What happened to Chivalry?

• INTELLIGENT ANSWERS ONLY, NO RAGING OR FLAMING, READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE REPLYING.

Disclaimer: Most of these points are not my opinions but rather observations and are not meant for malice.

Alright so, I’ve gotten to this game quite late and have gained quite a bit of experience but have noticed a number of things which I’m curious about.

First thing I noticed with this game is how incredibly vicious a majority of players can be. People spouting racism, flaming, raging, and saying quite barbaric and very cruel things. Some would say they’re “just trolling” but there’s a difference between trolling and being right off hateful and vicious, but I digress.

I’ve heard quite a good bit of this game in all aspects through reviews and second opinions, at least there were good until I got here, so I wound the clock back a year and checked around the forums and steam forums and talked to some of the fairer more friendly veterans and found a HUGE amount of people with the hours and kills and stories all racked up, had quit, and only trolls and arseholes had chose to stay.

I looked around on pages about Deadliest Warrior to find it hasn’t been hugely patched in quite a long time. Then looking at a few patch notes from months back I found Torn Banner started introducing weapon and armor skins for actual money and people were quitting there saying “Torn Banner has resorted to micropayments”. While I don’t agree with that I do think that’s an odd direction to take.

Finally, and most recently, a majority of people have taken to saying Torn Banner has abandoned their own game and they’ve cut all contact off with the community, I don’t agree as they have been doing patchwork recently but a significant minority have been saying Torn Banner will abandon it again.

So, those points laid out, could someone elaborate what happened to Chivalry? Does anyone know what specifically happened or are their any opinions as to what some say “made TB fall on their own knife” so to speak? I know that Torn Banner is changing as most of their Chivalry crew is no longer with them but that doesn’t tell the whole story.

• Global Moderator

“The reason people can never be happy because they think the past better than it was, the present worse than it is and the future less resolved than it will be.”

The community was always bad. As a server admin on 20 servers as far as bans being handed out I’m handing out far less bans than I was a year ago. And one of our admins left.

Whatever TB does to the game people will be unhappy. Especially if they touch balance. Its a no win situation for torn banner.

No one knows what’s going on. We can only assume. That’s game development for you.

• torn banner dun goofed the balance imho

doesnt take a mental giant to understand why the recent archer nerf was actually a huge buff

• To back up what Lemon said, the community is actually far less hateful than it used to be, both in game and on the forums. A lot of people have been banned from the forums, and player base is much more casual now, nobody has any expectations of forming a big competitive scene to be passionate about.

The devs aren’t that bad either, they do patch occasionally, and I’m certain they’ll be another round of balance patches coming up sooner or later, but tbh they’re fighting a losing battle. It’s impossible to make everyone happy, and whatever they do provokes rage from one camp or another, so coming to these forums can’t really be inspirational for them. Also, and by all accounts, it’s not an easy code base to work with, so any large changes have knock on effects and cause new issues.

They’re also working on a new game, which I’m confident is some kind of sequel to chivalry, so I wouldn’t expect too many developments on this game going forward; just another round of balance changes (or maybe two), and a few new paid items to provide some income. We’ll probably see a few more new maps incorporated from the community as well.

I wouldn’t expect much else from this game, just enjoy it for what it is, and hopefully the next iteration will be more solid.

• @Skorm:

First thing I noticed with this game is how incredibly vicious a majority of players can be. People spouting racism, flaming, raging, and saying quite barbaric and very cruel things. Some would say they’re “just trolling” but there’s a difference between trolling and being right off hateful and vicious, but I digress.

I have never seen anywhere else on the internet like this. A very good specific-to-Chivalry argument.

• Community is pretty normal for the internet - possibly with a few more chivalrous people here. It is much more personal though getting killed with a sword and having your had hacked off than being shot from a high powered rifle 2000 yards away.

Competitive community is never happy regardless and rarely agree on anything so ignore that.

The main issue I think was a poor communication strategy. The reality is they have done a lot of work on CMW this year and it is well appreciated, you just never really know how much support they will do on it because they do not state their intentions.

