This game is impossible to get into

• A lot of times when I see all these lowranks struggling with parrying basic drags, I start to wonder how I got past the phase where all I did was die. I remember thinking at the time that a positive K/D wasn’t even possible in this game. Every match was 5 kills and possibly more than two dozen deaths. That’s not fun. Why did I keep playing?

I agree the game is very hard to jump into right now with everyone at least somewhat decent in the game. The only piece of advice I can offer is to educate yourself in the variety of different techniques. A lot of lowranks make the terrible mistake of thinking this game is some kind of realistic medieval combat simulator, and I won’t blame them for it, as the trailer on Steam shies away from showing the game’s true nature, which is to spin2win.

I can only imagine what it’s like for a new player to jump into a match, thinking “hey, this is a cool swordfighting game” only to get hit in the face by a 360 noscope maul. And please, do yourself a favor and play on at least 120 fov. Don’t settle for whatever TBS thinks is the “default fov”, it’s not good enough. You can’t even see some stab drags with the default fov. Personally I play on 140, and while the range has been difficult to get used to, it’s all worth it in the end.

• In addition to what Jon said, if you don’t mind ruining your duel W/L ratio a bit, when playing on duel servers look around for skilled players who are also social.

If you’re lucky enough they’ll be glad to do rematches with you and give you certain tips, and you can get a booster on how to parry and perform basic drags. Once you got that down try to learn different strategies against feints if you’re into that sort of thing.

When fighting against skilled players don’t feint them to win, you’re beating the purpose of learning the combat itself. If you learn how to improve your offense, you also improve your defence by becoming able to read drags similar to yours. So if you depend on feinting too early, it’ll be hard to improve your actual combat skills.

Once you got everything down to basics and also some intermediate moves feel free to move on.

• @Jon:

A lot of times when I see all these lowranks struggling with parrying basic drags, I start to wonder how I got past the phase where all I did was die. I remember thinking at the time that a positive K/D wasn’t even possible in this game. Every match was 5 kills and possibly more than two dozen deaths. That’s not fun. Why did I keep playing?

I agree the game is very hard to jump into right now with everyone at least somewhat decent in the game. The only piece of advice I can offer is to educate yourself in the variety of different techniques. A lot of lowranks make the terrible mistake of thinking this game is some kind of realistic medieval combat simulator, and I won’t blame them for it, as the trailer on Steam shies away from showing the game’s true nature, which is to spin2win.

I can only imagine what it’s like for a new player to jump into a match, thinking “hey, this is a cool swordfighting game” only to get hit in the face by a 360 noscope maul. And please, do yourself a favor and play on at least 120 fov. Don’t settle for whatever TBS thinks is the “default fov”, it’s not good enough. You can’t even see some stab drags with the default fov. Personally I play on 140, and while the range has been difficult to get used to, it’s all worth it in the end.

I bought a medieval combat simulator, not an anime-style slasher or disabled-paralytic-alzheimer disease simulator (dunno what is worse). I can justify drags, I can understand a time-to time usage of those overheads, but I will never understand 360 degree spins, constant sniffing ground or crouch-overheads (not sure how to call it properly).
    120-140 FoV is aslo called “fisheyes” and twists the picture dramatically, 3-rd person view seems to be a little… ahistorical (?) and unrealistic.

• Medieval combat simulator? I thought this game was a first person slasher based on medieval warfare, not a simulator.

• @Xylvion:

Medieval combat simulator? I thought this game was a first person slasher based on medieval warfare, not a simulator.

Didn’t you know english knights launched crusades against a guy that lives in mount doom and hired barefoot Viking soldiers to work for him

• @swagfox:

Didn’t you know english knights launched crusades against a guy that lives in mount doom and hired barefoot Viking soldiers to work for him

I probably skipped too many history lessons.

• @Zak:

I bought a medieval combat simulator

IMO you bought Quake but was expecting A.R.M.A.

This game is all but a medieval combat simulator. Just look at real fights mang, you really think this is anything close to a medieval combat simulator? Imo its a FPS with swords, done in a way that it has some immersion due gud graphics and art style, not because the combat system tries to be realistic.

The spins are all game mechanics, like bhop on quake

• I’m betting Senior Preston has spent more time on the forums that he actually has in the game.

• @Jon:

And please, do yourself a favor and play on at least 120 fov. Don’t settle for whatever TBS thinks is the “default fov”, it’s not good enough. You can’t even see some stab drags with the default fov. Personally I play on 140, and while the range has been difficult to get used to, it’s all worth it in the end.

How do I get the FOV to be more than 125? I think that’s where it caps out for me in the settings.

• From the perspective of a player with 2088+ hours, trust me, you probably aren’t being ‘targeted’… usually people above a certain threshold are just fucking ridiculous at killing and don’t even need to think to kill… most times anyone under rank 55 is just a walk in the park to those big boyz

Also, I view this as a combat simulator, not a realistic one but a way for people to experience face to face combat with all of the mental game and a lot less of the physical. There are a lot of very intelligent gamers and this is a true expression of the brain power some people posess that they have hidden under their virgin basement dweller skin

• I used to try to be nice to low ranks, but now people are making family sharing alt accounts I can’t trust the low ranks anymore. Half of them are rank 55+'s in disguise. It’s stupid.

• @Tyoson:

I used to try to be nice to low ranks, but now people are making family sharing alt accounts I can’t trust the low ranks anymore. Half of them are rank 55+'s in disguise. It’s stupid.

lol true story.

I used to do that, until I found out that there are few high ranks left in the regular servers so it is not really necessary.

• @einstyle:

How do I get the FOV to be more than 125? I think that’s where it caps out for me in the settings.

Open up console and type in “fov X”, X being the FOV you want to set. It doesn’t change immediately, you have to change to your secondary for it to take effect, but even then it does this weird zoom every time you change weapons. It won’t do that anymore after you die once.