What's your best tip for reading feints?

• Outside of maul feints, I can’t read feints at all. I have a 185 ms reaction time towards color change and about a 160 ms reaction time to movement, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

One reason is that most people don’t feint. When somebody does feint, it catches me by surprise. I might be fighting against them for a little while but it’s nowhere near enough practice to consistently read feints. I guess one solution might be to feint so that other people will feint me, but to be honest I wouldn’t feel good about myself if I used a move that I myself couldn’t defend against. Another solution would be to create a mod that allows me to practice against feinting, but I don’t have that much experience with programming. I did try to create a feint training mod but I experienced many problems.

So…Does anyone have any magical tips?

Thanks.

• top secret south american comp strategy incoming

Do you have any buddies in-game that also want to get better at feint reading?
    Open some duelyard and have your buddy feint you aggressively and in random patterns… constantly… double, triple feints, combo feints, he doesn’t actually need to attack after every feint and you can let him recover his stamina, of course. all you have to do is parry or not parry accordingly. have him switch classes/weapons from time to time so your brain registers the different motions of each model/feint.

When he kills you, switch roles.
    repeat and do it for some minutes every day for a few days. or until you get better at not panicking. once you achieve that, you should be able to counter-attack when you “read” a feint.

Then, you can have actual feint duels and not just some silly practice.
    also, always remember to keep your distance. feints at facehug look more menacing and are harder to read than if you were to take a step back.

All you need is to develop some muscle memory and you can achieve that through practice. it worked for me, and I was the panickiest of panickers with too many hours on this damn game. I got really better after only 3 nights, then I stopped practicing, 420blazedit and eventually reverted to my panicky ways. Should’ve kept at it longer.

• Unbind your RMB
    Or you can try dueling for 7 hours a day

• Have a 144hz monitor and 20 ping everywhere first, then learn to read.

• @swagfox:

Have a 144hz monitor and 20 ping everywhere first, then learn to read.

I have one but not the other GG

you dont feint read, you gamble that he will feint you and force a hit-trade/flinch

• zombojoe is the gambler lord don’t listen to him. The animations are not consistent, so 100% feint reading can never be achieved, but you can read a good deal of them.

1 way is passive reading, aka you wait until their feint window ends and parry only then.

2nd way is agressive reading, aka you start an attack against an opponent who you know feints a lot, and if his feint window passes, you ftp or else you get flinched in windup. If he does go for a feint, you’ll get a hit. This way requires a lot of stamina so be cautious about it.

Both ways need good muscle memory and a lot of practice.

• I usually stam out from #2

big yellow bar game

• It takes some practicing time but even then not all feints are possible to read.
    Longsword stab feints ending up inside your body, Messer reverses that give you 1 frame to somehow decide whether it’s a feint or not, that kind of stuff…

Really, the best option you have when it comes to feint reading is backpedalling whenever you’re not currently attacking. Keep your distance. Monsteri taught me this a while ago and at first I didn’t pay much attention to it for obvious reasons, but it’s still the best option you have.

That obvious reason is me using a short weapon like the Double Axe. Honestly? That short reach really blows up in your face in feint duels. It’s either backpedalling and being very predictable since you have to sprint forward everytime you want to reach your enemy, or not backpedalling which makes it near-impossible to read facehug feints.

• wait longer than you think you can, getting hit because you waited too long is better than falling for a feint

• you need 144hz/144fps, monitor with 0 delay, 130+ fov, >30 ping, maximum of 130 ms reaction time & 10 hour long feint duel sessions on adderall/ritalin

nah man all u really need is this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

• “You don’t need skill in chiv, you just need to know what to do”
    Low ping and high fps is what you need. High FoV also helps a lot.

• High FOV. 144 Hz monitor, GTX 980 sli for 144 fps constantly. Gsync monitor. sub 50 ping for both duelists.

Now you can read most feints, probably.

• High FOV can also hinder if you distort it lots and aren’t used to it. As all the animations would “look” completely different as they are all stretched and everything.

• @The:

High FOV. 144 Hz monitor, GTX 980 sli for 144 fps constantly. Gsync monitor. sub 50 ping for both duelists.

Now you can read most feints, probably.

I’d say 30 is more like it. I mean, you can read 2h axe or 1h oh feints with 50 or way higher even but I really don’t think you’ll call 2h sword stab feints that well or Some of the jerkier anims in general. But 50ms that’s consistent is better than most people in na and that’d be pretty awesome to have lol

• A lot of good advice in here. I think having a monitor that allows you to play at 120fps is pretty helpful but I know some people who play at 60 and can still read pretty well. For me there is definitely some prediction involved when it gets to face hug range but I believe that most feints can be read with enough practice and skill. I’ve seen you around a bit you can add me if you like I’m always up for some good feint practice.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198092060775

• Oh and overclock so you move faster than people, that should help as well. Should be a lot easier to read feints and you hit during windups so you can gamble 24/7 basically.

• It comes down to being able to distinguish a weapon’s windup from its release. On top of that, there are other aspects that you have control over that can help, eg. playing on 120hz monitor and @ high fps. Then there are aspects which are out of your control, such as playing with shitty-ass ping, like 100 ping. You greedy bitches don’t know what shitty ping is if you’re complaining about 60-70.

• Yeah lol. I don’t know what people are complaining about 60-70 ping. You get people from western Australia or the northern territories with their 100-120 ping. Strangely enough people from Hong Kong get like 140 ping on Australian servers yet people from the wrong side of Australia are only 20ms lower. New Zealanders can get 60 easily enough on a good day.

But yeah the pings are crazy. Probably why feints are looked down on far more here. As its impossible to read them even if you predict that its likely to happen. But if it doesn’t happen you get hit and with the higher ping there was pretty much nothing you can do other than gamble.

• @parkrangerstan:

It comes down to being able to distinguish a weapon’s windup from its release. On top of that, there are other aspects that you have control over that can help, eg. playing on 120hz monitor and @ high fps. Then there are aspects which are out of your control, such as playing with shitty-ass ping, like 100 ping. You greedy bitches don’t know what shitty ping is if you’re complaining about 60-70.

there’s a huge difference between 56 and 64 ping which are the common pings for me, 64 is awful, 56 is decent. if it goes above 70 it’s just no fun playing and above 80 it’s just terrible.

• i just upgraded chivalry by downloading the latest 130 FOV updates.

I still prefere 120 for team fight, and 130 for duel but we’ll see if i just end up doing 130 all the time. I have to re-learn ranges.