Stamina Special Daze Change (intended for TBS)

• Dear Torn Banner Studios

The Special Daze, the mechanic which kicks in when you run out of stamina to parry with and causes you to be stunned requires a tweak. This has been brought up multiple times by community members and has not been addressed.

Currently when you are Special Dazed your opponent has ample time to swing his maul right for your head causing a 1 hit kill. This means that the weapon that drains the most stamina in the game receives an easy 1 hit kill on a Dazed opponent. This needs to be rebalanced, currently it is far too easy to run out of stamina, a common issue when fighting multiple opponents. Should you run out of stamina you will find yourself dead in no time, as you are stunned for far too long leaving you completely exposed to anything and everything.

I suggest a modest tweak, change the Special Daze from 1.8 seconds to 1.5. This will prevent heavy weapons using their slower attacks from getting an easy hit in yet keep it high enough for all weapons to be able to hit their target as long as a fast attack was used.

• I love it when I dodge away from a stunned opponent but then still have enough time to come back and hit them.

• @wyrda78:

I love it when I dodge away from a stunned opponent but then still have enough time to come back and hit them.

Or when you parry by accident and still have time to attack and get a hit in.

This game should reward good timing, and one way to do that is to reduce the unparryable window of being dazed.

• yes pls. shorten the time and make parry drain like a quarter of what it is right now, but keep it what it is when your opponent is like <25% on stamina so you can stam them out

• Really? I escape a stun most times by just crouching and looking up, it’s already very short. The only time I seem to get got is when the one doing the getting isn’t the one who did the stunning.

In short: nope.

• Global Moderator

Most people escape being hit by a maul after being stunned.

The funniest thing to do with the maul is to drain all their stamina and stamina stun them, then heavy kick them which life the stamina they gained from the stun back down to 5-10 or something then swing the maul at them again stamina stunning them again. Endless stunning. Almost. Until you yourself run out of stamina. But your opponent can’t do anything. Doesn’t work with most other weapons meaning the heavy kick isn’t draining them to 0.

• The 1.8 timer is so that a maul user CAN hit a person, but I agree that it’s too long as most people do. With 1.2 seconds you havn’t taken into account the “impact recovery” after you hit someones parry zombo. I still think there needs to be different timers for 1hs and 2hs, with a 1h you can basically wait half a second before deciding to attack, same with some 2hs but the slower weapons you basically have to decide right away.
    I still suggest lowering minimum stamina drain to 3 and maximum to 15, although charge attacks should drain 20-25 which seems like a fair number. (Better to remove charge though)

• Agreed, lower that shit.

• @McLumberjack:

Really? I escape a stun most times by just crouching and looking up, it’s already very short. The only time I seem to get got is when the one doing the getting isn’t the one who did the stunning.

In short: nope.

you must play against morons only…

zombo, 1.2 is too short. 1.5 the original time was just about fine.

It should just be a free hit if you know it’s coming and are ready to claim it, if you are not you shouldn’t get all day to have the chance. The window of opportunity for a free hit doesn’t need to be damn near 2 seconds when no windups take that long. And the free hit doesn’t have to be the hardest hitting attack with the slower windup either. Maybe to get a free hit maul has to stab attack instead of overhead. Maul stun does not equal free hit, it essentially = free kill.

• It’s chivalry. It’s ONLY played by morons.

• I agree with clay 1.5 would be a better value, updated the OP.

• @McLumberjack:

It’s chivalry. It’s ONLY played by morons.

you still play it?

• Don’t nerf stun daze. Just decrease stamina usage across the board. Maul should absolutely have more than ample time to land an overhead on you, but we shouldn’t be running out of stamina so quickly so it wouldn’t happen as often any way.

• You would still be able to b0ckswing or perhaps lookdown with the maul, probably.

• @50ShadesofClay:

you still play it?

OH ZING YOU GOT ME

• Increase stamina by 20%, increase MAA dodge stamina cost by 20%, done.

• Mod

You know this won’t fix it that much but it’s a start. If you’re stam locked for 1.8s the maul can hit you within 3 frames with a reverse overhead. I don’t think stamina should exist in this game at all, dodges should have a cooldown so you can’t dodge forever, but there really should be infinite stamina and thus no stam wins.

• @Sir:

You know this won’t fix it that much but it’s a start. If you’re stam locked for 1.8s the maul can hit you within 3 frames with a reverse overhead. I don’t think stamina should exist in this game at all, dodges should have a cooldown so you can’t dodge forever, but there really should be infinite stamina and thus no stam wins.

There used to be infinite stamina back on release/beta, it wasn’t as fun as it sounded. No one ever died in proper duels.

• Mod

@SOC:

There used to be infinite stamina back on release/beta, it wasn’t as fun as it sounded. No one ever died in proper duels.

Did they wind up just going forever? That sucks. Well at the very least from where it stands now either stamina needs to be used less or there just needs to be more of it. I favor less stamina usage in parries, feints, etc since the second idea messes with dodging.

• I wouldn’t mind lowering the cost for dodge by 5 stamina again, if dodge was fixed and not so glitchy, ie dodge during active parry or during recovery, but that’s never gonna happen.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.