This is why I'm quitting

• Great, another whiny “I quit”-thread. Haven’t had one of these in a while now.

Anyway, I’m through with the BS called Chivalry after 1585 hours and am ready to turn it from a “Shortcut at Desktop”-game to “Uninstalled and somewhere buried in my Steam Library”-game at last and I thought I’d make this topic for the sole sake of listing what is wrong with Chivalry, and its meta.

**Unresponsiveness
    **It just is. I can’t record proof of something that is not experienced solely in-game. But I bet many will say “Yep, I get that too” when I give some examples;

• Ripostes simply don’t work properly. They don’t. 80% of the time it seems to go fine, but it’s the 20% where you input an attack perfectly in time, not too late nor too early, and the game does: nothing.
      Your character doesn’t attack at all.
      Also comes in the great variation of your character performing a normal attack instead of a riposte about half a second too late.
    • Randomly can’t combo. After I riposte I randomly can’t combo anymore from time to time, completely unrelated to being flinched, teamhit or whatever. I suddenly can’t combo for no bloody reason leaving me open in a longass release.
    • Reflexes barely matter. There are times where I try to ftp in time but it just won’t go up. No, I’m not talking about moments where you need to play recorded footage in super slow-motion to see if I timed it correctly, I mean odd moments where I try to ftp and nothing happens, thus ending up in me receiving enemy blows.
      Sometimes I don’t get hit after this “failure”, and so my character does an automatic air parry after the attack. Which proves that the game registered my parry-input, but not my feint-input before that.
      Lag, fps, incorrect attack states, blame whatever you want. It just shouldn’t happen.

**Unoptimization
    **Honestly the game feels by now as if Torn Banner tried to create its own modified version of the Unreal Engine and it completely backfired. From time to time it feels like the game is hogging such an unnecessarily high amount of memory that it seems it’s trying to load every single asset at once.

I ask this; Why does a game, that requires so much precision, reflexes and overall smart and quick thinking, perform so poorly? It seems… unfair, for lack of a better word.
    Only after a load of manual .ini edits I got it to run smoothly on all official maps. The game looks like Runescape now so that’s cool…
    Never before have I played a game where the resolution setting mattered so little in performance while ruining UI elements so much. Which reminds me; multiple settings in the Settings Menu still don’t work/do anything.

**Meta
    **Now this problem is more than likely due to a natural cause; the game’s lifetime. Over the course of 2 years players slowly discovered drags, reverses, weapons more powerful than others, some class-based exploits, the effectiveness of caveman-meta and so forth.

Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be fixed.

This is my main concern with the game’s current feel; there’s no flow of combat. It has become a turn-based RPG.
    As soon as my opponent gets a chance to combo, be it from a mistimed parry on my end or a miss on his, he can just combo ON AND ON AND ON and there’s practically nothing I can do about it safe for waiting until he runs out of stamina.
    MAA’s can dodge, and maybe an Archer can run away, but Vanguards and Knights can’t do jack squat against a combo-ing, long-ish weapon. Your opponent keeps doing retarded spins but what will you do about it? You can’t do anything about it but wait. Wait for one of your parries to actually connect with his attacks, wait until he has no stamina left to dance with, wait for him to hit the ground.

Kick? Yeah, good luck. Still broken. It’s nice to see Torn Banner has those great priorities where fixing a core mechanic such as kicking is already taking over 3 months and if a fix is ever announced, it will probably require a full balance patch for no reason at all.

I just tried kicks out in a classic duel server. I joined the game for the sole purpose of trying out kicks at situation where kicks should be ideal on paper.
    Literally none of those situations turned out the way they should have. Maul b0ckswing combo? Let me just kick!
    Oh no, wait. I receive full Maul torso damage while the other guy is flinched and knocked back a full second too late.
    And this happens all the time. Vanguard with long swords or polearms, Knights with long, devastating weapons (pretty much the Maul only)…
    You can’t do anything nowadays but wait for them to stop spinning, because with all the instant-overheads such as lookdowns or reverses, kick is just too slow.
    That is, if kick actually works. Let’s not even talk about the times where I spam F over and over again and my character just stands there doing nothing flinched or not, or the times where my feet flew right through my opponent’s codpiece with 0 impact.
    The bugs and exploits
    **There are a lot of them. The end.

So yeah, that’s that. I don’t feel like continuing the list because it’s clear that when this gets fixed (or changed, because I’m sure far too many players disagree with me), the meta continues.

PS we all know quitting Chivalry is a made-up concept. I’ll probably re-install in less than a week, but I definitely am never trying to play this game seriously again.

• Basically wait for slasher. :p

• @zombojoe:

Basically wait for slasher. :p

Oh hey, that’s right, forgot about that for a second.

#slasherwhen

That’s better.

• I don’t get any of those things under unresponsiveness.

You sure your mouse is working properly? You may be getting hit in release as well.

• @lemonater47:

I don’t get any of those things under unresponsiveness.

You sure your mouse is working properly? You may be getting hit in release as well.

Well, I do. And a shit ton of other people. It aint all of our mouses…

Shit has been very unresponsive lately, and it seems to just be getting worse and more often with time…

• I can confirm the unresponsive ftp actions, lately it just wont do it as fast as it used to.

• Ripostes working like shit and things not queuing properly like combos after ripostes has been in for a long time. that is just the game - it will never be any different. Anyone else get the occasional random attack relating to mouse wheel every now and again? Me and all my buddies get it.

The game has always favoured combo babying with fast weapons as it gives you every advantage and if you use a light wep the drain aint so bad. It simply boils down to which wep allows you to get the most attacks off quickly with low htk so you can trade and be safe from punishment most of the time - fast sword metacavemaning. Gotta play a just as fast wep and spam look downs or deal with it and #slasherwhen.

