2 Easy steps to fix all Archer Problems

• Hi there,

STEP 1: Change the Crosshair for ranged classes from The horrible Hexagon thing to the DOT crosshair used during Melee combat.

That will give it so much more precision and accuracy. Think about all the neck shots, eye shots, knee shots… (and the royal jewel shots) one could do. Which will bring so much more skill and less frustration to the gamers that love their Archery and only bought Chivalry for the sake of the Godly Archery that they had been gifted to them by the Gods of The Age of Chivalry! At least it can come as close to it as possible in these given conditions.

Right now the Hexagon Crosshair is more like the guy who stands up in the middle of movie theatre when you are watching a pirated cam.rip movie. It’s just annoying and in the way, one’s view is obstructed and tunneled, causing more unnecessary Team damage. If not change the Crosshair then atleast have an option of having to choose one’s one Crosshair - between the dot or the hexagon the choice is yours.

Yes you say you can press “U” and it’s just like the Old Chivalry - Sir I am afraid it is NO where near like the old Chivalry, I am shooting at people’s feet to try and get a head shot. It does not work (yes it works mostly in Fluke situations).

STEP 2: Faster Weapon Switch and being able to use KICK while the BOW/Crossbow is OUT.**

This is another very annoying thing about the Archer Class and seems very unfair and leaves the archer defenseless. Getting caught with their pants down is bad enough, not being able to fight back is even worse. Might as well play as Peasant.

I’m trying to keep this brief but there is just so much pain that it all had to come out at once! My apologies. :?

PS: This is not a Glenn Beck moment, I just really love this game! 8-) :P 8-)

Thank You

GATMAN

• Both of these have come up before and I have trouble disagreeing with them. The projectile crossbow is both very large and doesn’t represent the weapon’s actual accuracy; the dot would be very sufficient. Weapon switch times should vary more per weapon; the shortbow for example should be able to swap away much quicker than the warbow IMO. Currently only the weapon you’re swapping to influences swap speed - daggers are faster to switch to, I think it should depend on both the weapons being swapped to create another interesting dynamic of which weapons to pair together.

• for now I’ll just be happy with the DOT thanks :)

• Agreed. Also the jav redesign is horrible and is also horrible, but mostly just horrible.

It’s a medium range class, making him as vulnerable as an archer is…what’s the word? Ah right, HORRIBLE

Just nerf the throw damage by 1/3 and be done with it. Beats turning the most versatile class in the game into an invalid.

• I would be happy if projectile velocity was increased for the Bows & Crossbows. Javelins are fine with it though. But what is the point of this current aiming reticule we have now? Can any developers shine light on why this decision was mde?

• A major flaw in the javelin is how slow the reload speed is. It doesn’t have to be much faster but right now it’s horribly slow especially since you have to reload and then get into the throwing position, which honestly is slow in itself. Also something that needs to be addressed is that you cannot block while reloading the javelin, which just cries, “kill me please!” I wouldn’t care if it restarted the reload animation if you block, just let me block.

• @faltion:

you cannot block while reloading the javelin, which just cries, “kill me please!” I wouldn’t care if it restarted the reload animation if you block, just let me block.

And that Is why I never use javelins. I agree fully on this, it would make them more of an every day weapon instead of just a novelty item that is hard getting to work.

• How far would you say you could stand from your opponent with the javeline and land successful hits?

How long does it take to reload?

• @HEXEN:

How far would you say you could stand from your opponent with the javeline and land successful hits?

How long does it take to reload?

How can I measure? Guessing? I’d guess 10 meters efficiently.

Around 2-3 seconds

• I like javelins how they are, including reload speed/reticle.
    As a person who plays an archer with a javelin, I believe the only imbalance or uncomfort for me is the fact that vanguards can one shot us without a headshot or charge. Being one shot by decapitation or a charge (or god forbid, a charging decapitation) is hilarious, and awesome. But being one shot from full health 'cause he happened to hit me a bit hard, sucks.

• @faltion:

you cannot block while reloading the javelin, which just cries, “kill me please!” I wouldn’t care if it restarted the reload animation if you block, just let me block.

Switch weapons after a javelin throw, unless not in danger. Not knowing this makes you a bad javelineer, not the class bad.

• @DeminRamst:

@faltion:

Switch weapons after a javelin throw, unless not in danger. Not knowing this makes you a bad javelineer, not the class bad.

The entire point of the javelin being both melee and ranged is to not have to switch weapons.

