LongSword buff.

• LS animations (much stab feint and reverses) and windup times make it incredibly easy to hit with, the only thing keeping it from being too good is the damage. Buff the overhead/slash damage but increase windup on overhead and universally nerf sword stab feints and I think it would be a much better weapon. Messer should still be worth using if Longsword gets a more reliable 3htk and still has range and speed advantage.

• The messer and maul are the only weapons that make knights viable. Any nerfs to them would make knights redundant, as vanguards would always be a better choice.
    I say buff the longsword to the messer’s level, for the sake of variety.

• @MissingNo:

The messer and maul are the only weapons that make knights viable. Any nerfs to them would make knights redundant, as vanguards would always be a better choice.
    I say buff the longsword to the messer’s level, for the sake of variety.

Are you fucked in the head? You must be to say that Flail isn’t a viable weapon. Pffft!

• As a guy that mainly uses longsword, pls don’t touch it.

Thank you TB

• Okay I was not expecting so many people to comment. First off, thanks for your replies, some thought out and some not, but this post is to discuss my suggestion of increasing the slash by 1 damage.

Thank you xylvion for pointing out that it would also leave archers viable to a head slash + lightkick, i missed that.

I am not here to discuss the OH 3htk ability or anything of the sort, quite the opposite.

I like that the longsword is not 3htk on knight without a headshot, I just think it needs a buff to its slash to warrant its lack of 3htk ability.
    I want this change so when you miss your headshot (and your 3htk) you still have the option to do a heavy kick and finish him off (as long as you land 1 OH).

Also, I realize that longsword is very difficult in a 1v2 scenario, but I think that is more a testament to how cheap gib tactics like maul ripostes are lame and easy rather than how LS is weak. LS should be an all around support weapon that can fit into any scenario, and with a 1dmg slash buff, I think it can fill that role more consistently.

Also, omg87, why don’t you want it to be buffed at all? it clearly is the worst of the swords.

and stinker, how do you mean LS has some of the worst animations in the game? I would say almost the exact opposite, except for the stab, but every weapon has shit stab animations. Also, i want to discuss my change, not near impossible damage type changes.

• If you ever thought old Messer was too instant or spinny, just imagine that except even faster. Then you got the Longsword. Only reason people don’t cry about Longsword’s insta overhead/stab ripostes is because it kills you so slowly, lol.

• I would use the longsword only for the extra range and drags over the SoW, and the range over the messer. You can tell the difference greatly if you go against maa being able to close the dodge distance more effectively, even vanguards and knights with shorter weapons. In comp play it can still be used effectively but you REALLY have to play a lot better than anyone using SoW or messer, and the at least 1 maul that a lot of comp teams run just to be a 1 hitter quitter spinning nightmare of death. I find myself WANTING to use the longsword more in comp, but the fact that 2 out of 4 classes have the potential of requiring 1 more hit to kill EACH is quite dissatisfying. You would think that hitting the head should not be difficult, but skilled players will either force you to hit other parts of the body that’s NOT their head, or parry anything that would hit the head. More times than not it DOES take 4 htk knights and 3 htk vanguards, same goes with pubs so it doesn’t make sense a lot of the time to pick longsword when the other two swords have either the vast damage potential or the speed to compensate.

to this day though, the longsword remains to be one of the most balanced weapons, and the animations are still nowhere near as shitty and unreadable as half the other weapons in chivalry medieval warfare. It should be the basis on how other weapons are balanced and animated, always has been that way since day 1. Old longsword was so good though I miss it, 2 hitting vanguards was never an issue to me although a lot of people seemed to think it was imbalanced for some reason.

• 2 hitting vans with the old longsword was nowhere near as easy as it was to 2 hit with SoW stabs and the SoW is still basically a vanguard hard counter after all the feint changes

• @zombojoe:

2 hitting vans with the old longsword was nowhere near as easy as it was to 2 hit with SoW stabs and the SoW is still basically a vanguard hard counter after all the feint changes

As it should be.

I honestly wouldn’t mind the LS getting a teeny tiny buff, even though I personally feel it’s better than the SoW at the moment. If anything, every classes resistance values needs to be redone so that damage changes aimed to affect one class won’t have a downstream affect on the others, bu that’s probably too much work.

• i use the LS every day, doesnt need a buff, learn to get head shots /thread

• @ŠïN:

i use the LS every day, doesnt need a buff, learn to get head shots /thread

A weapon shouldn’t be balanced around getting lucky. It was fine before it got nerfed.

• It was a long time ago but I don’t recall anyone complaining before it was nerfed.

• @Xanith:

A weapon shouldn’t be balanced around getting lucky. It was fine before it got nerfed.

Seriously though, if you don’t hit the head once with 3 overheads you’re shit tier, it’s got nothing to do with luck.

• @Xylvion:

Seriously though, if you don’t hit the head once with 3 overheads you’re shit tier, it’s got nothing to do with luck.

You’re not gonna land 3 overheads on a good player though lol.

• Alright Xylvion, you are right, you should be able to land 1 head shot out of three hits, but often that is not the case in chiv, with people twisting around sporadically etc…

But the point is, if I want to use a slash, I essentially have to have already made a headshot earlier, and there is no way to know if you made the headshot until he dies on the 3rd hit, so to make the weapon more consistent and fun to play I suggest the slash gets buffed by 1.

Now I can use all of my attacks, and even in the case that I miss the ever elusive headshot, I can still do a heavy kick to finish.
    It’s a back up plan in the case you miss the headshot, assuming you land at least 1 OH that is.

• i’m not really sure why longsword was nerfed in the first place, i think it was mainly vanguards that didn’t like being 2 shot yet plenty of vg weapons 2 shot knights as well and don’t necessarily need to hit the head at all.

Longsword is still a great weapon but i find that the person weilding the longsword just has to play a LOT better than his counterparts using other higher damaging weapons. Actually takes some skill to do well competitively with a longsword vs. say a messer for example.

still, that LITTLE bit of extra range goes a long way, and the release time is better.

• @50ShadesofClay:

i’m not really sure why longsword was nerfed in the first place, i think it was mainly vanguards that didn’t like being 2 shot yet plenty of vg weapons 2 shot knights as well and don’t necessarily need to hit the head at all.

Longsword is still a great weapon but i find that the person weilding the longsword just has to play a LOT better than his counterparts using other higher damaging weapons. Actually takes some skill to do well competitively with a longsword vs. say a messer for example.

still, that LITTLE bit of extra range goes a long way, and the release time is better.

agreed ^

its still decent just not the top choice

• Longsword definitely doesn’t need a buff, it’s fine where it is. I just played this scrimmage with 100% longsword http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340168718

• @Noobstomper:

Longsword definitely doesn’t need a buff, it’s fine where it is. I just played this scrimmage with 100% longsword http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340168718

Its stab ripostes are still pretty good.

But you would of done the same or better with a SOW or messer.

• @50ShadesofClay:

i’m not really sure why longsword was nerfed in the first place, i think it was mainly vanguards that didn’t like being 2 shot yet plenty of vg weapons 2 shot knights as well and don’t necessarily need to hit the head at all.

The polehammer is the only VG weapon that doesn’t need a HS to 2hit, whereas longsword is literally the only knight primary that doesn’t 2hit VGs.
    Weapons that require 1 HS: brandistock, zweihander
    Weapons that require 2 HS: bardiche, halberd