Developer Q&A results.

• Results from this thread: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/22214-Chivalry-Community-Q-amp-A-ask-questions-here
    We answered all that we were able to.

Q:Any chance of sneak peeks of your new unannounced game?
    A: We are not yet ready, but we’re very excited to show the community what we’re working on when we can!

Q:What can we expect as far as updates to Deadliest Warrior?
    A:We are not currently focused on updates to Deadliest Warrior.

Q:How long until the new cosmetic items are added?
    A: We’re working with Valve on getting this system up and running, so the timeline is not entirely in our hands and we don’t want to make any promises about the timing that we can’t keep. At the current rate of progress, we would not expect to have it done before the end of the year.

Q:Who has the most hours in Chivalry at TBS?
    A: It is really difficult to count our hours played, since most of our actual playtime is in the Beta and internal testing branches, which are not properly counted. To hazard a guess though, it’s probably about a tie between Tibberius Bane and SquireRamsalot.

Q:Many people are unsatisfied with the current balance in CMW, what steps will TBS take to
    solve these issues?
    A: Balance is an ongoing discussion that happens both internally and externally. Most changes to balance have come about through suggestions by the community, so we’re definitely paying attention. That said, we want to keep a healthy distance between balance patches to see how things even out before we make additional changes.

Q:How has the learning experience starting and running a company been?
    A:Its been awesome and challenging! We are grateful to be able to follow our passions and do something really exciting.

Q:Are you restarting the servers at least once a week? They’re starting to feel desynced again.
    A:We have reached out to multiplay about this.

Q:Will Torn Banner’s next project ship with an SDK instead of being patched in as it was in Chiv?
    A:Too early to tell, but that would be ideal. The sooner modders can get their hands on it the better.

Q:Do you consider mods to be an important addition to Chivalry and want to see that continue to grow for Chivalry and future Torn Banner projects?
    A:Yes. Chivalry itself started as a mod, so we’ve enjoyed having the opportunity to pay it forward. Clearly the community is capable of creating amazing things, and we look forward to the incredible maps and items to come!

Q:Is there any chance of getting the barbarian voices or objective commands added for the new maps (Outpost, Coldfront, and Fortification winners)
    A:This is not likely to happen. The memory hit for adding new VO is extreme because of lack of audio streaming. Crypt had all the VO contained within the map, and was only being used during specific instances. -There were several very similar audio questions, all share this answer-

Q:Will PC still be the main platform for Torn Banner’s future projects or are multi-platform releases a possibility?
    A:PC is our main focus. If we feel a game will work on other platforms, we will consider bringing it over.

Q:Are cosmetic purchases going to remain as items such as helmets, weapons and armors or are you looking to expand beyond that (emblems, audio/vo packs, etc).
    A: We are considering expanding the availability of cosmetic items, but can’t be any more specific at this point.

Q:Will first person death cams ever come back or at least be optional?
    A: This is unlikely due to team resources.

Q:When are you guys going to optimize battlegrounds and the new maps recently added? My fps is dropping to 45 on a GTX 970 and i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz in 24 man servers regardless of graphical settings, it’s ridiculous.
    A: This is not an issue we can reproduce in house. Please make a specific thread on the Technical Support forums. We need more information, as this is sounds like a system specific issue.

Q:What boundaries/difficulties are there in implementing balance/mechanic changes with the so-called ‘spaghetti’ code you guys have to work with?
    A:Chivalry was built in pretty adverse conditions since it started as a hobby project with remote workers all over the world. The way the game was created makes it difficult to change one aspect without affecting others.

Q:Are there any​ plans at all for better bots?
    A: Bots are not intended for Team Objective maps, but for offline combat practice. We have no plans to update them.

Q:You hinted that if a map became good enough, the creator would get $1000 and the map would be added. I’m just curious as to what this means exactly?
    A:We have a specific post addressing this over here.

Q:Are you excited about project Slasher?
    A:Yes,we love melee games, that is why we do this, and why we created Chivalry in the first place. We are always excited about new ones because we are excited about melee combat in games, and there are so few out there.

Q:Would you make another movie of the studio and the chaps?
    A:This is something we would be very excited about, perhaps as the new project progresses.

