Parry reset

• So for a while there has been an idea that people should get recovery parry after a successful hit. I more or less agree, but what about in the opposite scenario.

Player A and Player B.

A swings at B. A hits B a fraction of a second before B parries.
    B is now stuck in parry mode for the entirety of A’s combo.

If A had a slow weapon or did an instant hit, B would have time to parry the combo.
    Otherwise A gets another free hit.

If we allow Recovery parry, why not allow parry reset after getting hit?

Sure if you are parrying at a guy in front of you and then get hit from behind it would give you the ability to re-parry against the guy infront
    But I think that is pretty minor.

It also works in the scenario where some spamhole does a reverse overhead on you, and you parry at it perfectly, but seeing as it was a ROH, it magically warps through your parry and hits you.

Now you are stuck in parry for like .5 seconds (whatever the parry window is) while the other guy does some more weird shit, and you try to parry his combo which locks you for another .5 seconds.

If you could parry again immediately it would make this more like .7 seconds, hopefully negating his blind combo feint (giving you time for a third parry) or parrying his Instant-> instant more easily.

Anyway, its just another way to add better defense to this game, which I think is sorely lacking. Seems like powering mindless hit trade after hit trade is the game, and little things like this can help change that.

• sounds gud

• parrying strikes is already way too easy, and you can even do it with your butt i hear. while this is a good idea in its own, it would make parrying even easier which right now, it does not need to be imo.

• If you parry too late you did the wrong move.

• @Xylvion:

If you parry too late you did the wrong move.

parrying 1 dude is 2 ez but fighting multiple people atm is pretty hard. with this implemented im mainly envisioning it when you mistime 1 parry in a 1vn like this and then youre dead

• It wouldn’t really make parrying easier just more versatile. Also part of the reason I want this is because of inconsistent parries where people seemingly swing right through it. I agree ass parries are lame but that is a separate discussion.

In the case where two people were hammering on you it would require snap reaction times so it would increase defensive skill.

Meaning, in a 1v2, if you miss a single parry you are essentially doomed to get hit by both enemies. But this change would allow you to block one if you were very fast.

You are still being punished for a missed parry, by getting hit,
    but you are not being completely obliterated for missing a single parry, like it is right now.

One missed parry in this game has a huge price, while one missed swing has a very low price.
    I think that is part of the reason spammy hit trade tactics are so prevalent. Parrying is a huge commitment with a lot of downsides, while attacking is non committal and has no downsides, except for getting traded.

In the case where you miss a parry and get hit, this would make parries slightly less committal and versatile.

• This would certainly work better if butt parries did not exist (shields too). Otherwise, it’s just really easy to hit RMB out of desperation and parry an attack you couldn’t have seen coming.

Also, animations might look really weird, as in you might not even interpret your opponent block an attack.
    With CFTP there are times where you don’t see the full combo feint sequence on your opponents model. Imagine what parrying more quickly would look like.

Which leads to the next issue. Unflinchable ripostes. Because basically, a faster parry reset would mean faster ripostes.

In a 1v2 scenario version of OP’s case, there would be a Player C, which would attack B in quick succession after A’s attack.
    A hit, so unless he cftps he’d be in attack recovery.
    If C attacks, B might be able to parry. Problem is, what if C gives an easy parry? B would get a chance to riposte against both C and A (who’s still in recovery).

So, it works good in a 1v1 scenario to prevent some of the worse free hits when the other guy starts spinning around and dragging, but would also make things unfair in 1vMany for the attacker’s side. What if these “reset parries” had ripostes disabled? That is in case TBS never fixes unflinchable ripostes.

• I really don’t think butt parries changes much, seeing as you are not gonna see it coming and not press to block any way. but nevermind that.

I agree that animations would look weird, but as you mention, we already have moves with no animation like CFTP and FTP, so if its okay to have offensive maneuvers with no animation I think its fine to have defensive options as well.

However, I see now that the riposte off player C could be a problem. I still do not think that it would change much though. It would be a very complicated and reactive maneuver to pull off a re-parry -> riposte -> aim at the other player.
    Plus the other guy can always counter with a similarly complicated move, by doing a CFTP.

