Viability of a ranked matchmaking system/ladder?

• Developer

Here is a relevant post on just how many concurrent players are required for effective matchmaking:

http://joostdevblog.blogspot.ca/2014/11/why-good-matchmaking-requires-enormous.html

It is surprising and leaves Chivalry well out of the effective range.

• Yeah, I figured that the concurrent players required for this would be rather high. But didn’t Chivalry used to get over 20,000 active players on free weekends? Maybe that is still possible, if such an update was hyped up and the game was permanently moved over to the F2P model.

Even if you get half of that, at 10,000 players, at worse you’d just need to wait a minute or two to find a player (though I guess this could be much higher in the highest league tier).

Tibberius, how difficult on a technical standpoint would doing this be?

• @Kim:

• a fixed first person spectator camera and spectator overlays (like in CS:GO)

This is sorely needed. Imagine how boring CS would be to spectate if you were forced to watch from a camera in the sky instead of seeing exactly what the NiP boys are doing first hand.

Please give us first person spectator :O

• Wasn’t there first person Spec before? Imagine being able to spectate any of the top tier matches currently ongoing. That’d be damn cool, especially with first person spec.

• there was but somebody at TBS oops’d the part of the code that controlled the z axis movement
    pro mod and chiv+ fixed that when they were around

after that it just got silently removed with the customization update, apparently checking what custumizations a player is wearing and carrying them over to the spectator first person models was too much work

• @The:

Wasn’t there first person Spec before? Imagine being able to spectate any of the top tier matches currently ongoing. That’d be damn cool, especially with first person spec.

Yup kinda what zombo said. It once existed in a semi buggy form, but then it got completely removed :(

• I feel like the spectator overlays should be relatively simple, since the health/stamina display stuff is already used in the official duel mode. Now I’m no code magician, but to me that seems like the hardest part done, all that it would take extra would be to check what weapons each player is using and their ammo count. X-Ray like in CS spectating would be awesome too, lots of times streams miss flanks because they don’t see them.

• @FartTender:

this is the way to get an influx of hackers and ruin chiv for ever.

This is probably the only thing preventing TBS from going F2P with Dota-esque cosmetics. It is also a very legitimate and SERIOUS concern. Imagine this game was actually popular. The kind of cheats people would make would be absolutely insane.

• This only applies to duel, right?
    I don’t imagine TO matchmaking would be possible. Even if Chiv got a lot of players at once, how many would be playing duel?

• Yes, I think duel would be the most efficient and viable method, if any is viable.

• @zombojoe:

after that it just got silently removed with the customization update, apparently checking what custumizations a player is wearing and carrying them over to the spectator first person models was too much work

Are you kidding me? THAT’s the reason?

FFS TBS, just make first person view use the default skins if it’s such a damn amount of work. Nobody cares what people look like in this game. Heck, most people play at the lowest possible graphic settings with tweaked INI minimal LOD sizes.

IF YOU PLAY THIS GAME FOR EYE CANDY, UR DOING IT WRONG!