy.

If it would actually explode in your hand and create the AoE fire at that spot, I will never stop joining nearly-full TO servers and running towards the king like that as a suicide mission.
    It is known.

• Global Moderator

Reminds me of Japanese banzai grenades in Rising storm lol.

• They’re not overpowered, shields and throwing knives are more practical, firebombs are much more situational. They could be changed, but they don’t need a nerf.

• @wyrda78:

They’re not overpowered, shields and throwing knives are more practical, firebombs are much more situational. They could be changed, but they don’t need a nerf.

They are guaranteed unblockable damage. That’s a problem.

As well, it is rare to see a competitive MAA take a shield, and most certainly not throwing knives.

• @SHH_:

As well, it is rare to see a competitive MAA take a shield, and most certainly not throwing knives.

yeah, it’s not like a large shield to stop missiles is useful…

• not all missiles hue

http://a.pomf.se/bpuler.webm

• Global Moderator

Nerf everything till its not a problem to you. Isn’t that what scrubs want?

• @lemonater47:

Nerf everything till its not a problem to you. Isn’t that what scrubs want?

Nerf MAA, bcoz dodge and speed. Nerf vanguard, bcoz charge and knockback.

In the meantime all the tournaments are being won by knights.

• The fact that knight won Best Knight EU tournament really surprised me.

When was the last mixed class tournament that actually finished? There was a nofeint tournament in AU where the finalists were brandi vanguard and norse MAA but does it really count if the rules disallow usage of intended game mechanic?

• @Kreittis:

When was the last mixed class tournament that actually finished? There was a nofeint tournament in AU where the finalists were brandi vanguard and norse MAA but does it really count if the rules disallow usage of intended game mechanic?

Of course. Non-feint is less dependent on luck and more defendant on skill. That’s why all the majority of competitive play in AU is non-feint.
    Do you have a link to the tournament though? I can’t seem to find it.

• @wyrda78:

Of course. Non-feint is less dependent on luck and more defendant on skill. That’s why all the majority of competitive play in AU is non-feint.
    Do you have a link to the tournament though? I can’t seem to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqTywVpczM

The brandi-norse info came from comments here.

• @Rickvs:

If it would actually explode in your hand and create the AoE fire at that spot, I will never stop joining nearly-full TO servers and running towards the king like that as a suicide mission.
    It is known.

You know this post actually convinced me that these are good ideas. TBS pls let us be kamikaze firepot angry nigel thornberry mason maa grunty man

• Global Moderator

@Kreittis:

That was months ago.

The no feint meta has faded quite a bit. 8 months ago you never saw a feint ever. Except from the occasional new player trying it out. But no competitive or long term player used it.

Now they appear here and there. Though no one depends on them.

• @Kreittis:

The guys that won this, or made it far into the tournament were all pro-feint players though, which is hilarious. Chances are if it was feint friendly it would have been SkrawL on MaA and XJapan on VG at the end anyway.