Question for feint haters

• @J-D:

I cant do it very consistently but apart from norse facehug stab or lookdown feints, 1h feints ARE readable. now im not the best at feint reading but when im in good shape i manage to read some. and i’d say its balanced like this because if you let someone with a norse come in facehug range you’ve already made a mistake.

if they are hugging your bubble with a decent range 1h weapon its nearly impossible to call the feint on the faster weapons like shortsword or norse

stabs are generally bullshit and pretty fast so stab feints in general are hard to call

• Thought this would be interesting.

From some book on medieval sword fighting, paraphrasing some other text from the 1600s

• Even back then people probably whined about feints.
    Oh wait, they died.

• @Vanguard:

Well if defensive feint counts, then slow windup weapons imo you gotta ftp and cftp a lot or you are dead, see noobs playing with maul/zweihänder.

But I do a lot of offensive feinting with said weapons too (more the zwei because I usually just go vanguard), because it gives you far more unpredictability and due to its huge ass range, you can keep control of the fight easily.

Now fast weapons like the shortsword, I feint less because you just do that scarry facehug + body feints and people panic parry. No one panic parry like that against a zwei or any other slow windup weapon.

Anti-feint mentality is just stupid imo. Such a valid game mechanic, I liked it when I was a noob because it allowed me to hit veterans, I like it now because it gives many variables in fights. The game is deeper when you use feints imo.

Agree. And you forgot one thing: It’s quite entertaining seeing some lvl 50+ guys go mad in chat.

• I’ve been around for a while and, though I still dislike feints, I realize one simple thing; it’s not really about balance. Put enough people in this game and you’ll find some who are so insanely good they can read any feints. Like balance in SC2, there is so much multitasking required it’s impossible for a normal person, but a very small few can compete on a level that just can’t be dreamed of by the rest of us.

Though if you’re dueling, it’s common courtesy to announce that you will be using feints first. In the end, skill-level or not, it’s just down to preference. In team fights it doesn’t matter, there’s enough chaos there for it to be unfair anyhow. If you’re able to read feints, you’re on that level where you deserve to use them offensively without any concern. You’re just that good.

If you can’t read them, it’s back to that personal preference. A lot of people like feints even though they can’t defend against them directly, and that’s fine. But it’s a very different kind of fight than it is from without feints.

• Today I had a person who was going to “start playing seriously”, he picked up the claymore and started spamfeinting, then he ragequit when he noticed that it didn’t work either.

• @The:

I’ve been around for a while and, though I still dislike feints, I realize one simple thing; it’s not really about balance. Put enough people in this game and you’ll find some who are so insanely good they can read any feints. Like balance in SC2, there is so much multitasking required it’s impossible for a normal person, but a very small few can compete on a level that just can’t be dreamed of by the rest of us.

Though if you’re dueling, it’s common courtesy to announce that you will be using feints first. In the end, skill-level or not, it’s just down to preference. In team fights it doesn’t matter, there’s enough chaos there for it to be unfair anyhow. If you’re able to read feints, you’re on that level where you deserve to use them offensively without any concern. You’re just that good.

If you can’t read them, it’s back to that personal preference. A lot of people like feints even though they can’t defend against them directly, and that’s fine. But it’s a very different kind of fight than it is from without feints.

I like no-feint fights to practice drags and these kind of things. But I don’t really enjoy it, because your opponent have the sure that every attack of you will be a real one, thus a great part of mind games are gone.

@Peter:

Agree. And you forgot one thing: It’s quite entertaining seeing some lvl 50+ guys go mad in chat.

Ragequit is always funny lol. I also find it funny when people say to me “mang your lvl 49 and you still feint, such a noob”

• There is still mind-games in the act of figuring out when to attack. But I prefer when the windup times are longer, more possibility for drags and also more opportunity to time an attack to cancel your opponents (instead of always hit trading).

Feints necessitate a very aggressive style of play which some love, and others don’t.

• @Xylvion:

Today I had a person who was going to “start playing seriously”, he picked up the claymore and started spamfeinting, then he ragequit when he noticed that it didn’t work either.

Most people think feinting is an instant win button, it’s pretty funny watching people get double parried or traded because they have no idea what they’re doing. Although it’s the mediocre feint-happy players that are the worst in my opinion, they never ftp, cftp or feint to avoid hitting a team mate. My sides go into orbit whenever I see them eat a maul overhead after trying to feint during a trade kek.

• @Xylvion:

Even back then people probably whined about feints.
    Oh wait, they died.

Doesn’t look like he was whining about anything.

• @Userper:

plz read between the lines of that book.

• @Userper:

Well, the author is not really complaining about anything, true. But he seems to be replying to those who thought different. He does define feints as “hateful” movements in nature, but in the end he’s OK with them. Thus, he appeals to “the art of defeating an enemy” and calls feints fair moves that don’t “offend justice and (good) faith” (i.e., honour).

Others thought the opposite, and probably got killed.