Balance issues / design

• hi i know you love me.

any way, you guys are still the only people doing this so, props for that. any way an issue you guys had in the last game was ( get ready for the shock ) balance. you did your best so whatever. any way did you guys maybe think you should go the counterstrike route and as you do better you could upgrade from a footman to a knight? both classes could still have their effective being that the footman could be faster but maybe have a less durable shield/not hit as hard. you could add some flavor and maybe make him still be polearm exclusive etc.

any way youre adults so im sure you can see where im going with this and not need to explain it. good luck with development and what not.

• I will explain more detailedly if called for, I’m too tired at the moment.

You effectively trade in gameplay versatility and people’s class choices for a the-good-get-better-so-they-are-even-more-powerful system. No improvement, only reduction. People who like class X will have to grind for it.

So,
    NO.

• yah, you explained how BFBC2 guns work, you grind till you get the best one, no thanks

• I have no interest in a series of unlockables.

• Agreed, where in some games it helps keep people playing. I think the difficulty curve is going to be fairly high as it is, without giving the better players better weapons.

• wow i wasnt talking about unlockables as much as just upgrading per round. at the end of the day everyone would have the same things and what not but players would choose a class based on their preferred flavor. just because you could afford an AWP didnt mean you had to buy one.

• Scoutzknivez for pr0 br0’s!

In CS:S, the M4/AK47/AWP/Deagle are almost the only used weapons. The devs of THIS game are trying to make every class/weapon equal in power. For your grinding suggestion, re-read my previous post untill you understand what I said there. I’ll even put it in TL;DR for you:

Your money/whatever system makes pros able to pick any class, but noobs only able to pick footman etc. And I say nope to that system, because the game is more fun when everyone can do whatever they want and have FUN.

• Love the responses. No. Ha.

• Please refer to these threads for a more indepth and varied discussion on this theme and other ideas revolving around balance and design.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=532
    The official cosmetic unlock thread of shiny goodness!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=659&start=20
    Page three and onwards from the Favorite Class thread

Also following the Q&A will also shed some light on this issue.

Lets all try and engage in a discussion regarding ideas and suggestions rather than just shooting them down.

• Nicely done but lets try and be respectful to the op and engage in the discussion if possible.

• He’s not talking about unlockables. He’s talking about the system CS used where at the end of the round you could buy new weapons to use next round, depending on your score. The same kind of thing was also used in Fistful of Frags, if any of you remember that mod…

Which is even worse than unlockables IMO, for this kind of game.

• Considering the game´s learning curve, giving veterans “stats” advantage over newbies seems a bit overkill.

Veterans can already destroy a bunch of newbies by skill alone, a stat increase of any sort would increase the gap to ridiculous proportions.

An example of this would be cRPG mod for warband, where a knight in full gothic armor and a flamberge can slaughter 30+guys before going down, and this is a game with no health regen and directional blocking.

• when you try to balance everything something is always better than the rest. a heavy knight with a 1handed sowrd and shield shouldnt be as fast as a guy in chain with the same weapons but he should maybe be able to do a little bit more dmg and take more. thats all im saying.

basic suggestion is if you want to be the heavy knight you should just have a few kills, that way its just more iconic. or we can have it the old way where something is just crazy good and all the classes get neglected. (with exception of the players that might actually like those classes or just be messing around.)

• when u think about balance. Dude AoC had balance just there was GLITCHES. You can be a Longbowman and WRECK ANYONE u can be ANYONE and wreck ANYONE. the one thing that gave people trouble was the weapon tracing and how it gave people extra length on some people and didnt with others. Unreal Engine will fix that (hopefully) Im pretty sure in a game where you have a sword and ur only as good as ur reflexes then its not the game but YOU at that point. Unless you want people to just fight staring each other in the face cuz at the point the MAA would lose almost every fight same with the longbowman. This game is all about skill. Hence the learning curve

• You go mr.whippy…

• @Mr.Whippy:

when u think about balance. Dude AoC had balance just there was GLITCHES. You can be a Longbowman and WRECK ANYONE u can be ANYONE and wreck ANYONE. the one thing that gave people trouble was the weapon tracing and how it gave people extra length on some people and didnt with others. Unreal Engine will fix that (hopefully) Im pretty sure in a game where you have a sword and ur only as good as ur reflexes then its not the game but YOU at that point. Unless you want people to just fight staring each other in the face cuz at the point the MAA would lose almost every fight same with the longbowman. This game is all about skill. Hence the learning curve

Best post regarding aoch ever submited.

Amen.

• @cakelizard:

a heavy knight with a 1handed sowrd and shield shouldnt be as fast as a guy in chain with the same weapons but he should maybe be able to do a little bit more dmg and take more. thats all im saying.

you have played AoC for more than two minuets right?
    this is what happens and will continue to happen for chiv
    don’t like the system? MAKE A MOD; THE DEVS AREN’T EVER GOING TO CHANGE THE FUNDAMENTAL BASICS OF THE COMBAT SYSTEM BECAUSE WE WHINGE ABOUT ITS MINOR FLAWS

• @Campin:

@cakelizard:

a heavy knight with a 1handed sowrd and shield shouldnt be as fast as a guy in chain with the same weapons but he should maybe be able to do a little bit more dmg and take more. thats all im saying.

you have played AoC for more than two minuets right?
    this is what happens and will continue to happen for chiv
    don’t like the system? MAKE A MOD; THE DEVS AREN’T EVER GOING TO CHANGE THE FUNDAMENTAL BASICS OF THE COMBAT SYSTEM BECAUSE WE WHINGE ABOUT ITS MINOR FLAWS

lol who are you?

• sorry dude just thought you were another randomer come to demand a complete redesign of the game based on their ideas like so many on these forums. My mistake, old bean ;)
    sorry I took my time with this- been revising :ugeek: :ugeek: