Shield Viability Video for a Developer

• @LTTLWLF:

I agree that maul is ridiculous against shields, and the removal of FiR hurt them more than people realise. With the current raise, drop and attack lockout times, a lot of weapons can just force trades, and now that you can’t flinch them out of release, spacing yourself properly to prevent this is pretty much useless. It’s why I dropped shield.

Not saying I want FiR back, but the fact that removing it pretty much killed the only viable playstyle for bastard sword + shield really highlighted how weak the setup actually is.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

• fast kicks still flinch in release

• @scratch:

Watching the video I can tell you right now that you did not use your sword to it’s fullest potential damage wise. You also had issues reading your opponent and that maul over head drop damage is incredibly high.

Mechanic wise this clip shows that everything is working as intended.

What would you do different?

• @Najo:

What would you do different?

Feinted alot more while doing the cheesy body bobbing player model animation. Stick to strictly pokes due to the weapons pierce bonus and pray to god he doesn’t land a single overhead “chop”.

• @scratch:

Feinted alot more while doing the cheesy body bobbing player model animation. Stick to strictly pokes due to the weapons pierce bonus and pray to god he doesn’t land a single overhead “chop”.

Still waiting on you to explain what you would do different. I can save myself the suspense here - I bet you dont have an idea what ur on about.

• Jump stabs and fast kicks rather than feints. They were just wasting your stamina for little or no gain.

Also 3 times in that video you started an attack after the maul guy was already in windup. Forcing you to ftp. Once you hit traded him. SOW probably would of been a better choice flinch wise and considering you used stabs a lot. Then again that’s only theory.

You need lessons from the mighty InTim. Best shield sword knight main ever. Though he uses tower.

• Wolfy had a nice idea for sheilds a while back.
    Instead of draining stamina for the parry itself, it would drain stamina when you raised the shield, also the stamina drain per second held up would start immediatly instead of after 5 seconds or whatever it is atm. This would mean that 5 people could bash your shield at one time and there’d be no additional stamina drain. I think it could be worth testing that out.

• Really though jump stabs. Damn amazing with one handed bastards swords.

• That might be a bit much tbh. I think just reduce stamina drain a bit each weapon would help and please reduce remove stam drain on fast kicks

• @lemonater47:

Jump stabs and fast kicks rather than feints. They were just wasting your stamina for little or no gain.

Also 3 times in that video you started an attack after the maul guy was already in windup. Forcing you to ftp. Once you hit traded him. SOW probably would of been a better choice flinch wise and considering you used stabs a lot. Then again that’s only theory.

You need lessons from the mighty InTim. Best shield sword knight main ever. Though he uses tower.

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not. If you are not - then that is really bad advice. I am not gonna bother writing the logistics of why that is bad advice vs the maul - it will be obvious if you tried it yourself.

• @Najo:

Still waiting on you to explain what you would do different. I can save myself the suspense here - I bet you dont have an idea what ur on about.

I explained everything pretty clearly however I feel I must go into greater detail for someone like you to understand.

We will start with fight one.

Feint to poke. Very clean connection, however you followed up with a broad cleave. Cleaves deal significantly less damage and when in one vs one situations where openings are few and far between you would want to strike as hard as you possibly can. You also did a standard right to left style cleave. I am unsure if you were trying to drag it out in order to catch the tail end of his parry which even if it did connect would not only deal less damage for it being a cleave type swing but would deal less damage due to loss of momentum (you were at the tail end of the animation when the parry connected). These types of blows can scare most classes however a knight will just shrug it off because they are heavily armored.

Next you skillfully blocked the accelerated downlooked “chop” that you caused by blindly cleaving. The loss of stamina was well worth it as those types of blows still deal significant damage even if they are not within the prime strike zone. You then create distance between your opponent and pull out your secondary weapon. So basically you are swapping to a faster weapon in hopes to land a quicker weaker blow against an heavily armored opponent who you only poked once. With that type of weapon unless you are landing head chops in the primary strike zone it is still going to take at least three more hits to take him out which means if you wished to land the kill that fight then you would have needed to catch what appears to be a skilled player with his pants down four times within a single fight.

Anyways he does yet another overhead chop, you 180 sprint away out of it’s range causing you to negate the blow while saving what little stamina you had left. Very wise. You come back with a chop however he was clearly expecting it and returns another hit that you block and the stamina trade continues until you run out and die. Now hindsight is always 20/20 so it’s extremely unfair of me to say this however if I was behind the keyboard I know for a fact that if I dodge a mans attack by out ranging him that if I immediately swing afterwards that he is going to parry it because he is expecting some sort of retaliation for his embarrassing swing. At that point there is a dice luck roll on a feint but if it connects then it will give me time to backpeddle while I build up as much stamina as my opponent would let me. From there I do not know who the player is so it’s hard for me to predict his next two moves.

That’s what I would have done in regards to that first fight. However I would probably still lose anyways because a skilled Maul’ist is really the bane of this game right now.

• Using your argument, all weapons should be balanced so that throwing axes/knives are a viable setup on their own. This is what you are replacing with your shield.

• @Najo:

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not. If you are not - then that is really bad advice. I am not gonna bother writing the logistics of why that is bad advice vs the maul - it will be obvious if you tried it yourself.

Fine. Keep getting fucked over by mauls.

• 1v1 me in chivalry ill beat you with any setup

some are definitely way better than others but skill outweighs that 90% of the time

• @scratch:

I explained everything pretty clearly however I feel I must go into greater detail for someone like you to understand.

You do realize the video is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and not Deadliest Warrior right? There’s no sweet-spot for the tracers.

• @zombojoe:

fast kicks still flinch in release

That is, when they work right

• @Vanguard:

That is, when they work right

Well they work more than they don’t but yeah the failure rate is still too high to rely on kicks.

• @dudeface:

You do realize the video is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and not Deadliest Warrior right? There’s no sweet-spot for the tracers.

I was under the impression that they functioned the same. Perhaps during testing my numbers were thrown off due to hitbox locations.

• @lemonater47:

Well they work more than they don’t but yeah the failure rate is still too high to rely on kicks.

Every little bit of stamina is essential in shield play, especially against heavy weapons so kicks are generally a bad idea. Feints, FtP, CFtP, jumps, kicks and even blocking itself should be kept to an absolute minimum, otherwise you will lose. Even body feints have fuck all value for shields, as your effective window of opportunity to attack is tiny due to the lack of riposte. Unless you throw something out immediately or space yourself preemptively you’re at risk of being traded.

This is for bastard swords though, doesn’t really apply to norse/hws lotto knights.

• @LTTLWLF:

Every little bit of stamina is essential in shield play, especially against heavy weapons so kicks are generally a bad idea. Feints, FtP, CFtP, jumps, kicks and even blocking itself should be kept to an absolute minimum, otherwise you will lose. Even body feints have fuck all value for shields, as your effective window of opportunity to attack is tiny due to the lack of riposte. Unless you throw something out immediately or space yourself preemptively you’re at risk of being traded.

This is for bastard swords though, doesn’t really apply to norse/hws lotto knights.

Jumps use less stamina than feinting and have a similar effectiveness as feints. You also have a way higher chance of stabbing them in the face dealing extra damage.

Fast kicks also use less stamina than feint to parry. They flinch in release. A little risky but when it pays off (which it usually does) you are better off than you would be if you had to feint to parry. You can’t riposte with a shield so there’s no point in using FtP at all really. So don’t put yourself into a position where you have to use it.

But apparently using these over feints and FtP is somehow a really really bad idea. Strange because they actually work.