2 Easy steps to fix all Archer Problems

• @faltion:

you cannot block while reloading the javelin, which just cries, “kill me please!” I wouldn’t care if it restarted the reload animation if you block, just let me block.

Switch weapons after a javelin throw, unless not in danger. Not knowing this makes you a bad javelineer, not the class bad.

• @DeminRamst:

@faltion:

you cannot block while reloading the javelin, which just cries, “kill me please!” I wouldn’t care if it restarted the reload animation if you block, just let me block.

Switch weapons after a javelin throw, unless not in danger. Not knowing this makes you a bad javelineer, not the class bad.

The entire point of the javelin being both melee and ranged is to not have to switch weapons.

• I kind of think all projectiles are deadly enough already. They’re flying everywhere and take you out when you least expect it, or just when you’re in the middle of a great duel. Heck, on the castlemap this morning my team was bottle necked at the door because the enemy had half a dozen archers/crossbowmen just winging in arrows. Anyone who stepped into the door became a pin cushion. You increase the accuracy and they’ll become campwhores like the snipers in war of the roses.

• Agreed with the first comment, and that javelins suck right now.

• @SlyGoat:

@DeminRamst:

@faltion:

The entire point of the javelin being both melee and ranged is to not have to switch weapons.

In 300, when they threw their spears, they didn’t have 7 more tied to their back. They threw it, and whipped out their sword. How long do you think it takes to pull one off your back? But, I’ll concede the point that throwing a javelin, switching weapons, then switching back to the javelin is faster than staying on javelin at the moment, or it feels like it, and that’s weird.

• A phallanx spear is differnt than a javelin. 300 was historical rape in that regard. The real Spartans at Thermopylae also employed squads of helots, both to service them as aid and as skirmishers, in the latter case carrying with them a whole clutch of javelins, significantly lighter and smaller than a thrusting spear used with a hoplon.

A note about the devs reading about issues with overpowered/underpowered weapons/classes, a lesson to be learned from the mud wrestling pit that is the WotR forums is that, imho, any rebalancing of any and all weapons should wait completely until other game bugs are polished out and there’s been a thorough and long analysis of game results. This may annoy many -and I’ve no wish to do this- but knee-jerk reactions to balance complaints and then attempting fixes to appease may result in the rubbish bin that WotR has become.
    Altering a weapon potency now could lead to a plethora of issues with other balancing.
    Not trying to offend anyone here, just wanting Chivalry to avoid what WotR has become.

• @ChivFan:

A note about the devs reading about issues with overpowered/underpowered weapons/classes, a lesson to be learned from the mud wrestling pit that is the WotR forums is that, imho, any rebalancing of any and all weapons should wait completely until other game bugs are polished out and there’s been a thorough and long analysis of game results. This may annoy many -and I’ve no wish to do this- but knee-jerk reactions to balance complaints and then attempting fixes to appease may result in the rubbish bin that WotR has become.
    Altering a weapon potency now could lead to a plethora of issues with other balancing.
    Not trying to offend anyone here, just wanting Chivalry to avoid what WotR has become.

And BF3, and the CoD franchise and a plethora of other games. This is a huge development pitfall that never seems to be avoided.

In my opinion, weapons should never be touched. I know that’s like asking water not to be wet, but once something is nerfed or “balanced”, everything else is free game and will come under fire.

• @HEXEN:

In my opinion, weapons should never be touched. I know that’s like asking water not to be wet, but once something is nerfed or “balanced”, everything else is free game and will come under fire.

I disagree entirely. I think the game is far closer to balanced than it was at the start of beta, when half the weapons were virtually worthless and a few of them were blatantly broken.

• @SlyGoat:

I disagree entirely. I think the game is far closer to balanced than it was at the start of beta, when half the weapons were virtually worthless and a few of them were blatantly broken.

Well yeah, that’s what beta is for. But once the game releases, you shouldn’t have to be making changes left and right, or neutering weapons because n00b whine gets too loud. You don’t see authors recalling their novels after they release. They write the book, the editing period is where all the fine adjustment is done (beta) and the book releases.

Granted, books aren’t videogames and more than a few games have launched that were in dire need of some post release weapon balance, but I don’t feel Chivalry is one of them. I don’t think you do either. The game feels balanced, regardless of how everything lines up on paper. Usually it’s the developer pointing to the hard data, as if to say “See, everything is balanced”, when what’s really important is how everything functions and behaves during gameplay.

Perhaps a few tweaks are needed here and there for specific weapons, but I’d cringe at seeing a patch list of blanket changes where almost everything was messed with. When there’s too many variables, you’re back to square one at the end of the day.

