Viability of a ranked matchmaking system/ladder?

• So, being around from the start of this awesome game there’s always been this one element that I felt was missing. I know Chivalry was not designed as a competitive title, but I don’t think it has to be WCS event big for a ladder to make sense and inspire a sense of reward and meaning to one’s play that has always felt lacking outside of being in a competitive clan or the few duel tournaments that used to kick around (but this was gated towards high caliber players and left new/average people in the dark).

If you aren’t aware of what I am referring to, look up Starcraft 2’s, Hearthstone’s or most MOBA’s ladder systems. They’re based on tiers. You start off with a few placement matches to hone in on your base skill level as it stands then; and after this you’re assigned into a league.

For a specific example of how this could work I will again draw from SC2 and it goes as follows:

Bronze > Silver > Gold > Platinum > Diamond > Masters > Grandmaster.

That’s one way to do it, in Hearthstone instead of leagues based on precious metals you have numbered leagues where you rise from high to low. Rank 25 down to rank 1 and after that it’s Legend. In whatever system you play, it’s quite simple. To move forward, win more matches than you lose.

This is merely to give an example of how it could be organized though, it really doesn’t have to be the same exact league system; but the general concept I feel would gush life back into Chivalry for veterans and also allow those who are starting off to regularly duel against players that are roughly on their skill level, instead of exclusively being stomped in standard modes.

The one issue with this, besides the technical design which I have no knowledge of (how difficult would it be to implement?) is that there aren’t really enough players right now for this to flourish.

However, I think if two steps are taken, this issue can be dealt with. First off, you need to hype up the release of this league system, hype it up a lot, get all the totalbiscuits, huskys, forces and boogie 2988s in on promoting it, and the second part of this plan is to make the game F2P.

Now I suggested making the game F2P along time ago, and it didn’t receive that much support. In the end, of course, if that is viable or not depends on how much income you’re making now and how much you’d estimate making in such a switch (push out more cosmetic content to help supplement it). But I think this could work. Even now, you see a massive surge of players on free weekends, and I have a feeling it would be even bigger if it was permanently F2P especially with a large advertisement campaign based around this league system update.

Well, that’s the idea anyways. Think this could work, or is it better to just wait and include this in Chivalry 2, if that’s being made?

• I would be happy if they made the game free2play and did this, although it could probably never truly be a competitive game due to the inconsistencies.

• add more workshop skins, add TF2/DOTA2 item system

add ladder, make F2P, also make me community manager

thats the recipe for success

you’ll definitely need VAC bans tho

• @zombojoe:

add more workshop skins, add TF2/DOTA2 item system

add ladder, make F2P, also make me community manager

thats the recipe for success

you’ll definitely need VAC bans tho

• Changes from Mercs
    • Better server provider

And we have a winner

• As great as it sounds, Chivalry just doesn’t have enough people for a viable matchmaking.

• cuz its not F2P ^

• If you hype up the release of a matchmaking system, as well as permanent F2P, I think you’d be able to bring in enough players to make it work. Yeah, definitely. A league would make more people stick around, it’s something more tangible to strive to.

• a fixed first person spectator camera and spectator overlays (like in CS:GO)

• This is the way to prevent your game from dying, Torn Banner.

• this is the way to get an influx of hackers and ruin chiv for ever.

• Developer

Here is a relevant post on just how many concurrent players are required for effective matchmaking:

http://joostdevblog.blogspot.ca/2014/11/why-good-matchmaking-requires-enormous.html

It is surprising and leaves Chivalry well out of the effective range.

• Yeah, I figured that the concurrent players required for this would be rather high. But didn’t Chivalry used to get over 20,000 active players on free weekends? Maybe that is still possible, if such an update was hyped up and the game was permanently moved over to the F2P model.

Even if you get half of that, at 10,000 players, at worse you’d just need to wait a minute or two to find a player (though I guess this could be much higher in the highest league tier).

Tibberius, how difficult on a technical standpoint would doing this be?

• @Kim:

• a fixed first person spectator camera and spectator overlays (like in CS:GO)

This is sorely needed. Imagine how boring CS would be to spectate if you were forced to watch from a camera in the sky instead of seeing exactly what the NiP boys are doing first hand.

Please give us first person spectator :O

• Wasn’t there first person Spec before? Imagine being able to spectate any of the top tier matches currently ongoing. That’d be damn cool, especially with first person spec.

• there was but somebody at TBS oops’d the part of the code that controlled the z axis movement
    pro mod and chiv+ fixed that when they were around

after that it just got silently removed with the customization update, apparently checking what custumizations a player is wearing and carrying them over to the spectator first person models was too much work

• @The:

Wasn’t there first person Spec before? Imagine being able to spectate any of the top tier matches currently ongoing. That’d be damn cool, especially with first person spec.

Yup kinda what zombo said. It once existed in a semi buggy form, but then it got completely removed :(

• I feel like the spectator overlays should be relatively simple, since the health/stamina display stuff is already used in the official duel mode. Now I’m no code magician, but to me that seems like the hardest part done, all that it would take extra would be to check what weapons each player is using and their ammo count. X-Ray like in CS spectating would be awesome too, lots of times streams miss flanks because they don’t see them.

• @FartTender:

this is the way to get an influx of hackers and ruin chiv for ever.

This is probably the only thing preventing TBS from going F2P with Dota-esque cosmetics. It is also a very legitimate and SERIOUS concern. Imagine this game was actually popular. The kind of cheats people would make would be absolutely insane.

• This only applies to duel, right?
    I don’t imagine TO matchmaking would be possible. Even if Chiv got a lot of players at once, how many would be playing duel?

• Yes, I think duel would be the most efficient and viable method, if any is viable.