• I kind of think all projectiles are deadly enough already. They’re flying everywhere and take you out when you least expect it, or just when you’re in the middle of a great duel. Heck, on the castlemap this morning my team was bottle necked at the door because the enemy had half a dozen archers/crossbowmen just winging in arrows. Anyone who stepped into the door became a pin cushion. You increase the accuracy and they’ll become campwhores like the snipers in war of the roses.

• Agreed with the first comment, and that javelins suck right now.

• @SlyGoat:

@DeminRamst:

@faltion:

The entire point of the javelin being both melee and ranged is to not have to switch weapons.

In 300, when they threw their spears, they didn’t have 7 more tied to their back. They threw it, and whipped out their sword. How long do you think it takes to pull one off your back? But, I’ll concede the point that throwing a javelin, switching weapons, then switching back to the javelin is faster than staying on javelin at the moment, or it feels like it, and that’s weird.

• A phallanx spear is differnt than a javelin. 300 was historical rape in that regard. The real Spartans at Thermopylae also employed squads of helots, both to service them as aid and as skirmishers, in the latter case carrying with them a whole clutch of javelins, significantly lighter and smaller than a thrusting spear used with a hoplon.

A note about the devs reading about issues with overpowered/underpowered weapons/classes, a lesson to be learned from the mud wrestling pit that is the WotR forums is that, imho, any rebalancing of any and all weapons should wait completely until other game bugs are polished out and there’s been a thorough and long analysis of game results. This may annoy many -and I’ve no wish to do this- but knee-jerk reactions to balance complaints and then attempting fixes to appease may result in the rubbish bin that WotR has become.
    Altering a weapon potency now could lead to a plethora of issues with other balancing.
    Not trying to offend anyone here, just wanting Chivalry to avoid what WotR has become.

• @ChivFan:

A note about the devs reading about issues with overpowered/underpowered weapons/classes, a lesson to be learned from the mud wrestling pit that is the WotR forums is that, imho, any rebalancing of any and all weapons should wait completely until other game bugs are polished out and there’s been a thorough and long analysis of game results. This may annoy many -and I’ve no wish to do this- but knee-jerk reactions to balance complaints and then attempting fixes to appease may result in the rubbish bin that WotR has become.
    Altering a weapon potency now could lead to a plethora of issues with other balancing.
    Not trying to offend anyone here, just wanting Chivalry to avoid what WotR has become.

And BF3, and the CoD franchise and a plethora of other games. This is a huge development pitfall that never seems to be avoided.

In my opinion, weapons should never be touched. I know that’s like asking water not to be wet, but once something is nerfed or “balanced”, everything else is free game and will come under fire.

• @HEXEN:

In my opinion, weapons should never be touched. I know that’s like asking water not to be wet, but once something is nerfed or “balanced”, everything else is free game and will come under fire.

I disagree entirely. I think the game is far closer to balanced than it was at the start of beta, when half the weapons were virtually worthless and a few of them were blatantly broken.

• @SlyGoat:

I disagree entirely. I think the game is far closer to balanced than it was at the start of beta, when half the weapons were virtually worthless and a few of them were blatantly broken.

Well yeah, that’s what beta is for. But once the game releases, you shouldn’t have to be making changes left and right, or neutering weapons because n00b whine gets too loud. You don’t see authors recalling their novels after they release. They write the book, the editing period is where all the fine adjustment is done (beta) and the book releases.

Granted, books aren’t videogames and more than a few games have launched that were in dire need of some post release weapon balance, but I don’t feel Chivalry is one of them. I don’t think you do either. The game feels balanced, regardless of how everything lines up on paper. Usually it’s the developer pointing to the hard data, as if to say “See, everything is balanced”, when what’s really important is how everything functions and behaves during gameplay.

Perhaps a few tweaks are needed here and there for specific weapons, but I’d cringe at seeing a patch list of blanket changes where almost everything was messed with. When there’s too many variables, you’re back to square one at the end of the day.

• SlyGoat, repsectfully I think he’s referring to something different. Not referring to weapons balancing during development and beta testing, but after being balanced and in the official release. In which case I agree with HEXEN. Once again I site WotR. It’s a horrible spam fest now and nothing is balanced, compared to initial release when things were actually balanced, but people either didn’t know how to cope and counter, or lacked any experience and categorized getting their asses kicked as spam. Personally I don’t want the plague that is affecting WotR to make its way into Chivalry, and game balance made worse rather than better by attempting to nerf/buff weapons at the moment. I think now Torn Banner should be working on connectivity, CTD’s, gui bugs, etcs until everyone’s had a chance to play extensively, and out of their comfort zone.