The Halberd is mightier than the Sword

• @Retsnom:

Level 56 with over 2000+ hours in game. I didn’t say it was impossible to kill a MAA but the main point is that the stab is far from accurate and lags behind the animation (see swingtrace, ignore the Blue lines as they are not the impact tracers) and it is the 3rd/4th slowest weapon in the game, because it is long it also telegraphs it’s swings and even feints. Ripostes are fast but that is about it. Combos are some of the slowest in game. It is really pretty good with drags but the OH drag you have to crouch at the end to get it to contact, again because of the swing tracers. Have you ever seen you swing traces? turn it on and you will see exactly what I mean.

Know what you mean but lately I’ve been able to delay the overhead reliably without crouching.
    I will admit that the halberd is a lot less inaccurate than other weapons. It still doesn’t mean that it’s “reliably” inaccurate.
    Never felt the combos are too slow. Sometimes my combos are too fast for some people to react to.

The halberd is a really hard weapon to get used to, but I started using it before the nerf so I was already used to its animations and accuracy after the nerf. Once you do get used to it, it becomes a decent weapon.

• halberd is probably the most unpredictable weapon in game. It’s hard to know what the opponent is going to do next in any sort of combo situation. Quick kicks helps a lot against them though.

• @Xylvion:

halberd is probably the most unpredictable weapon in game. It’s hard to know what the opponent is going to do next in any sort of combo situation. Quick kicks helps a lot against them though.

That’s both true and not true at the same time. The combos may be really unpredictable (huzzah).

But the true unpredictable weapon is the brandistock. Drag that weapon like a champ and no one will know what’s going on. I don’t know how to do it myself, but I saw someone who does. I couldn’t even parry 20% of his stabs.

I would like the halberd’s riposte stab’s animation to be less confusing though, and the transition from alt overhead to stab to be less sudden. Some of my kills sometimes feel cheap due to the nature of the animations.

Still, the satisfaction you get from doing amazing combos with the halberd is as good as when you do the same with the longsword. And that’s why I’ll never stop halberding. And longswording.

• halberd is not bad. why is this being discussed?

• @J-D:

halberd is not bad. why is this being discussed?

Mainly because I’ve been getting such mixed responses from everyone while playing.
    Some people say it’s overpowered
    Others say it’s underpowered

Way too many people have reacted in an extreme towards both directions.

I fought with a lot of weapons in chivalry, but it’s only the halberd that I keep getting such weird reactions from.
    I wanted to know where that stemmed from basically.

• it’s probably because polearms, not including polehammer, are udnerused and people are not really sure how to counter them. Halberd can be really hard to see as it’s kinda thin with a pointy thing at the top, unlike bardouche, billhook and polehammer where you actually see the pole. I hate billhook more though, as it’s like a claymore with major damage, better reach and great dragability.

• Also, why not use the zwei instead of the halberd?

• zwei and spear best vg weapons right now

• I like the halberd. If you can get the first hit in any given fight, the moderate combo speed gives you some leeway to read your opponent and react accordingly.

At least I would do that if I didn’t use its reach to just stab people when they’re teamfighting. Free killz ftw !

• Apparently no one here has fought Nigolai.

• @wyrda78:

Apparently no one here has fought Nigolai.

He knows his angles with every polearm, pain in the ass to fight if you’re not used to it. Infernus is better with ze halberd though. Scary times in dools and teamfights, especially if you’re on his team haha.

• @MrGrumps:

That’s both true and not true at the same time. The combos may be really unpredictable (huzzah).

But the true unpredictable weapon is the brandistock. Drag that weapon like a champ and no one will know what’s going on. I don’t know how to do it myself, but I saw someone who does. I couldn’t even parry 20% of his stabs.

I would like the halberd’s riposte stab’s animation to be less confusing though, and the transition from alt overhead to stab to be less sudden. Some of my kills sometimes feel cheap due to the nature of the animations.

Still, the satisfaction you get from doing amazing combos with the halberd is as good as when you do the same with the longsword. And that’s why I’ll never stop halberding. And longswording.

The brandi is no more unpreditable than the Halberd. Someone said it before in that there are so few upper level guys using them that many are not used to going up against a good player with those weapons. That said. There is a trick that the upper level brandi players are doing with their stabs that make them terribly deceiving. They use the very long stab and they do a slow drag it up above your head and at it max reach, they do a quick drag down on your head making very hard to time the parry and to place the parry at the right angle. Most parry too soon because it is an off speed stab to begin with on top of not looking up with the parry.

