Question for feint haters

• Someone from the militant anti-feinting demographic recently said to me that feinting with fast weapons is more shameful, and that it is more forgiveable to feint with slower weapons, mentioning the maul specifically. I’d argue that the maul is a weapon that gives less requirement to feint because it is more serviceable for performing big drags and that generally speaking weapons with longer release times are the ones that least require feints.

What weapon characteristics do you feel harbour more/less requirement to feint?

• Well if defensive feint counts, then slow windup weapons imo you gotta ftp and cftp a lot or you are dead, see noobs playing with maul/zweihänder.

But I do a lot of offensive feinting with said weapons too (more the zwei because I usually just go vanguard), because it gives you far more unpredictability and due to its huge ass range, you can keep control of the fight easily.

Now fast weapons like the shortsword, I feint less because you just do that scarry facehug + body feints and people panic parry. No one panic parry like that against a zwei or any other slow windup weapon.

Anti-feint mentality is just stupid imo. Such a valid game mechanic, I liked it when I was a noob because it allowed me to hit veterans, I like it now because it gives many variables in fights. The game is deeper when you use feints imo.

• I’d say it relies on a nasty mix of short reach + slow speed.

Many Knight primaries really need feints as a last-resort to prevent getting knocked back to the edge of the world in group fights and especially rely on feints now that kick is broken and slow Knight players can’t do anything against spin2win fags except watch 'em dance and wait till they can dance no more.

Not every slow weapon benefits that much from feints (like the Maul), but it’s those retardedly short weapons like Double Axe, Bearded Axe, Grand Mace and Warhammer that are trash tier without some.

(I’m not saying those particular weapons are horrible, I’m just saying feints are those weapons’ best hope of ever competing with 3rd person So You Think You Can Dance bullshit. Especially since kicks are STILL broken.

• You can fall for a maul feint and still have time to parry a second time lol. People rarely fall for them anyway as it takes a while for the weapon to actually get to you. Only way to feint with a maul is to spam feint, run out of stamina and go for the one shot hoping they haven’t gone for an attack already.

• Maul feint to backwards overhead avoids the parry timing problem.

• My ways more hilarious and humiliating.

• @lemonater47:

Only way to feint with a maul is to spam feint, run out of stamina and go for the one shot hoping they haven’t gone for an attack already.

The only way? Maybe watch Spook and play the game instead of the forum.

• @gregcau:

The only way? Maybe watch Spook and play the game instead of the forum.

Y so serious?

• Mod

Fast weapon feints are already annoying due to australian pings + my WA ping, if I don’t parry almost the split second I see a claymore flinch in the enemies hands, it’ll hit me. Not the games fault. Just an issue with Australia’s shitty internet.

• @Tyoson:

Fast weapon feints are already annoying due to australian pings + my WA ping, if I don’t parry almost the split second I see a claymore flinch in the enemies hands, it’ll hit me. Not the games fault. Just an issue with Australia’s shitty internet.

But NBN mate.

• plot twist: 1h feints are easier to read then 2h feints because its not about animation but timing

cant use timing when a stab goes inside you, or well you could but its quite hard

i havent fell for a stab feint in a while, i feel like when my enemy’s torso is lagging around and not bending smoothly some OH feints are harder

• @Tyoson:

It’s just as bad on the receiving end some days. You bloody Perth boys and your clay/spear shenanigans.

• @CRUSHED:

plot twist: 1h feints are easier to read then 2h feints because its not about animation but timing

cant use timing when a stab goes inside you, or well you could but its quite hard.
    i havent fell for a stab feint in a while, i feel like when my enemy’s torso is lagging around and not bending smoothly some OH feints are harder

Jerking torso around with high ping on oh feints especially on the swords pretty retarded imo. Even maul oh feints seem harder to me than like a normal feint on a warhammer or Messer or something lol

• Mod

@LTTLWLF:

It’s just as bad on the receiving end some days. You bloody Perth boys and your clay/spear shenanigans.

I very rarely use claymore or spear. It’s usually fork if I use any spear haha. Claymore I pull out on coldfront because, well it’s a cunt map so I may as well be a cunt with it :D

• Dat shortsword stab feint to reverse overhead.

/flex

• Some people get annoyed when I feint with norse+shield. I don’t mind, they can heavy kick me if they want. It’s still fun cheesing them to death with stabs;).

• Feinting with a very fast weapon is the lowest. You have to parry as soon as you see them winding up or you wont make it. How are you supposed wait and see if it’s a feint?

• @Agent:

Feinting with a very fast weapon is the lowest. You have to parry as soon as you see them winding up or you wont make it. How are you supposed wait and see if it’s a feint?

I cant do it very consistently but apart from norse facehug stab or lookdown feints, 1h feints ARE readable. now im not the best at feint reading but when im in good shape i manage to read some. and i’d say its balanced like this because if you let someone with a norse come in facehug range you’ve already made a mistake.

• @J-D:

I cant do it very consistently but apart from norse facehug stab or lookdown feints, 1h feints ARE readable. now im not the best at feint reading but when im in good shape i manage to read some. and i’d say its balanced like this because if you let someone with a norse come in facehug range you’ve already made a mistake.

if they are hugging your bubble with a decent range 1h weapon its nearly impossible to call the feint on the faster weapons like shortsword or norse

stabs are generally bullshit and pretty fast so stab feints in general are hard to call

• Thought this would be interesting.

From some book on medieval sword fighting, paraphrasing some other text from the 1600s