Mercs

• Polehammer - Overhead base damage to 115, Stab base damage to 65

Guys, guys, guys, listen. listen guys. I got a great idea. What if we… what if we make the only anti-knight weapon a vanguard has… listen guys… what if we make the only antiknight weapon a vanguard has and make it into the best anti-vanguard weapon instead.

Come on guys. Why the fuck is the pole hammer now able to 1 shot vanguards but not knights? Come on.

• amish pls spear is the best anti vanguard weapon

• @zombojoe:

amish pls spear is the best anti vanguard weapon

But spear can’t 1shot vanguards now.

• @Kreittis:

But spear can’t 1shot vanguards now.

exactly. Why use a spear when you can do high damage to every class with 1 weapon that has moderate reach?

• cuz polehammer is slow, readable, short and sidesteppable

its not just about the damage

• Spear is more readable than polehammer

• @Monsteri:

Spear is more readable than polehammer

Fight me 1v5 and I’ll rek you with polehammer.

• Nah 1v1/2 will do.
    I’ll only use my right hand and win.

• @AmishInsurgent:

Guys, guys, guys, listen. listen guys. I got a great idea. What if we… what if we make the only anti-knight weapon a vanguard has… listen guys… what if we make the only antiknight weapon a vanguard has and make it into the best anti-vanguard weapon instead.

Come on guys. Why the fuck is the pole hammer now able to 1 shot vanguards but not knights? Come on.

Polehammer has never been a top tier weapon and never been part of the meta in this game. It has always had potential but never stood up to the likes of the halberd, zwei, brandi, or even the spear.

Those weapons I mentioned all have much more versatility, with generally better speed and certainly better reach, which is after all the main strength of vanguard.

The polehammer is, as Zombo said, slow and short. Every single other vanguard weapon has an advantage against it in 1v1, particularly things like the spear, billhook and halberd. Zwei has better reach on the stab, brandi’s stab attack is faster than the polehammer stab and two shots vanguards. The claymore and greatsword are faster and have better reach as well. You get the picture.

The polehammer in live is completely centered around the idea of killing knights. In my opinion a weapon that is specialized against 1/4 classes can never be a good competitive choice, even though knights sometimes comprise half of the enemy team. The halberd for example would be my #1 tryhard choice in Mercs. In live I would choose the Zwei or brandi. The polehammer is certainly viable, but it has massive shortcomings that are not worth it. The halberd is such a better zoning tool and is monumentally better at engaging other vanguards, being able to hold its own vs a spear. The halberd is also much better vs MAA and in my opinion better against knights in a lot of situations, although the raw damage of the polehammer does outshine it at times. The brandi is a much better support weapon and is better against all 3 classes besides knight, and is still amazing against knights as well.

Giving the polehammer this damage buff solidifies its place in the game and gives it an unquestionable edge against knights, whereas before things could be debated. It also gives it a small amount of potential vs vanguard, where there was none before. The tracers on polearms are much harder to aim than swords, so getting headshots is not easy mode like it is with zweihander for example. In addition, once people adapt to this change avoiding being headshot is extremely easy, as I have said in previous posts about the grand mace.

These changes bring polehammer up a lot closer to the level of the top vanguard weapons, although I strongly feel that halberd, zwei and brandi are definitely still better. The polehammer now has a huge advantage against knights and some limited potential against vanguard, whereas before it was simply a niche weapon without massive benefits. Other more versatile weapons could fulfill its role almost as well, and that is no longer the case.

• I agree that in live the pole hammer needs a buff which is the argument you’re making. The problem is how you buffed it. The pole hammer is a short and slow weapon with bad tracer alignment. Modifying the speeds would help the weapon greatly. Instead you opted for the damage root which only makes a drastic effect on vanguards. Any knight + pole hammer weapon combo will 2 shot a knight in live just like before so why does this damage buff really make it more antiknight? Please explain that to me.

I don’t understand why the pole hammer needs to 1 shot vanguards. I’ve always felt weapons should counter classes in this game. Why should the only blunt weapon a vanguard has (which would be for anti knight) also be the only vanguard weapon that can one shot vanguards? If you want one shots so strongly how about making it one shot knights only? That will make the weapon extremely viable.

• i dont see how vanguards getting 1 shotted by polehammer headshot OHs is an issue

its a rare occurrence at best

• @zombojoe:

i dont see how vanguards getting 1 shotted by polehammer headshot OHs is an issue

Yeah the competetive palyers seem to have a hard time hitting the head, hence they want to longsword buffed.

• @zombojoe:

cuz polehammer is slow, readable, short and sidesteppable

its not just about the damage

When you say its readable, are you taking b0ckswings and fake-outs into consideration?

• @zombojoe:

i dont see how vanguards getting 1 shotted by polehammer headshot OHs is an issue

Once again 21.7% of body hits in Chivalry are to the head while factoring in every server. A rare occurrence on pro players maybe, but mercs mod isn’t meant to be only for the pros remember?

• headshots in pubs are awesome tho, that feel when you bulldoze thru 4 players because you got 2 maul headshots in a row

• new skins dont seem to work in latest version of mercs. the old ones still do though. idk if this is on tb or not though.

• CRUSHED FIX UR SHIT

u have to add the new skins in the code

• Question.
    Why are all the weapons being slowed down? In my humble opinion it seems that all the weapons are starting to blend together. Fast ones really aren’t all that fast and the slow ones really aren’t all that slow.

Please correct me if I’m wrong and maybe provide a bit of insight, thanks.

• thats true with 1 handers

except with dane axe that handles like a messer

• @Tritanx:

Question.
    Why are all the weapons being slowed down? In my humble opinion it seems that all the weapons are starting to blend together. Fast ones really aren’t all that fast and the slow ones really aren’t all that slow.

Please correct me if I’m wrong and maybe provide a bit of insight, thanks.

Mercs started out by changing a fundamental mechanic by adding first hit flinch, now when changing something that’s core like that it’s bound to screw with weapon & class balance. This is why we have the balance council to discuss changes that need to be made to balance the game around first hit flinch, and among those changes is slowing weapons down so you can’t simply flinch slow weapons on reaction. There are more ways to balance weapons than changing the windup, which is why we’re using damage values, turncap, release, and combo times to differentiate certain weapons.