Making broadheads actually viable

• Since warbow+broadhead OHK got nerfed, I think everyone can agree that broadheads are completely nonviable. Any increase in damage that doesn’t mean the difference between a one or two shot kill makes next to no difference, bodkins do pretty much the same damage to archers and do way more damage to knights and vans.

So I’ve been thinking about it a bit, and my idea is to give broadheads a faster arrow velocity. Since the the main difficulty of killing archers (and MaA) with bows is actually hitting them, a faster arrow velocity and flatter trajectory would actually be a significant advantage.
    And it actually makes sense, because arrows meant to pierce armour needed to be quite heavy to have enough energy to get through armour. Against flesh targets you don’t need a heavy arrow, so you can have a lighter and faster one. Almost all modern hunting arrows are quite light.

Before any archer haters protest this, keep in mind it’s not really buffing archers, is buffing _counter-_archers. With cutting damage the arrows will still do way less damage to the heavy classes than bodkins. Although I think if this was implemented the broadhead on the longbow should be reduced by one or a few points of damage to stop it two hit killing vanguards.

So, I think it’s a good idea. What do you think?

• I love the idea of buffing counter-archers, totally agree with this. But the balance sugestions you made I’d rather leave it for a archer or someone who understands them to debate it with you man, I know little to nothing about archers (don’t even have all crossbows unlocked after 1200+h of game lol), so I don’t have a opinion about archer balance other then STOP THEM WORTHLESS ARCHERS.

• @wyrda78:

What do you think?

One word: “Crossbow”

What you describe is actually what Crossbow is.

As said before: Bow is dead!

Just remove this silly warbow+broadhead nerf. That’s by far the stupidest change ever made to balance archer class.

• No increase in arrow velocity thank you, it’s too easy to hit as it is. Warbow broadhead could probably do fine with 100 cut damage, but would once again make warbow bodkin a nono choice 95% of the time.

• @Xylvion:

No increase in arrow velocity thank you, it’s too easy to hit as it is. Warbow broadhead could probably do fine with 100 cut damage, but would once again make warbow bodkin a nono choice 95% of the time.

Just remove broadhead/bodkin choice!

1- Make bow efficient against low armor (archer, MaA) and less damaging for High Armor (Vans and Knights)
    2- Make Crossbow range much more shorter and efficient against High Armor, but less damging than bow against low armor

• Create 3 completely different damage types for arrows and bolts instead of mixing them with the same damage types melee use. Create proper resistances to these 3 types for all classes, with archers having the least so archer vs archer is fast and efficient and what you want to go for as an archer. Make arrow speeds slower like they were on beta/release Chivalry. Fix being able to switch weapons and parry out of flinch. Create huge inaccuracy penalties for moving while shooting so you have to stand still to shoot, thus making archer vs archer that much faster.

• @SOC:

Create 3 completely different damage types for arrows and bolts instead of mixing them with the same damage types melee use. Create proper resistances to these 3 types for all classes, with archers having the least so archer vs archer is fast and efficient and what you want to go for as an archer. Make arrow speeds slower like they were on beta/release Chivalry. Fix being able to switch weapons and parry out of flinch. Create huge inaccuracy penalties for moving while shooting so you have to stand still to shoot, thus making archer vs archer that much faster.

Yeah but the original coder left such a mess behind that they probably can’t even change or add resistances without breaking every weapon forever. Whether the incompetency is the coder’s fault or the current crew’s fault who can say, but I doubt they could do what you suggested and do it properly after the 2 years we’ve had since launch. They probably just said “Fuck it, nerf archers a bit and they’ll buy the next Chivalry instead.”

• Make archers take 1.2x damage from broadheads. Problem solved.

• Global Moderator

Or revert the damage nerf as it doesn’t change the HTK at all except against archers lol.

• @lemonater47:

Or revert the damage nerf as it doesn’t change the HTK at all except against archers lol.

the LCB nerf didnt change htk either lmao

• @dudeface:

Make archers take 1.2x damage from broadheads. Problem solved.

1.12x would be enough for a 1htk on torso. would also buff cutting melee weapons against archers.

• fuck broadheads, fuck bodkins, fuck bolts… archers don’t need any buffs of ANY kind. If anything they need to be nerfed further, end of discussion. Cunts, all of them. If you take away any nerf that isn’t enough to begin with, make sure any melee weapon in the entire game one shots them to any part of their body. Daggar, shortsword, whatever… one fucking shot to kill them in their leg! Most imbalanced class in the game. Too fucking easy to shoot people when they can’t do shit.

• @LongSun:

1.12x would be enough for a 1htk on torso. would also buff cutting melee weapons against archers.

Nah I meant a special case, not changing their cut resistance. Additional 1.2x after the usual calculations.

• @dudeface:

Nah I meant a special case, not changing their cut resistance. Additional 1.2x after the usual calculations.

would probably be easier just to change their cut resistance tho

• Global Moderator

@50ShadesofClay:

fuck broadheads, fuck bodkins, fuck bolts… archers don’t need any buffs of ANY kind. If anything they need to be nerfed further, end of discussion. Cunts, all of them. If you take away any nerf that isn’t enough to begin with, make sure any melee weapon in the entire game one shots them to any part of their body. Daggar, shortsword, whatever… one fucking shot to kill them in their leg! Most imbalanced class in the game. Too fucking easy to shoot people when they can’t do shit.

Such a compelling and unbiased argument.

• @lemonater47:

Actually it did, but once again you don’t know what you’re talking about.
    With 105 damage warbow broadhead was able to 2hit knights by 1 headshot and 1 bodyshot, this is not possible anymore. Vanguards could be 2hit from 1 bodyshot + 1 legshot by warbow, again not possible anymore.
    As for bodkin, it can no longer 2shot MAAs/vanguards to the legs and not 3shot knights to the legs.

If we brought the damage on broadhead up to 100 it would be possible to kill knights with head+body again but not vangaurd body+leg.

• Global Moderator

@Xylvion:

With 105 damage warbow broadhead was able to 2hit knights by 1 headshot and 1 bodyshot, this is not possible anymore. Vanguards could be 2hit from 1 bodyshot + 1 legshot by warbow, again not possible anymore.
    As for bodkin, it can no longer 2shot MAAs/vanguards to the legs and not 3shot knights to the legs.

If we brought the damage on broadhead up to 100 it would be possible to kill knights with head+body again but not vangaurd body+leg.

Strange combinations like that aren’t very common. Most shots hit the torso. That’s what everyone aims at or the head when they can. Headshots I would Imagine are more common than leg shots. Leg damage should be drastically reduced. Damage taken to the legs was actually buffed somewhere along the line from 0.5 to 0.65. No clue why. Should be 0.25. But yeah no one is gonna shoot someone in he legs multiple times. Especially not vanguards.

Murder leg damage, stamina drain for bows, jump shots have an accuracy penalty and make the crosshair disappear while you are in smoke. TB are fully capable of making this happen. And I have heard no arguments, not even a baseless ill though out argument against these changes.

• So if 1hits are so important, isn’t it ok to make archers just take more dmg from broads? Or do archers just want to have their cake and eat it too?

• buffing the warbow broadheads to 100 dmg will not affect any bow htk except the archer oneshot on archers.

• @Xylvion:

which is balanced since body+head is inferior to two body shots. you would also miss the 1 headshot, one body stab with shortsword on Knights.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.