My thoughts so far.

• Hello,

Like many of you I got Chivalry yesterday (did not particapate in the beta), and I was blown away. This game is so awesome and fun that I stayed up all night playing it.
    I mostly played the Vanguard and the Man-at-arms classes.

However there is some general issues that I would like to comment on.

Classes:

I find the archer class incredible random. as an archer there is no way to hit precisely with your arrows. Your crosshair is too big, and I find it completely random most of the time if I hit or not.

the man at arms class is another problem all together. he’s a low armor high mobility warrior, but he doesn’t feel so fast, and his dodge mechanics are really horrible. Most of the time when I end up trying to dodge, the delay is too long, it doesn’t execute properly or something else. You need to smoothen this out.

General:

We need a system to punish team killing. it’s gotten to a point were I had to leave several matches because there was 1 or 2 players tk’ing all over the place.

Team balancing:

first of all, the game gets seriously unbalanced when there is no team balance on. 3 red vs 10 blue is not fun, and it’s broken. Especially on team objective maps, where you have to push a cart or something. Even if it gets evened out rather quickly, they still get a huge advantage in the start.
    it needs to get better.

Clunkiness:

I have gotten stuck on a lot of things, sometimes even small objects like a rock or something. If your enemy pushes you into something there’s also a high risk that you’re a free kill because you can’t move.

there are just some of the issues I believe you guys might want to look into.

hope your eyes didnt bleed to death from reading this.

Sweetew

• Oh I forgot one more thing:

Shields… Shields hit boxes might be screwed really bad. everytime I play a class with a shield, someone stands right in front of me, does a normal strike and the strike goes right through my shield. This has happened a gazillion times to me now.

• Archer: Agreed.

Man At Arms Dodge: Agreed. Delay makes it harm you more than help you it seems. It’s too random for me to get into it.

Team Killing: They nerfed damage to team. I don’t mind it, in fact I wish they had set it back to normal. It was more realistic, and also didn’t promote running in a giant spit-wad group of knights who didn’t care if they brushed or sliced each other, as long as they mowed down what was in front of them. Yeah, not cool; I rather the occasional troll-to-be-kicked than imbalance. IMO.

Clunkiness: Agreed, it was my first complaint. Sometimes I lag and teleport. Vanguards charge attack is a bit like the Man At Arms Dodge, in the sense it is too clunky to get into it. More often than not it feels glitchy and I don’t want to use it. The terrain isn’t very smooth either, like you said; I peek over a ledge or go near a rock here and there and I find myself VIBRATING like crazy. But the more I play, the more this isn’t a game-breaker, it would just simply be nice if it was smoothed out.

Shields: Are you sure they are not using a high strike near any of your flanks? I haven’t come across any problems yet, but then I haven’t really used a shield all too much as it impairs the hell out of my screen. Which brings me to suggest fading the shield when in first person, so a person can see.

• @Sweetew:

Hello,

Like many of you I got Chivalry yesterday (did not particapate in the beta), and I was blown away. This game is so awesome and fun that I stayed up all night playing it.
    I mostly played the Vanguard and the Man-at-arms classes.

However there is some general issues that I would like to comment on.

Classes:

I find the archer class incredible random. as an archer there is no way to hit precisely with your arrows. Your crosshair is too big, and I find it completely random most of the time if I hit or not.

the man at arms class is another problem all together. he’s a low armor high mobility warrior, but he doesn’t feel so fast, and his dodge mechanics are really horrible. Most of the time when I end up trying to dodge, the delay is too long, it doesn’t execute properly or something else. You need to smoothen this out.

General:

We need a system to punish team killing. it’s gotten to a point were I had to leave several matches because there was 1 or 2 players tk’ing all over the place.

Team balancing:

first of all, the game gets seriously unbalanced when there is no team balance on. 3 red vs 10 blue is not fun, and it’s broken. Especially on team objective maps, where you have to push a cart or something. Even if it gets evened out rather quickly, they still get a huge advantage in the start.
    it needs to get better.

Clunkiness:

I have gotten stuck on a lot of things, sometimes even small objects like a rock or something. If your enemy pushes you into something there’s also a high risk that you’re a free kill because you can’t move.

there are just some of the issues I believe you guys might want to look into.

hope your eyes didnt bleed to death from reading this.

Sweetew

Punish team killing? Why punish it when its so easy to accidentally do?m i dont see it ever being punishable unless obvious, then the team can vote kick.

• Yeah you will see a LOT of TKs in this game. Sometimes you just cant avoid some, so why punish. If someone is doing it on purpose you can votekick like nyuyu said

• I did notice that when they use a high strike It does connect through sometimes ( that fine and meant to be), however, most of the time when it happens, it’s a normal sideswing which I of course proceed to block, but it still manages to hit me.

I’m fully aware that shields are not meant to be a 360 radius fortress, but I still believe that there might be a problem with hitboxes.

anyways this about as much time I have, gotta get back to killing peasants! :D

• It’s funny - when new players try to play the Man-at-Arms, they tend to think he’s very underpowered. But when their first experience with him is instead playing against a good Man-at-Arms player, they invariably think he’s overpowered. He’s one of those classes that are difficult to pick up but extremely deadly when mastered. I think you’ll find he’s perfectly fine once you’ve got some more practice. I think something new players do too much is overly relying on dodge - you should actually use dodge somewhat sparingly or you’ll just run yourself out of stamina. Try to either move around your enemy and prompt him into making a mistake, or waiting for him to attack and blocking it, then capitalizing on it with a quick dodge forward, or just running up and poking him and then dodging back out, rather than attempting to avoid his attacks with dodge and then go for a counter.

