Your own medieval kit!

• Hiya everyone who actually visit the Community Content subforum!

I want to see pictures of what kind of medieval clothing, armour and weaponry you might have. The following picture is of me and what I’ve got. I’ve also got two capes/cloaks not shown, but they’d just cover up mah new bling-bling shirt of mail, yo!

Doesn’t have to be a medieval kit either. I’m happy if you’re a viking or a landsknecht or a hoplite too!

• Not bad for a squire.

• Actually I came here from “Unread Posts”. I like your garage. Would be concerning if you told me that’s your bedroom.

• @dudeface:

Not bad for a squire.

I could actually need a squire, to help put on that mailshirt.

(Oh, and my forum title is actually Duke!)

@Rickvs:

Actually I came here from “Unread Posts”. I like your garage. Would be concerning if you told me that’s your bedroom.

You kidding? It’s my kitchen.

• I also tried out how flexible I am in gambeson and mail. If people are interested, this is how I can move my arms:

1. With a straight arm, I can’t move it across my chest more than this.
      http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w673/Savage_Beatings/2014-11-17223551_zps5c846e6d.png

2. I can’t raise my arm higher than this.
      http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w673/Savage_Beatings/2014-11-17223425_zpsa5ca3210.png

3. Makes me look butch, because I can’t let my arms hang normally by my sides.
      http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w673/Savage_Beatings/2014-11-17223329_zpse10b2374.png

It’s all because of the gambeson. It’s so thick and stiff (that’s what she said.) Tried the mailshirt over a hoodie instead and I was fully mobile, though weighted down. The trade-off is that without a thick gambeson, a sword strike will hurt as hell even if it won’t cut you.

• But you only play archer in game, this doesn’t make sense.

• @Xylvion:

But you only play archer in game, this doesn’t make sense.

Is this better?

• Thats a pretty nice collection you’ve got there. Are you a part of some medieval sparring/fighting club, LARP-ing or just simply collecting medieval stuff?

• There you go, now you look like a real scrub, hue.

• how many florins did that cost you?

• @Vesanus:

Thats a pretty nice collection you’ve got there. Are you a part of some medieval sparring/fighting club, LARP-ing or just simply collecting medieval stuff?

I’m just collecting stuff. I would love to do HEMA and be part of a reenactment group, but I don’t know about any nearby. I know there are a couple of schools teaching HEMA, but they’re too far away from me.

@zombojoe:

how many florins did that cost you?

I paid in swedish kronor (SEK) so go ahead and translate these into your inferior currency.

Mail shirt went for 1500, size medium (cost more the bigger the size)
    Gambeson was 1000, the cheapest one I found.
    Don’t remember the sword exactly, but was one of the cheapest. 1500 maybe.
    Bought the bow by hungarians at a medieval market, 1500 for it + quiver + three arrows.
    Shield made by me, but material costed. Shield boss was 250.
    The clothes are made by me (and mother) so it’s whatever cloth costs.

• No one else likes playing medieval dress-up? :(

• Heh, I was thinking about that, need money and time though. ^^

• I have knifes and stuff and a couple swords but no armors. More things to spend money on tbh. I like the shield though, I was thinking of making one myself. Any tips?

• I just have some cheap katana knock-off. Also WHAT is going on in that avatar of yours, Oy?

• I searched Star Trek looking for some funny alien face for a new avatar, but this was the first image that popped up. Of course I had to grab a keeper like this one.

• @Oy:

I like the shield though, I was thinking of making one myself. Any tips?

If you want to make a round shield, it’s fairly easy. I say fairly, because a kite or a heater shield are curving outward and you need to make straps and a cushion for the arm. On a round shield, it’s just a straight stick for a handle.

What you need to order from a medieval online shoppe or whatever, is a shield boss. It’s not expensive, I got mine for ~$30. Plus shipping. They also sent bolts to fasten the thing for free, so that was nice. But to fasten the bolts, you need a blowtorch, an anvil and a hammer, so you can flatten it on the other side. If you don’t wanna do that, and don’t care about authenticity - regular nails works.

So yeah, depending on your budget and how historically correct you want the shield, there are a few ways to do it. I followed this tutorial on Youtube though, so you can see which route I chose. Don’t choose too thick of a plywood board. Round shields are held with just the hand in the middle, so it gets heavy. So keep the weight down. Unless you’re a strong man, then go ahead. But I’d say 7mm (1/4 inch) thick is good. It depends on what thicknesses they are sold at where you live. Historical viking shields are around 6 to 12mm. The size of the shield is up to what works best with your body size, I might have made my shields a bit small at 75cm diameter. Shields were usually 80-90cm diameter, and even earlier iron age shields were bigger than that. Again, there’s the issue of weight.

You cover the shield with canvas, both sides if you want to. It makes it heavier, but more durable and… you don’t have to see the ugly plywood on the backside. If someone were to strike the edge of your shield with a sharp sword, the wood wouldn’t splinter as the canvas on both sides of it holds it together. If you wanna go with a really strong, heavy and authentic shield, then you can cover it in rawhide. Nothing’s going through that anytime soon, but where do one get rawhide like that?

As the guy in the video tutorial mentions, you can buy dog chew toys that are made up of strips of rawhide, put it in water over night and it’s soft to work with. Cut that in suitable strips, cover the edges and nail them to place with tacks. Since the edges are sensitive to attacks, it’s a good place to but the extra protection, and it also looks pretty good. One good reason to not have metal rims is that if someone strikes hard enough with a sword to lodge it in the edge of the shield, you can just twist the shield out of his hand. Round shields are cool that way in that your hand is a pivot point in the middle of it, you can do a lot of things with it that strapped shields can’t.

What I did differently to the video tutorial is that I screwed the handle in place. I first covered one side in canvas, then I screwed the handle in place from the untouched side, then I covered that side in canvas. That way, the screw heads are not visable, but still makes for a more sturdy construction. When the glue has dried, just paint in whatever pattern and colours you like! Red and white is classic. I wish I was good enough artist to paint some viking patterns on it too.

I also got a lot of info and inspiration from this site.

• Hey man thanks for all the in-depth info, sounds like you’re a pretty handy guy. That’s the exact shield I want to make, a round shield viking-style. I probably can’t throw it like the DW ones, but hey, I’m not upset. I like Skallagrim I didn’t know he had that video, I’ll definitely have to draw up some plans and get to work on this ASAP. I have a warhammer to go with it, plus various machetes. Hehe. Come on zombies/ISIS/ISISZOMBIES. Cum at me bro.

• Oy, you made a shield yet? :)