DW personally I only played for about 15 hours and while amusing was never as good as CMW for a variety of reasons.

Now obviously they are working a new project, but still providing support for the existing (I have had tons of fun on the horde mode).

The player base is split right now. The super competitive people are playing on the existing servers. Most of the casual player base have migrated to using family share accounts and playing on the noob servers. I played a lot on their and I can tell that half the players are not their rank, but neither are they very good so it works fine - keeps the noob servers busy, the highly skilled killers on their own servers. And generates some extra revenue because you can only do a limited number of family share accounts before needing to purchase another copy of the game.

While some people yap about slasher, the reality is it is an enormous effort to go from a basic working melee system to a polished product. TBS now has a solid team and they have gained a huge amount of knowledge from CMW. I can only expect that their next product is going to be extremely good.

• Global Moderator

When I made a family share account the second account maintained rank and unlocks.

• @lemonater47:

When I made a family share account the second account maintained rank and unlocks.

Make a new Windows user for it.
    New My Documents folder == New stats. It doesn’t work if you just delete/edit your own main folder though.

Although granted, there aren’t too many lowrank servers anymore as far as I’m concerned. Now it’s just as if 50% of the TO servers got replaced by Crypt servers. I hope this is reverted when the official servers come back online.

• I didn’t have to do anything special on Windows 7 - just create a new account, new email, shared main account with new account. Did it maybe 5 times or so before Steam had me buy another copy of the game. But then horde mode came.

• Why can’t you see? The server problem exists entirely because of lack of good bots. Why is everyone so opposed to them?

• @Skindiacus:

Why can’t you see? The server problem exists entirely because of lack of good bots. Why is everyone so opposed to them?

Everyone would love amazing bots that could act like an independently thinking rank 40.

But at some point you have to grow up and realize its not possible.

• Yes, but…

awww

• Global Moderator

Only way you are gonna have good bots is of they program some learning AI that learns from players.

But that requires wizards.

• Or Nintendo.

• Get Cleverbot in there.

• I can agree, there’s room for improvement with the bots, I’d somewhat like to see bots that can lead moving targets with ranged weapons, that’s actually possible I’d say, the devs of Destroy All Humans were able to do that even with it’s horrible AI in 2006.

• As I’ve said many times before, I’d be okay with bots that aren’t good at combat, but can do objectives. Actually, that probably sounds too intimidating. How about bots that can leave the spawn?
    You guys know creeps from DotA? No? Well, they’re just bots that travel from your spawn to the enemy, and they suck at combat. Aside from gameplay, all they really do is make the battlefield look more populated. Chivalry bots could be like this. Many games have a system that if a slot is empty, it is held by a bot. This is worthwhile, in my opinion, as every server would always seem to be full. You could play with only three others, and there would yet be a full blown battle. At the moment, no official server has this in place, and rightfully so. The bots are simply not at the development level to be part of the multiplayer game.

If the “single player practice” notion is dropped, we can start making small steps towards better bots.

• @Skorm:

I can agree, there’s room for improvement with the bots, I’d somewhat like to see bots that can lead moving targets with ranged weapons, that’s actually possible I’d say, the devs of Destroy All Humans were able to do that even with it’s horrible AI in 2006.

good AI isn’t impossible its just nobody bothers in casual games

ARMA 3 AI with some AI mods can be pretty scary

• Back in the day (Q3 arena) some bots were custom made such as laker bot and others, why they could even
    smell fear hehe. After completing the game on night mare many sought these bots out but regretted it tbh.

• TB definitely hasn’t abandoned this game, it’s probably not their MAIN focus, but they haven’t abandoned it. The people who say that have unrealistic expectations for what TBS should do to fix the game; thus dubbing the game “abandoned”. As far as the rude players, just assume they’re naive and don’t know any better. After all, chances are the school they attend has a “snack time”. Just know that there’s still plenty of mature players playing this game; a few bad apples spoil the bunch.