You guys make these threads like the game was ever any different. It has always been this way and the issues have only got more glaring as time has gone on.

• Sounds like you have packetloss issues.

• Anyway welcome to, what I assume you will be going to, Counter Strike Global Offensive. A game that rewards skill far more than Chivalry can, I wish it wasn’t true.

• Just play part time tbh. The op might enjoy reducing his Chivalry more if spread out over time.
    You don’t actually lose skills earned at Chivalry imo. Its not as if you have to master strafe
    runs or rocket jumps but merely pick up a sword fight. This stuff is not forgotten at all.

• @Toll:

Anyway welcome to, what I assume you will be going to, Counter Strike Global Offensive. A game that rewards skill far more than Chivalry can, I wish it wasn’t true.

You mean awards luck.

• @Rickvs:

**Meta
    **Now this problem is more than likely due to a natural cause; the game’s lifetime. Over the course of 2 years players slowly discovered drags, reverses, weapons more powerful than others, some class-based exploits, the effectiveness of caveman-meta and so forth.

Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be fixed.

This 100%.The game has too many lvl40+ spinning knights and vanguards with 5000 DPI, that are practically unbeatable when playing against them properly(as the game was intended).

• @nanotekGT:

This 100%.The game has too many lvl40+ spinning knights and vanguards with 5000 DPI, that are practically unbeatable when playing against them properly(as the game was intended).

Does properly mean only LMB with not feint or block?

• @nanotekGT:

I never said they were unbeatable. I’m sorry, I disagree with you on this. If anything, I find non-stop dragging predictable and (under normal circumstances) easily countered.

But that’s my point. Those “normal” circumstances are rare (and by rare circumstances I mean when kick bloody functions correctly).

The big problem I have with spin2win is that there’s no end to it. Your opponent keeps ruining the flow of combat by combo’ing on and on and on and there’s nothing you can do about it but either attempt to kick and fail at it or attempt to dance out of reach, which is a suicidal plan when you play as a Knight or sometimes even a Vanguard.

I’m assuming it’s become quite clear by now but I’ll say it again to end this post;

I absolutely fucking hate having to wait for your opponent to stop combo’ing every single time instead of having the opportunity of making him stop.

• @ChuckingIt:

Of course. Everyone knows the right mouse button was not intended to be used.
    It is the Devil’s Button!

• @Xylvion:

You mean awards luck.

Care to explain? So how is Counter Strike luck based or rewards luck…wtf?

I’m surprised to said something like that since you play chivalry…a game that highly rewards luck because of how broken it is.

Go spectate some ‘‘competitive’’ scrims. Count the amount of desyncs and lucky kills, count the times people try to gamble because how easy hit trades are and how unrewarding reading feints are, they rather gamble than waste time and try to read a good feint. Then you unbalanced mechanics like dodge and weapons like firepots, incosistent mechanics like flinch. It adds way too much randomness, hard to consider this a competitive game.

At this point you should know what luck really is, there’s no mechanic in CS that rewards gambling. randomness will always be there because we’re humans, and other factors like lag, bugs, balance, but in no way CS rewards lotto gamblers. It’s not even close to chivalry when it comes to randomness.

• @The random joe above
    A complete noob can get a lucky headshot and get a kill, similar to crossbows in chivalry, however good you are you can still get hit by a random shot around the corner or just a random shot in general. You can’t do anything to evade the person, just hope that you’re lucky and he misses. (Ofc you can do left to right movements and duck in between and stuff, but you can’t actually make the other persons bullets useless). But then ofcourse there’s skill in FPS games as well, which includes reaction times and recoil management.
    Even if chivalry is glitchy and desyncs all the time and ping, FPS and FOV makes you perform in other ways you can actually do something against people trying to hit you, except for archers and throwables. If you see your enemy gamble in chiv it’s your fault for not using mechanics such as CftP or FtP as gambling usually occurs when you’re feinting then you should be prepared to parry right after.

• @ChuckingIt:

No, by proper i mean everything, except dragging, rainbow overhead, doing stuff that would be physically not possible with all that armour on.

• @nanotekGT:

doing stuff that would be physically not possible with all that armour on.

Oh boy here we go

• @Xylvion:

@The random joe above
    A complete noob can get a lucky headshot and get a kill, similar to crossbows in chivalry, however good you are you can still get hit by a random shot around the corner or just a random shot in general. You can’t do anything to evade the person, just hope that you’re lucky and he misses. (Ofc you can do left to right movements and duck in between and stuff, but you can’t actually make the other persons bullets useless). But then ofcourse there’s skill in FPS games as well, which includes reaction times and recoil management.
    Even if chivalry is glitchy and desyncs all the time and ping, FPS and FOV makes you perform in other ways you can actually do something against people trying to hit you, except for archers and throwables. If you see your enemy gamble in chiv it’s your fault for not using mechanics such as CftP or FtP as gambling usually occurs when you’re feinting then you should be prepared to parry right after.

Oh wait, cftp and ftp are inconsistent, adding another element of randomness because of broken game mechanics, one of the reasons why OP quit this game, remember?. Did you forget the fact that cftp will eventually fuck you over because it takes a considerable amount of stamina? specially against MAAs.

Calling me a random joe totally makes your argument much more believable, FPS players laugh at your comment though. You act like this game requires much skill when all you need is knowledge on how to beat each setup 1v1, because the devs have always pushed a Rock/paper/scissors playstyle, the massive stamina limitations make it more obvious.

Surprised you’re talking to me about this stuff since i doubt you’re into the almost dead competitive scene in chivalry, let alone in CS.