There is also the attack stab to the right of the shield/parry where the drag stab goes around the shield/parry to the right and down to register a hit to the legs or feet. The one that is really hard to parry against the Brandi is side swing when they are not even facing you so what the do is the drag stab I mentioned above and then turn to the side and hit you with the start of the swing while not even facing you that is just as fast as a combo.

@J-D:

halberd is not bad. why is this being discussed?

Because it is not good either. I have been playing it since AOC and a Halberd loyalist. I have been manning it since release and the original over nerf and then through the handle hit nerf bs and the previous poster is correct in that the Zwie is superior to the Halberd in almost every way and does more damage with less need for accuracy during the sprint attack.

I just hate all sword animations because they are incorrect. What I mean by this is that for someone like me who has actually fought with many of the weapons in the game doing live steel demonstrations as well as fencing, the animations and arm locations in 1st person are at the wrong elevation so I tend to look down at a lower degree out of muscle memory and visual cues. The best example is when you are sprinting with a sword in 1st person, the arm animations are too high on the screen and visually inaccurate so I tend to ignore the crosshair and end up looking down lower and end up hitting the body or lower legs than the head. But that is just me I guess…

• I believe swords and spears outshine the polearms. They are not bad, but these weapons are better so why use them polearms.

I agree that the tracers matching the animations would do good for them polearms, I really hate their overhead, its so fucked up when you drag it. I mean, completely unintuitive for a new player to understand how the damage works with this weapon category, because the model phases through your opponent in many situations. This can be so fucking annoying its not even funny.

For those who knows how to deal with this unfixed problem, they are decent weapons but still outclassed by swords/spears imo.

• it’s obvious that no one in this thread saying halberd is bad has ever seen or played against Noxa.

• @Stael:

it’s obvious that no one in this thread saying halberd is bad has ever seen or played against Noxa.

Irrelevant one good player dosen’t mean the weapon is any good. There are only a handful of good upper level players that man the halberd on a regular basis, even fewer like me that uses the halberd as their main class. It isn’t bad so to speak, it has a few nice things but it is definitely a support weapon at this point. Almost every sword and sword class is superior to it specially with the hit exchange meta/stamina drain cost per damage amounts/constant ghost stabs/sprint attack vulnerability-survivability and lack of dragging/ and the unpredictable chase mechanic that nerfs hit and run tactics. It just isnt a good weapon either against other choices like the Zwie or long sword aka why so few people play it.

• So you want the halberd to be like a sword?

Its rs supposed to be a support weapon.

• Actually if one (and it’s not just one here in EU) player can use the weapon and be on par with other players, using what you regard as superior weapons, I would say that does mean the weapon is viable.

• @lemonater47:

So you want the halberd to be like a sword?

Its rs supposed to be a support weapon.

No I want it to be viable against swords and lighter faster classes. It should 1 hit all archers and Maa with a sprint bodyshot. Traditionally they were first line of attack specially against cavalry and lined formations, guard weapons, not just support weapons. It was one of the last developed and perfected weapons of the period because of what it could do against swords, shields, armor mulitpul enemies up until the Musket arrived.

It “supposed” to be a support weapon is your opinion not based in historical facts. Granted the game is loosely based in reality but historically speaking: A Swiss peasant used a halberd to kill Charles the Bold, the Duke of Burgundy—decisively ending the Bugundian Wars, literally in a single stroke. Researchers suspect that a halberd or a bill sliced through the back of King Richard III’s skull at the Battle of Bosworth.

Thus the original nerf which was clearly needed was sadly an over nerf. That original nerf should be cut in half restoring the Halberd’s viability considering that it was nerfed again by the retarded handle hit nerf. Halberds should also have a similar attack like the quarter staff being able to use the butt end of the weapon since it is also either a small blade or pommel.

• One shot MAA with a charge body shot??? Do you struggle to aim those or something lol.

It was designed to counter pikes as well as crushing through armour. Lop the pointy end of the pike off then stab the user. It was long enough to be effective against cavalry. When it hit it caused significant damage against armour. But so did all polearms.

• The only problem with the halberd is how an accelerated overhead sometimes hits very late, much like the poleaxe does now. This basically means that if you want to stop the gamble hittrades reliably, you need to stab.
    Besides that, as someone who has and still occasionally does use the halberd competitively, I say halberd seems quite balanced in its current state.