Terrible looking combat

• Hello!

I’m a complete noob in Chivalry series and I’m constantly get killed by retarded combos like
    360 degree horisontal overheads
    180 degree swings
    strange stabs of hammers that take 30% hp
    vertical strikes where ppl look upwards.

Dudes, WTF has happened to the combat system? those moves look terrible and have nothing to do with real swordfights. IRL any of those retarded moves would mean a fast stab in lungs, belly or hip with an instant lethal outcome.
    DW has no such disgusting features, but also has no balance: those shield bashes, instakill spears and annoying pirates. So it’s kinda unplayable too.

As a huge fan swordfights I fing all the series of Chivalry vastly inferior to Movie Battles project, but it’s too outdated and depopulated ATM…

• Just a side effect of the real time swing system. People are good enough at this game to not get hit ever by normal swings now. That leaves feints and dragging. Dragging is easier to deal with than feints, but looks more stupid when taken to the extreme. This is the game I’m afraid, it’s quite old now, and if you think they’re gonna dump real time swings you’ll be in for a disappointment. There are melee games with more realistic combat, but none of them are as fun.

• its a game, not supposed to mimic real life medieval combat

• IRL complaining about how somebody killed you doesn’t actually happen.

• It’s a videogame. It never claimed to be realistic nor does it try to be.

• But….but it’s so much fun :/

• have you never seen star wars?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! completely realistic

• @Rekrab:

have you never seen star wars?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! completely realistic

Star Wars: Jedi Academy is almost 12-years old now, but even now vanilla combat looks (I mean LOOKS, not plays) better. 3 years ago I was on par with the best saberists in Movie Battles 2 add-on, and even now the combat system feels more refined and balanced. And, to be honest, even looks better (despite poor animation):

http://youtu.be/9O_XItPQkYc

Unfortunately, in CMW I see people fighting heads down, jumping “a-la Quake” while swinging their hammers in 180 degree arcs.

• @Harry:

Just a side effect of the real time swing system. People are good enough at this game to not get hit ever by normal swings now. That leaves feints and dragging. Dragging is easier to deal with than feints, but looks more stupid when taken to the extreme. This is the game I’m afraid, it’s quite old now, and if you think they’re gonna dump real time swings you’ll be in for a disappointment. There are melee games with more realistic combat, but none of them are as fun.

What games are you talking about? Hope you don’t mean Dark Souls 1/2?

• @Zak:

Hello!

I’m a complete noob in Chivalry series and I’m constantly get killed by retarded combos like
    360 degree horisontal overheads
    180 degree swings
    strange stabs of hammers that take 30% hp
    vertical strikes where ppl look upwards.

None of those were combos. A combo is multiple things.
    Anyway, don’t play for the sword fighting. Play for the TO objectives. I see it as an objective simulator, with combat as cheap filler.

• @Zak:

I was on par with the best saberists

And here you suck. Maybe you should move on rather than devoting more time to complaining about a game you apparently have barely played. Who cares what you did in a different video game? If you don’t understand the animations you are seeing maybe you should play a realistic game of COD instead of complaining.

• if you ask me the only thing that looks terrible in this game is drags. feints, insta-overheads and even reverses dont look bad imo

• @Zak:

Star Wars: Jedi Academy is almost 12-years old now, but even now vanilla combat looks (I mean LOOKS, not plays) better. 3 years ago I was on par with the best saberists in Movie Battles 2 add-on, and even now the combat system feels more refined and balanced. And, to be honest, even looks better (despite poor animation):

http://youtu.be/9O_XItPQkYc

@Rob_Owner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNoX-sx0HIs

THIS is terrible looking in combat imo. What are you doing? Bashing your mouse buttons and faintheartedly trying to get in the range of your enemy, jumping around? This looks like somebody is just smashing random buttons on their keyboards.
    I’d rather stick to CMW or JKO 1.02.

@Zak:

Unfortunately, in CMW I see people fighting heads down, jumping “a-la Quake” while swinging their hammers in 180 degree arcs.

Hu, wait, JKA is based on the quake engine and you’re telling me people are strafe jumping in CMW? I’ve never seen anyone strafe jump in CMW, because you can’t.

• sadly you cant strafe jump or bhop :( the possibilities

• @Skindiacus:

None of those were combos. A combo is multiple things.
    Anyway, don’t play for the sword fighting. Play for the TO objectives. I see it as an objective simulator, with combat as cheap filler.

But I actually play for duels mostly: Chivalry combat system would be quite nice if those weirs moves with unnatural drags and overheads were fixed

@BillDoor:

And here you suck. Maybe you should move on rather than devoting more time to complaining about a game you apparently have barely played. Who cares what you did in a different video game? If you don’t understand the animations you are seeing maybe you should play a realistic game of COD instead of complaining.

I’m not complaining about being owned in general. I’m complaining about being owned by creepy and freakishly-looking moves that have nothing in common with real swordplay.

@Rob_Owner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNoX-sx0HIs

@INerevar:

THIS is terrible looking in combat imo. What are you doing? Bashing your mouse buttons and faintheartedly trying to get in the range of your enemy, jumping around? This looks like somebody is just smashing random buttons on their keyboards.
    I’d rather stick to CMW or JKO 1.02

Hu, wait, JKA is based on the quake engine and you’re telling me people are strafe jumping in CMW? I’ve never seen anyone strafe jumping in CMW.

JKA on itself is a quite mediocre slasher, but Movie Battles 2 mod is a different story (which I played for years with multiple breaks).

Example of 2v1 duels:
    http://youtu.be/f3S95BhRp_k

a small guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWu8K-C1Jo

The main problem is an archaic age of JKA and Quake 3 engine, low population of the servers and general stagnation of the project (no wonder, considering it’s age). and slappy animation.

• Aww yeah, bunnyhopping knights. Now that’s immersive!

• @CRUSHED:

sadly you cant strafe jump or bhop :( the possibilities

I’d give it a try.