Archers are certainly not random. The size of the crosshair is very misleading - arrows are never nearly that inaccurate. The spread is quite small even when you’re moving, and when you’re standing still and crouching your arrows will always go right where you aim them; again I’d just recommend playing more, and using the projectile camera (middle mouse button by default) to see exactly where your shots are landing, so you can adjust your aim.

Teamkilling can be annoying, yes, but you can open the console (~ for most keyboards, though it’s 'different for some; scroll lock will open it no matter what) and type “votekick” to bring up a list of players with a number; then type “confirm X” where X is the corresponding number. For example, if Bob is on my server teamkilling people, I type votekick and the following appears:

0: Steve
    1: Bill
    2: Bob
    3: Alice
    4: SlyGoat

I would then type confirm 2 to start the votekick against that dirty teamkilling rat Bob.

If you notice any parts of the map where you’re getting stuck, or clipping on small/invisible objects, it would be a big help if you could take a screenshot of the area and post about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2729 so that it can be fixed.

Finally, for shields and blocking in general, you have to aim at the enemy’s weapon, specifically the part of it which will collide with you first. This can mean making a sharp turn if they’re up close, because their attack will be coming at you from the side, especially if they’re also moving around you. It’s really a matter of getting to know weapons’ attack patterns and anticipating where the enemy will be, as well as good reflexes. The best thing to do if you’re having trouble blocking is to try and keep your distance, because it’s much easier to block enemies that aren’t directly on you.

Hope I could be of some assistance.

• Sweetew
    Punish team killing? Why punish it when its so easy to accidentally do?m i dont see it ever being punishable unless obvious, then the team can vote kick.

I had a guy kill me three 3 times today, in 5 mins. I would like to have had an punish option. maybe not on the first team kill, but or the second or the third.

• @SlyGoat:

It’s funny - when new players try to play the Man-at-Arms, they tend to think he’s very underpowered. But when their first experience with him is instead playing against a good Man-at-Arms player, they invariably think he’s overpowered. He’s one of those classes that are difficult to pick up but extremely deadly when mastered. I think you’ll find he’s perfectly fine once you’ve got some more practice. I think something new players do too much is overly relying on dodge - you should actually use dodge somewhat sparingly or you’ll just run yourself out of stamina. Try to either move around your enemy and prompt him into making a mistake, or waiting for him to attack and blocking it, then capitalizing on it with a quick dodge forward, or just running up and poking him and then dodging back out, rather than attempting to avoid his attacks with dodge and then go for a counter.

Archers are certainly not random. The size of the crosshair is very misleading - arrows are never nearly that inaccurate. The spread is quite small even when you’re moving, and when you’re standing still and crouching your arrows will always go right where you aim them; again I’d just recommend playing more, and using the projectile camera (middle mouse button by default) to see exactly where your shots are landing, so you can adjust your aim.

Teamkilling can be annoying, yes, but you can open the console (~ for most keyboards, though it’s 'different for some; scroll lock will open it no matter what) and type “votekick” to bring up a list of players with a number; then type “confirm X” where X is the corresponding number. For example, if Bob is on my server teamkilling people, I type votekick and the following appears:

0: Steve
    1: Bill
    2: Bob
    3: Alice
    4: SlyGoat

I would then type confirm 2 to start the votekick against that dirty teamkilling rat Bob.

If you notice any parts of the map where you’re getting stuck, or clipping on small/invisible objects, it would be a big help if you could take a screenshot of the area and post about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2729 so that it can be fixed.

Finally, for shields and blocking in general, you have to aim at the enemy’s weapon, specifically the part of it which will collide with you first. This can mean making a sharp turn if they’re up close, because their attack will be coming at you from the side, especially if they’re also moving around you. It’s really a matter of getting to know weapons’ attack patterns and anticipating where the enemy will be, as well as good reflexes. The best thing to do if you’re having trouble blocking is to try and keep your distance, because it’s much easier to block enemies that aren’t directly on you.

Hope I could be of some assistance.

thanks for the reply. I will definitely start votekicking team killers from now on ;).

while I have only been playing since yesterday, I did already put in 8 hours (nice to be young), and most of those hours were spent playing the man at arms class. Because he is my favourite when it gets down to it.

The main problem with the shields for me is this: If I have to keep my distance to be able to block properly like you described, but also has to be in his face to kill him because he out ranges me (ex vanguard) that’s kinda contradictionary design? Here you might suggest a forward charge (double tap of W), but again, I find that motion too clunky to rely on.

Sweetew

• @Sweetew:

Sweetew

I had a guy kill me three 3 times today, in 5 mins. I would like to have had an punish option. maybe not on the first team kill, but or the second or the third.
    Vote kick sir :DDDDDD

• oh and please don’t mistake me, I am enjoying myself, ALOT. I think you guys created an amazing game so far, and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for us.

• Vote kick sir :DDDDDD
    True, but a whole team has to agree to that, and so he might not be kicked, simply due to the fact that people haven’t been killed by him yet.

A system in place like this could work:

If you have killed X teammates within a certain Y time frame, you’re opening yourself up for punishment in the future.

• @Sweetew:

The main problem with the shields for me is this: If I have to keep my distance to be able to block properly like you described, but also has to be in his face to kill him because he out ranges me (ex vanguard) that’s kinda contradictionary design? Here you might suggest a forward charge (double tap of W), but again, I find that motion too clunky to rely on.

You can enable “One button dodge” in the keybinds menu and use V + W to dodge instead; I find it much less awkward to execute in the middle of a fight.

And I’m not suggesting you keep out of attack distance, just don’t let him collide with your player model and give him the ability to circle around and swing into your back. Keep him within range, but don’t let him hug you, because that’s where shield users are most vulnerable and an experienced player will attempt to exploit that.