Q:What is your favourite weapon, melee or not, and what weapons are you proud of in your collection?
    A:Custom sword celebrating the release of Chivalry:

• You guys are a tiny indie group, not a huge conglomerate like Blizzard or Riot Games. We’re a tiny community, not some massive popular one like WoW, CoD or League of Legends. You don’t have to go through supervisors and multiple different teams just to post on forums and communicate posts like this to us. Do this more often.

Q: Can you be more consistent about balance patches? You said you want to keep them far spread apart, but also want to keep them small with lots of iteration. You have to pick one or the other. You haven’t done any iteration with this last patch: archers are still a huge problem, possibly even a bigger problem now after warbow nerf. Where’s your iteration? You nerfed broadsword, but MaAs are exactly the same with Norse and most of them still feel like Norse now outshines all other weapons just like broad used to. Now knights with broad aren’t viable at all any more, whereas before they at least had some sort of viability. This is why nerfing MaA weapons isn’t nerfing MaA, it’s only making knight worse. If you just nerf Norse then MaAs will switch to morning star, ect., you have to nerf MaA directly, but then also brainstorm fundamental mechanic changes to make them fit into the game better. Then we also have a huge problem with current stamina values. There’s a lot of “iteration” Tibbs promised but hasn’t come yet, instead we got a Halloween dungeon.

• Good post :encouragement::encouragement:

• Oh I didn’t expect this so soon! This is surprisingly satisfying.
    Thanks for taking your time to answer our questions Andrew!

• Thanks for answering our questions! ;)

• great post, hopefully we can at minimum try and get some sort of dev post about what’s being worked on no matter how mundane. Don’t know if anyone is familiar with SCS Software ( guys who make the euro truck games) they for the most part put up a dev blog about once a week sometimes if the they are really busy at least once a month at minimum, but no matter how little they have to say they will put out a post simply saying they have nothing to post with maybe a hint at what might be in the works. would be nice to see something similar from you guys.

• Nice post! :D Glad to see some things answered and more communication in general!

• Thanks for the post.

SOC, I speak for the majority of us: please just stop.

• Global Moderator

No first person deaths because of lack of team resources? What did you guys do lol. Change it to 3rd person, delete the first person death code then fire the guy who made the first person deaths?

• @lemonater47:

No first person deaths because of lack of team resources? What did you guys do lol. Change it to 3rd person, delete the first person death code then fire the guy who made the first person deaths?

As far as I remember the first person death cams and spectator screwd up when customization was added - everything looked blue and had some weird textures.

• why did you ruin broadhead archer vs archer? are you going to revert the nerf anytime soon?

• Global Moderator

@Bladek:

As far as I remember the first person death cams and spectator screwd up when customization was added - everything looked blue and had some weird textures.

Never saw that lol.

@jayo_chiv:

why did you ruin broadhead archer vs archer? are you going to revert the nerf anytime soon?

Well they said “most” of their balance changes were based off what the community wants. No one said to nerf it so warbow couldn’t one shot body hit other archers. TB either wasn’t thinking or misunderstood.

• Thanks for the post, good luck with your next project!

• Nice sword, Darksword armory is a little pricey, but they make some NICE blades. Personally I opt for the cheaper stuff like Cold Steel, I got a two-handed Katana Machete-type thing from them. I want that sword though. I work in Toronto, mind if I drop by and ogle it?

Also, thanks for the post, don’t let SoC get you down with his off-topic pissing.

• Thanks for responding to the Q&A

Hopefully we can have more in the future.

• This post is deleted!

• Cheers for answering my question honestly, really appreciated.

• @Andrew:

Q:You hinted that if a map became good enough, the creator would get $1000 and the map would be added. I’m just curious as to what this means exactly?
    A:We will have a specific post addressing this soon.

Cautious yaaaaay

@Andrew:

Q:Are there any​ plans at all for better bots?
    A: Bots are not intended for Team Objective maps, but for offline combat practice. We have no plans to update them.

:sorrow:
    ^ that really didn’t do my reaction justice, but you get the idea.

• Many thanks for the answers!

• Thank you for the responses. Hang in there TB.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.