Melee: Battlegrounds

• @lemonater47:

I first saw this on the total war forums. And its popular with total war fans it seems.

Though many of them haven’t actually seen any medieval combat game.

well they all want to be leading all those armies in the RTS mode

wait till you see their disappointment

• that doesnt look good tbh

• very nice, but slasher’s combat takes a huge dump on this tbh

still tis a welcome improvement over M&B, but as a wise man once said, its not hard to improve on bullshit

• I think chivalry has spoiled me with its combat. That video looks awful.

• I have to agree, nothing here looks new or innovative. Comparing Chiv, Slasher, and this; Melee: Battlegrounds doesn’t excite me.

• Looks rigid as fuck, think I’ll pass on this one.

• Well duh, it’s pre-alpha! :P I don’t know how perfect Chivalry combat system looked in pre-alpha.

And what is this Slasher everyone is talking about? I can’t find anything about it on google or youtube.

• @SavageBeatings:

Well duh, it’s pre-alpha! :P I don’t know how perfect Chivalry combat system looked in pre-alpha.

And what is this Slasher everyone is talking about? I can’t find anything about it on google or youtube.

There you go:

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheSlashering/

• Heh. Looks like an pre-alpha of Chivalry. :P

• Yup, every melee combat system is kinda underwhelming after having played chiv. The thing that excites me about Battlegrounds is the base building and sieges.

• @Pilgore:

Yup, every melee combat system is kinda underwhelming after having played chiv. The thing that excites me about Battlegrounds is the base building and sieges.

Yeah. Building your own castles or encampments, sieging those castles, the whole sandbox aspect, small skirmishes and raids, customising your character however you want (which is always nice), huge 100vs100 MP battles (they aim to raise that number though) and everything else beside the improved-upon M&B/WotR combat mechanics. And frankly, I don’t mind those mechanics too much since they fit very well when fighting lots o enemies alongside lots o friendlies. Chivalry is easier to go solo or to duel, for sure, it feels much more fluently. But there’s a limited number of buttons on a mouse and so many more attacks one could perform with any weapon. I also like the authentic medieval look they seem to go for. I don’t like high fantasy, Chivalry is not too over the top in that matter (if you don’t count certain DLC’s) but it would be a much better game to me if Chiv was less anachronistic.

• @SavageBeatings:

Yeah. Building your own castles or encampments, sieging those castles, the whole sandbox aspect, small skirmishes and raids, customising your character however you want (which is always nice), huge 100vs100 MP battles (they aim to raise that number though) and everything else beside the improved-upon M&B/WotR combat mechanics. And frankly, I don’t mind those mechanics too much since they fit very well when fighting lots o enemies alongside lots o friendlies. Chivalry is easier to go solo or to duel, for sure, it feels much more fluently. But there’s a limited number of buttons on a mouse and so many more attacks one could perform with any weapon. I also like the authentic medieval look they seem to go for. I don’t like high fantasy, Chivalry is not too over the top in that matter (if you don’t count certain DLC’s) but it would be a much better game to me if Chiv was less anachronistic.

10characters

• colloquial language is beyond thee

• @SavageBeatings:

The problem is that nothing of this matters when the base combat is bad. Also the fact that they have all this stuff, but not the combat polished, speaks for bad management

• combat is most important tbh

• @zombojoe:

honestly if it can do 200v200 stable battles

Chiv can do this. Just needs a few bots.
    I’m going to be honest, I would prefer any first person slasher with better bots over Chivalry any day.

• @Skindiacus:

Chiv can do this. Just needs a few bots.
    I’m going to be honest, I would prefer any first person slasher with better bots over Chivalry any day.

The bots are laggier than human players performance wise.

• The combat looks just like M&B except they added more directions and wide parry animation.

Why are they even whacking each other with swords while they both wear mail and/or lamellar? Wasn’t this supposed to be realistic™ physics based™ combat? Unless they have like dark ages prototype swords that have more weight in the blades or something as silly.

In any case, I won’t be touching this because I hate M&B combat.

Oh, and it’s 3rd person too.

• Pre. Alpha. Game. Play. They are aiming for 2016, not this Christmas.

They say they will add lots of more like things kicks, bashes, maybe grappling, etc. I’m sure damage and such will be tweaked so that you need to stab at mail and slashes will only do some blunt damage.

I do prefer Chivalry’s way of doing combat. But everything else about this game beside the combat is interesting enough so I am still looking forward to it and hoping they will make the combat mechanics tolerable. I don’t care for duels and all that. No game is ever gonna have realistic combat mechanics, at least not with mouse+keyboard and even less with controller.

I mean, don’t expect any game soon to have realistic medieval duels like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOO2ch5uNBc

Even Kingdom Come that states they will have combat based on real techniques won’t be truly realistic, as in the gameplay videos I’ve seen (though it is also pre alpha) they often disengage in the bind, or hit the person and back off. Realistically, if you’re in a bind, you preferably don’t leave it, and when you get through his guard, you finish him off, not back off.