• SlyGoat, repsectfully I think he’s referring to something different. Not referring to weapons balancing during development and beta testing, but after being balanced and in the official release. In which case I agree with HEXEN. Once again I site WotR. It’s a horrible spam fest now and nothing is balanced, compared to initial release when things were actually balanced, but people either didn’t know how to cope and counter, or lacked any experience and categorized getting their asses kicked as spam. Personally I don’t want the plague that is affecting WotR to make its way into Chivalry, and game balance made worse rather than better by attempting to nerf/buff weapons at the moment. I think now Torn Banner should be working on connectivity, CTD’s, gui bugs, etcs until everyone’s had a chance to play extensively, and out of their comfort zone.

• I don’t agree with the game is balanced now, and I definitely don’t agree that changes shouldn’t be made when obvious balance issues are discovered. Once clans start scrimming and leagues start popping up, we’ll know exactly where the game balance stands, and adjustments should definitely be made if the game is focused around only a handful of weapons as I suspect it will be.

• @SlyGoat:

I don’t agree with the game is balanced now, and I definitely don’t agree that changes shouldn’t be made when obvious balance issues are discovered. Once clans start scrimming and leagues start popping up, we’ll know exactly where the game balance stands, and adjustments should definitely be made if the game is focused around only a handful of weapons as I suspect it will be.

This happens to all games, just look at Tf2. Pretty well balanced game, but when you play competitive its Roamer soldier, Med, Pocket Soldier, Demo, 2 scouts. You can choose other classes, but to be competitive this is the standard team.(yes I know in certain circumstances other classes makes cameos). But my point is, scrims and competitive play is not how to balance a game. Just look at Tribes:Ascend for a better example.

• Disagreed. If a game isn’t balanced in a competitive environment, it just isn’t balanced period. Also your TF2 info is very outdated, because even TF2 balanced for competitive, to the point where Heavies were restricted to 1 per team like medics/demomen.

• I don’t see why you shouldn’t keep on working with balancing the game? It’s not some abstract concept or ritual. Its about looking at competitive game and try to spot very weak or overpowered and exploitive gameplay aspects.

Look at a game like CS. It’s not like they just stopped changing weapon damage etc. after 1.0. I guess it’s quite normal for games to have several weak spots / not working concepts when they are released, especially when it comes to multiplayer.

On topic though, I’m pretty sure that some tweaks will be made to the ranged classes, also since this thread is not the first stating this particular “problem”.

• @DeminRamst:

@faltion:

While I am a bad javelineer, I do know to do this and do it often, but I think it’s sort of exploiting the system. You can switch to a secondary and then back to the javelin and throw it faster than if you waited for it to reload.

• @StiffWood:

I don’t see why you shouldn’t keep on working with balancing the game? It’s not some abstract concept or ritual. Its about looking at competitive game and try to spot very weak or overpowered and exploitive gameplay aspects.

Look at a game like CS. It’s not like they just stopped changing weapon damage etc. after 1.0. I guess it’s quite normal for games to have several weak spots / not working concepts when they are released, especially when it comes to multiplayer.

Actuall balance is fine, but games these days don’t seem to tweak a weapon here and there… they change EVERYTHING. n00b whine is often misinterpreted as viable feedback and the developer makes adjustments to the game based on the lowest common denominator.

I’m not saying REAL balancing problems shouldn’t be fixed if they are encountered. But trying to distinguish which problems are real and just bandwagon OP mentality seems to throw a lot of developers for a loop.

Plus, I just don’t want to play a game that’s constantly flip flopping all its weapon stats around. It’s like playing a chess game where the pieces randomly get new moves and different restrictions.

• Increase the velocity speed? The arrow feel slow to me. :(

I did go to archery in reality through

• @EricFong:

Increase the velocity speed?

It’s not a gun. I think it’s a semi accurate speed to a real bow (really depending on the bow though).

• @Jake:

@EricFong:

Increase the velocity speed?

It’s not a gun. I think it’s a semi accurate speed to a real bow (really depending on the bow though).

Honestly, its not semi accurate, have you ever shot a bow? Especially long distances, yes different poundage does make a difference, but still this feels very slow, especially since its as precise as it is people move really fast, so by the time i shoot even ahead of the player, they are gone… In real life they would have a dam arrow in their face.

• If they made them faster, it would have to cause less damage because otherwise it would upset the balance of the game. They made them slow so you can predict what your opponents doing, and shoot based on that. This game is all about skill