Opinions on the current messer?

• After the recent changes:

• Messer OH windup slowed 0.55 to 0.6
    • Messer OH damage increased from 90 to 95
    • Messer OH damage type changed to cut from chop

What do you guys think about the current state of the messer? (11/4/14)

• Powerful. Not too OP though. It’s good that they actually made the overhead actually do more damage than the slash, not sure if they overcompensated though.

• messer OH and slash do the same damage.

• Still numero uno weapon choice of merchants, sits right next to the maul in the caveman hall of fame.

• Global Moderator

@LTTLWLF:

Still numero uno weapon choice of merchants, sits right next to the maul in the caveman hall of fame.

Dominates Free for all along with the zwei.

• Gmace is a better caveman weapon but messer drags still keep it competitive.

• @LongSun:

messer OH and slash do the same damage.

yeah but the OH does way more damage in all practicality due to it being chop instead of cut damage.

• @zombojoe:

Gmace is a better caveman weapon but messer drags still keep it competitive.

Messer still handlehits though, gives it a bit more of an edge. hue

• Messer slash damage 95-> 85 and it’ll be fine.

• @Xylvion:

Messer slash damage 95-> 85 and it’ll be fine.

no MAA lmb 1 hits ? :(

• @zombojoe:

no MAA lmb 1 hits ? :(

sounds fine to me ;D

• doesnt need any changes

• @CRUSHED:

doesnt need any changes

/10chars

mess with it any more and its going to be useless

• Messer is in a really good spot right now. It doesnt two shot knights anymore which makes poleaxe a really nice a
    alternative if you want a weapon that can two shot knights and still be pretty effective against other classes. But Messer still has a lot of viability because of drags and it’s effectiveness against Maa. Maul is the only melee weapon that is currently OP, it just completely outclasses everything.

• I just don’t get why overhead is slower but does exactly the same amount of damage as slash. Feels kinda redundant but eh, maybe the overhead is better for dragging and that justifies it?

• @Kreittis:

I just don’t get why overhead is slower but does exactly the same amount of damage as slash. Feels kinda redundant but eh, maybe the overhead is better for dragging and that justifies it?

Like I pointed out, the messer OH now does chop damage so it’ll be better against armoured targets.

• @wyrda78:

Like I pointed out, the messer OH now does chop damage so it’ll be better against armoured targets.

nah, it was changed from chop to cut which makes it exactly the same as the slash.

also, the 1h messer OH still does chop damage and does almost exactly the same damage as the 2h messer overhead to knights.

• @wyrda78:

Like LongSun already pointed out, it’s the other way around. Read the patch notes with thought.

Current messer has absolutely zero way to 2shot knight anymore and since slash and OH do same amount of same type of damage, there is little reason to use overhead over slash.

• hence why I suggested a damage nerf on the slash to 85 which would keep the 1hit on archers.

• It’s better than the old longsword and SoW by far yet everyone thinks the game is better that way. “SoW counters vanguards!” but the messer can do it with overhead stab in torso or even two torso LMBs, so way easier and more effecient than the SoW, while also being the best weapon to use against archers and MaAs and still very strong against knights. It’s also the best pub weapon to use as a knight as it has the best HTK for its speed, range, damage and animations, along with great drags and feint potential. Maul is best for punishing mistakes which happen often in pubs but MaAs are king of melee in pubs so you don’t want to make that match up any worse.

It’s not OP. It’s strong. OP is when you can’t do anything about it. You can beat a messer knight using just about any weapon in the game on any class as long as you’re actually better than him, and since knights don’t have anything that scales off player skill that other classes don’t, you’ll even have an advantage in some cases. The “nerfs” didn’t really do much except make it easier to get flinched. Buff all knight weapons up to messer level if you aren’t going to nerf MaAs or reduce vanguard knockback/stamina drain. But first I say reduce stamina usage across the board and see how that plays before changing weapons any more.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.