Micro Stutter Fix

• This fix worked for me, perfect 60fps always (except for battlegrounds). However, I reverted the changes because gameplay just didn’t feel right…idk, placebo effect probably. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I’m very superstitious when it comes to chivalry, even going so far as to change my emblem when I’m playing like shit…yeah…

• @parkrangerstan:

This fix worked for me, perfect 60fps always (except for battlegrounds). However, I reverted the changes because gameplay just didn’t feel right…idk, placebo effect probably. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I’m very superstitious when it comes to chivalry, even going so far as to change my emblem when I’m playing like shit…yeah…

I know what you mean. The first few days of playing with the tweaks, it was so smooth that it felt weird because I was used to the massive swings in FPS from 120 down to 45 on some of the maps. But with these tweaks, smooth fps and zero screen tearing. IF you get any stuttering or delay it is caused by lag from the server and the bad netcoding and usually there is little you can do about that.

While everyone assumes that more FPS = better game play, with Chiv, I have found that if you can get and maintain a solid 60 FPS in sync with your 60Hz monitor the game is smooth as silk with no screen tearing. The only issue is possible mouse delay, but that is why you set your Render Frames Ahead (Nviidia control panel) to 1 or 2 max to limit that delay.

Give it a go for a week or so and see if you dont see a dramatic change to how the game plays because you are used to the game being choppy and when it doesnt happen it feels weird. Once you get used to the smooth play, drags are so much more effective and gratifying.

• Found another possible Micro stutter fix and testing it now.
    UDKEngine.ini
    bUseTextureStreaming=False (default is True)
    This will make larger maps load longer but it might stop the streaming in of new textures

• @filthypeasant:

on a lot of maps i manage to run the game at almost 120fps constantly with lowered settings…

then again on maps like battleground i even get dips below 60 nowadays… runs extremely horrible for me, especially when playing mason and looking down the hill, observed with better hardware and strongly reduced graphic settings compared to a few month ago.
    some of the newly added community maps like the one that starts in the swamp also run utterly bad for the most part.

get the performance at least back to where it has been already TB pls, also i wish i could go over 120 just like in offline mode but that’s a different kind of topic and probably unnecessary to demand when it already fails at 60fps right now.

60fps is a failure, lol you are spoilt. I cant wait until I get a constant 60fps.

• 144 hz monitor here, I turn on blur busters strobelight beta app to remove all motion blur (feels like a CRT) and run it at 120 hz since that’s the max frames per second that chiv will allow. Turning on adaptive vsync through nvidia control panel, as well as 2 frame render ahead limit and turning texture streaming off has done wonders for the performance of my game. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions Retsnom.

• vsync is bad, mmkay?

• @Le:

vsync is bad, mmkay?

most def, desync legit gave me aids

• @Gauntlet:

144 hz monitor here, I turn on blur busters strobelight beta app to remove all motion blur (feels like a CRT) and run it at 120 hz since that’s the max frames per second that chiv will allow. Turning on adaptive vsync through nvidia control panel, as well as 2 frame render ahead limit and turning texture streaming off has done wonders for the performance of my game. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions Retsnom.

What is this blur busters strobelight beta app that you speak of? Sounds interesting. Last night I bit the bullet and got that new ASUS VG248QE 24" 1080p 144Hz 3D Gaming LED Monitor ($250), HOLY SHIT GAG is it amaizeballs. I still have a very minor micro stutter in some areas as well as out of game when scrolling web pages. But OH MY… what a difference. It just sucks that I have to spend almost $1000 more on GPU and monitor just get this game to run smooth and look good.

But glad that I could help ya.

Never mind… Google is my friend. Seems pretty damn cool. So does enabling strobe have any negative effects on the monitor over time?

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/10vs50vs100/

• @Retsnom:

What is this blur busters strobelight beta app that you speak of? Sounds interesting. Last night I bit the bullet and got that new ASUS VG248QE 24" 1080p 144Hz 3D Gaming LED Monitor ($250), HOLY SHIT GAG is it amaizeballs. I still have a very minor micro stutter in some areas as well as out of game when scrolling web pages. But OH MY… what a difference. It just sucks that I have to spend almost $1000 more on GPU and monitor just get this game to run smooth and look good.

But glad that I could help ya.

Never mind… Google is my friend. Seems pretty damn cool. So does enabling strobe have any negative effects on the monitor over time?

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/10vs50vs100/

Taken from a Q and A in comments:
    Answers:
    It’s actually a built-in part of the monitor, normally designed to eliminate 3D crosstalk during 3D stereoscopic use. We’re simply using this existing strobing feature for 2D motion blur elimination instead. It doesn’t affect the monitor’s lifespan. For more information, see the LightBoost FAQ.

The only thing I’ve noticed is that if you cannot keep a consistent 120 fps in game with the strobe app running, you’ll see this awful stutter when the frames drop. So 100% do not use unless you can maintain the 120. I use it mainly in older games and in low populated chiv matches on certain maps (FFA moor or any map that runs consistent. Do not enable on citadel, cove, battlegrounds, etc). Basically, this is the poor mans G-Sync for those of us who don’t want to burn 200$ to rip open the monitor and install it. G-sync is better because if your frame rate dips, you won’t experience the stutter.

The good thing is it can be turned on / off on the fly with a hotkey.

• Ok here’s my fix:

i can can run this game with unlocked fps 120 constant on 1080p but it tears and jitters so it isn’t really nice to play.
    Capping your fps around 60 just worsen the tearing even. Vsync is not an option because this game feels like moving through honey with it enabled!

I set my windows screen resolution to 1280x1024 (the highest mode to support 75hz)
    set same resolution in game
    set everything to low/medium or whatever keeps your fps at 120 (doesn’t look good in high on this resolution either way)

i also maxxed my fov because various reasons. First you got wider view and second the “fisheye” effect has the illusion of the game going faster.

I see see no tearing whatsoever and you can play at any map with as many players you like still being silky smooth. It’s really hard to play any other way once you tried this level of smoothness.

• get a g-sync monitor.