The Halberd is mightier than the Sword

• Hey everyone.

I’ve been wondering why I don’t see a lot of halberd players in the game.
    Sure, it’s harder to use than most other vanguard weapons but it has its strengths.
    I don’t actually see a lot of bardiche users either, which is odd because it has good swing drags.

What’s your take on these weapons?
    If you think they’re good, why do you think they’re still so unpopular?

• They’re fun niche weapons for pubbing but as soon as you come up against an equally skilled opponent, sword has the advantage. Halberd is also harder to use since you actually need footwork, dragging and distancing to use it, so noobs can’t do well with it. So you only really see moderate skill players using it in FFA-Moor and some TO maps.

• The halberd is a support weapon and nobody wants to have to rely on teammates to be good. Fast weapons own the current meta, especially swords with their retarded “start the animation infront of you” stabs. You’re just handicapping yourself if you use a halberd unless you’re using it in a team setting where you’re actually following your buddies.

• Swords are faster, longer and deal more damage than polearms, except for their stabs maybe.

• imo billhook is a lot better, as it is faster and still has a 3htk on knights.
    halberd has pretty cancerous knockback, I saw it used twice in a scrim yesterday ;_;
    other than that it’s a bit slow, but you can do the combo wombo 360 drags
    bardiche is good vs knight and maa I think

• Bardiche has shitty stabs due low damage and I don’t like its range. Halberd is gud because it has bad animations, like the stab windup that tricks people, alt overhead b0ckswing that looks really fucked up and a riposte after a cftp with the slash or the overhead is easily exploitable due the lack of alt attacks riposte windup animation. Also has good drags imo, its a really decent weapon but suffers the same problem as zwei, that is huge windup/combo times, but this is no problemo if you know how to use these weapons range.

I agree with AmishInsurgent, you better go greatsword then halberd.

• Halberd’s a solid maul counter, tough to fight.

• @AmishInsurgent:

The halberd is a support weapon and nobody wants to have to rely on teammates to be good.

When I play spearguard, I rely on my teammates to get kills. Basically, I stay behind or beside a few buddies that are occupied with a few enemies. I stab at anyone of the baddies who are not looking at me, preferably if he’s bloodied too. So yeah, I go for the killsteal tactic when I am a Vanguard. That’s how you’re supposed to play with spear though, in real life as well.

• @Kim:

Halberd’s a solid maul counter, tough to fight.

ya most def with all those long range attacks and massive kn0ckbacks you literally cant riposte

• @Kim:

Halberd’s a solid maul counter, tough to fight.

It’s just a solid knight counter in general, if their footwork and reading is up to scratch you’re going to have a real problem getting remotely close to them before you run out of stamina.

gg knockback

• polehammer is better tho

nothing like a good golf club trade 2 hits everything

• It got over nerfed the first time out of the gate on the very first patch so no one really plays it as their main except a few. It is the 3rd slowest weapon that does not do enough damage for the amount of stamina it uses. Add in the dumbass sprint attack and the equally dumb chase mechanic being pretty much broken, it is only good for pubbing. maybe.

• Polehamburger is amazing in FFA.

At least its no where near as bad as it was in beta.

• @zombojoe:

polehammer is better tho

nothing like a good golf club trade 2 hits everything

Halberds way more annoying than polehammer as a knight imo. Polehammer has to be facehugging for the feints to be a little threatening in which case you can just flinch their slow as balls attacks with kicks or overheads lol. Halberd doesn’t have that because of retard range and knockback imo

• It’s weird what you guys are saying. Sure the greatsword and billhook may be better stats-wise, but the halberd’s tracer makes for some amazing stabdrags and can throw people off with overheads to the back if you can do the footwork.

I personally never found the halberd to be inferior to either weapons. If anything, I fight better with the halberd than with the greatsword at times. For me it’s greatsword for low-skill fights, and halberd for competitive fights.

@AmishInsurgent:

The halberd is a support weapon and nobody wants to have to rely on teammates to be good. Fast weapons own the current meta, especially swords with their retarded “start the animation infront of you” stabs. You’re just handicapping yourself if you use a halberd unless you’re using it in a team setting where you’re actually following your buddies.

Halberd’s start the animation inside of you allows you to give yourself some extra time for footwork to hit your opponent’s side.
    Plus the riposte swings with the halberd are faster than most of the riposte swings in the game. Definitely faster than the greatsword, and almost the same as the billhook.

• @Retsnom:

It got over nerfed the first time out of the gate on the very first patch so no one really plays it as their main except a few. It is the 3rd slowest weapon that does not do enough damage for the amount of stamina it uses. Add in the dumbass sprint attack and the equally dumb chase mechanic being pretty much broken, it is only good for pubbing. maybe.

They should bring back the 1hit on 3 classes but nerf the speed more tbh.

• @swagfox:

Halberds way more annoying than polehammer as a knight imo. Polehammer has to be facehugging for the feints to be a little threatening in which case you can just flinch their slow as balls attacks with kicks or overheads lol. Halberd doesn’t have that because of retard range and knockback imo

Bossman you forgetting the power of the Swolehammer?

• halberd is top tier vg weapon

• @Retsnom:

It got over nerfed the first time out of the gate on the very first patch so no one really plays it as their main except a few. It is the 3rd slowest weapon that does not do enough damage for the amount of stamina it uses. Add in the dumbass sprint attack and the equally dumb chase mechanic being pretty much broken, it is only good for pubbing. maybe.

halberd is perfectly viable, it’s not the most common vanguard weapon but its not exactly rare either

• I’ve been using the halberd quite a bit when I pick vanguard. You can do some insane time-bending spins with it. People don’t even know what happened when my reverse overhead hit them in the face, haha. But polehammer is better, it’s essentially just maul + halberd. High reach, high damage.