What about the Romans?

• Plz add them or make a mod for Romans!When i play i see that people want the Romans in the game!It would be great!

• The pilum is already in CMW, thats like half the work done already.

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

@zombojoe:

The pilum is already in CMW, thats like half the work done already.

Only Secondary weapon for all classes done.

• The thing is the Spartans pretty much cover the Roman playstyle of large shield, javelins and shortsword. It’d pretty much be a reskin of that class. I’d love it if they’d do it though. In fact I’d probably main it.

• Global Moderator

@wyrda78:

The thing is the Spartans pretty much cover the Roman playstyle of large shield, javelins and shortsword. It’d pretty much be a reskin of that class. I’d love it if they’d do it though. In fact I’d probably main it.

Not really lol.

• tell me how I’m wrong.

• Global Moderator

Well they would be based around an absolutely massive shield and a short stabbing sword with a spear to throw. That wasn’t that great in melee due to its weight and weight distribution.

Spartans are based around the spear and a large cutting one handed sword with a medium sized offensive shield.

• if shield were actually good it might be okay

• Global Moderator

@zombojoe:

if shield were actually good it might be okay

Well spartan shield is the most OP thing in the game.

• @lemonater47:

Spartans are based around the spear and a large cutting one handed sword with a medium sized offensive shield.

Nope. Their shields weren’t ‘medium sized offensive shields’, and their swords were almost the same as the gladius, only being a bit more cut-centric.
    The only real difference in gameplay is that the Spartans used their spears more for melee rather than throwing.

• If you tried to use a pilum as a melee weapon the tip would snap off.

That was part of the design.

• it would bend. although it has been used historically as a melee weapon against cavalry.

basically my idea is of a Legionary version of the hoplite: it’s very similar, though instead of the phalanx/hoplite spears the legionary would choose between pila, a hasta and possibly the generic javelins used by velites. As for swords, maybe have a few types of gladius with some subtle differences, along with the spatha. And they would have the shield bash with the spears, but it would be nerfed compared to the Spartan one.

• Global Moderator

@wyrda78:

Nope. Their shields weren’t ‘medium sized offensive shields’, and their swords were almost the same as the gladius, only being a bit more cut-centric.
    The only real difference in gameplay is that the Spartans used their spears more for melee rather than throwing.

Everyone picks falcata. And all spartan swords are designed around cutting. The stab on all including the xiphos ain’t great. Not to mention the horrible stab animation.

The shield is medium sized and its highly offensive. Damn near impossible to parry lol. There is no tip to aim at. That’s how everyone uses it in the game.

BTW most pila points were actually not designed to bend or snap off. Some archaeologists found some that were designed that way which suddenly meant they all were. But the many iron shafts they found were completely solid and weren’t designed to bend. Quite often they used them against cavalry. Roman legionaries were trained in the use of the spear. Even the sling. So they can easily put that spear training into use against cavalry with the Pilum. Though against infantry they would be at a large disadvantage with it. Too heavy and badly weighted.
    Some were made to bend and snap. But the majority weren’t. The long iron shaft and the pyramid shaped tip already made it near impossible to rip out of a shield or someone quickly. Against a charging enemy the iron shaft would go right through the shield. If that didn’t kill the man holding it the back end of it would dig into the ground as it had its own spike on the end. The Pilum and shield have now stopped moving but the guy holding it is still running forward with all that momentum. He’ll end up skewering himself anyway. If he did survive all that he would have to quickly discard his shield. That’s broken. He can’t waste time sorting out his shield or even grabbing the Pilum as there’s all the men behind him running. The charge would just lose momentum if everyone did that. So the poor guy will have to charge down the enemy no shield. Probably just a spear or possibly an axe. Very little protection and in those days no one was trained how to fight without a shield.

• So you were talking ingame about the hoblite shield and sword? I was talking historically.

I don’t recall the pila shaft being specially treated to bend per se, but I remember reading that the tips were specially hardened while the shaft wasn’t. And with the length of the shaft, this would be enough to make it bend.

If you look at the design of the pilum, common sense would imply that it would bend when thrown, since it has the long iron shaft and relatively heavy and thick wooden back. The other reason I think it was designed that way was so that the long iron shaft would create minimal friction as it passed through the shield to hit the soldier behind it, with the heavy back end driving it forward.

• Global Moderator

@wyrda78:

So you were talking ingame about the hoblite shield and sword? I was talking historically.

I don’t recall the pila shaft being specially treated to bend per se, but I remember reading that the tips were specially hardened while the shaft wasn’t. And with the length of the shaft, this would be enough to make it bend.

If you look at the design of the pilum, common sense would imply that it would bend when thrown, since it has the long iron shaft and relatively heavy and thick wooden back. The other reason I think it was designed that way was so that the long iron shaft would create minimal friction as it passed through the shield to hit the soldier behind it, with the heavy back end driving it forward.

They made specially softened iron shafts for some pila. So it was guaranteed to bend. But they were in the minority. As yes there was the problem of them being thrown back. They were very devastating against roman shields which were thinner than most other shields. 2 sheets of a plywood type wood glued together essentially. The pilum was designed to cause as much disruption to enemy lines as possible. A normal javelin wouldn’t make a shield useless. It wouldn’t penetrate very far and it would be easy to pull out they usually fell out on their own. A Pilum rips through a shield. It doesn’t just make a hole it breaks the seams of the shield. The weight of it could even break the rim off a shield which could buckle the whole thing. They vastly improved the Celtic tactic of throwing a spear on the charge. The Pilum was also a great counter charge weapon. But it caused complete disarray when unleashed on the frontal ranks of an enemy force much more so than ordinary javelins.

• I don’t see the point in romans, they would be just another “shield, throwable spear and small sword” class. Better to have more variety, add cavemen instead. Or Ottoman soldiers. Or Abyssinian warriors. Or Inca warriors. Or winged hussars. Or something else than another shield class with spear and sword.

Why are you sperging about romans anyway? Because they used actual military tactics?

• def needs modern day soldiers

m4a1 in DW pls

it will certainly increase sales, mostly in the pre-pubescent age group tbh

• Global Moderator

No you need future soldiers.

Cod advanced warfare outsold ghosts. It also sold more copies than titanfall, destiny and Wolfenstein combined.

So obviously future soldiers is what people want.

• The roman shields were thick just as strong as nay rival shield not to 2 layers but 3. There is a shield in yale university it was huge and thick and is superior to a hoplite shield these were 33-42 inches. I ahve 2 historically accurate scutums myself.

The pilum was most def a javelin you dont fight with javelins you throw them. the Romans most def had them designed them so they could not be thrown back from either bending or purposely weak rivets that snap made the tip hinge. The triarii used spears and fought with spears.

I think they could ad a roman legionary to the game. the roman legionary would have shorter reach in his sword. and the developers could implement pilum into the game making it a unit size of 2 and able to damage through a shield.