So despite the possible annoyance of bad animations, and a possible unblockable riposte, I still think it is really important for two reasons.
    1: It helps in 1v1 against crazy reverse spam.
    2: It helps in 1v2 because if you miss a parry and get hit you can block the second strike, as opposed to getting hit by both for missing 1 parry.

• I think we’ve all parried attacks for which we’re not looking at the tip of the opponent’s weapon. I know I’ve PiPed (parry into parry) more due to timing rather than aim. There’s also that crouch+lookup+spin around magic parry field which some people exploit more than others. It just happens, and many veterans have already complained about how easy it is to parry and how it depends more on rythm rather than aim. The worse side effect of the current parry mechanic are butt parries, but that’s just like really extreme, you can pull more subtle ones too.
    Imho, they are surprisingly easy to pull off. I’m not talking about a 9/10 success ratio, but 3-4 out of 10 is a fucking lot.

So that’s the major problem, because when you combine easy timing-based parrying with unflinchable ripostes, you’d be penalising whoever attacks first because he could be in release/recovery for too long.

With some weapons you don’t even need to aim too much after a riposte to connect. Why do you think the maul trade meta is so popular? Because you can pretty much riposte LMB alt-OH, spin around and you are bond to hit something.

If the main focus of the mechanic is to allow someone to speed up his parrying, then it should be done in a way that it doesn’t alter the initiative in 1vMany.

What’s the name of that specific mechanic? Parry negation, or is it plain old flinch? (English is not my first language so I’m always struggling for the right words). Instead of an automatic parry reset after successful hit, why not reduce parry negations?
    With a little evasive footwork you wouldn’t need some magic parry reset.

• The mechanic is the parry window. There is a period of active parry and a period of parry recovery.

I still do not see why having this mechanic would change initiative in 1vX, it just means that you have a chance to recover when you miss one parry. I do not see a reason why missing a single parry should result in getting hit multiple times.

A single missed parry should mean you get hit by a single strike.

That is my take on it anyway.

I do like your compromise of making it so a re-parry can not riposte. That would be a good way to keep it from being too powerful.

Besides, if two people attack the guy who missed his parry at the exact same time, the window where he could re-parry would be too small to capitalize on.
    They would still get both hits for timing their strikes together.

• @FartTender:

[Parrying late gets you hit]

It’s already the case where if you have a parry up and get hit, you get reset to idle so as not to be totally helpless. If you parried too late, learn to not do that because it’s the worst case scenario for you, as you’ve described. I see no problem with being punished for something that’s your mistake. Why are you parrying so late? If you’re purely trying to feint read and waiting that long, just kick the guy instead.

• Im not sure what you are trying to say Daiyuki.

Getting hit while parrying definitely does not reset you to idle, I have tried before. Maybe there is some confusion here?

And I am not talking about parrying too late. I am talking about parrying on time and the attack still hits you, whether it be some weird unblockable drag, or a glitch, or latency, or whatever else. You should be allowed to re-parry.

You have already taken the punishment for missing 1 parry, so why should you be locked in for an entire second while the other guy is free to do what he likes? All the defender can do is hopelessly spam rmb until his second parry comes up, usually too late to make a difference.

• @FartTender:

Im not sure what you are trying to say Daiyuki.

Getting hit while parrying definitely does not reset you to idle, I have tried before. Maybe there is some confusion here?

And I am not talking about parrying too late. I am talking about parrying on time and the attack still hits you, whether it be some weird unblockable drag, or a glitch, or latency, or whatever else. You should be allowed to re-parry.

You have already taken the punishment for missing 1 parry, so why should you be locked in for an entire second while the other guy is free to do what he likes? All the defender can do is hopelessly spam rmb until his second parry comes up, usually too late to make a difference.

But that’s not the case, and the easy example is this: One enemy in front of you, one enemy behind you. You put your parry up to block the strike from the front, get hit from the back before it lands, your parry drops because you get flinched out of it, you take the hit from the font.

What you initially described, which was “Get hit, throw parry up too late, get hit again by the combo strike” DOES happen because you started the parry after you got hit, but that’s easily solved by not parrying so late.

So really, I don’t know what YOU’RE saying. Don’t mess up your parry that bad, don’t get punished.