New player with some observations/questions

• I’ve been playing this game for 2 weeks, I’m probably the worst level 20 ever. 1:1 KDR in FFA is a moderate success for me, when I’m usually around 70%, with games like 35% really not that rare. I was never really that much into games though, my reaction time is terrible, so I’m not mad, this game is fun as fk. And being that much fun, what really cheapens it in my eyes are these moonwalking-lay-on-your-back-swing-heavy-ass-warhammer-in-every-direction moves. Being a huge medieval fan brought me to this game and while I’m not a fan of hyper-realism and replaying medieval swordfight as closely as possible, these moves were a major eyesore for me the first time I played.

So here’s my first question - I see a lot of people doing this with nobody complaining while a lot of people get angry for feinting (not at me, I feinted like 5 times tops, because I’m not coordinated enough). What’s so wrong with feints?

Second thing - how do you drag stabs without looking down? I start a stab with Zweihander, other guy sees it and immediately starts a stab with his Zweihander, hits me first and I’m dead. I died mutliple times this way, how is that possible?

Do you sprint all the time when fighting 1 on 1 in FFA? If not, when it’s best to sprint in those situations? I tried sprinting all the time, but after 2 swings I usually have no idea where I am and where people are and when not sprinting at all I’m an easy target for people passing by or behind me.

And last question - one area I not suck at is charging at groups of people, that’s where I get a lot of my kills, but since yesterday when I press LMB when charging there’s a lack of animation, and I suddenly appear in weird places, (usually already standing, so after the animation) way further than the charge could possibly take me. Needless to say before I can realize where I am, I take an axe to the head. Anybody had a similar issue?

• 1. The moonwalking swings and all that crazy looking stuff is called dragging. No one complains (usually) because it adds depth to the game. If you’re familiar with Dark Souls, it’s like how Toggle Escapes added to the depth.

2. People dislike feinting because they’re almost impossible to REACT to. You CAN, with ALOT of practice, but even then only to some of the slower weapons. I don’t think anyone here can honestly say they can read Norse feints or anything like that. It could just be that i’m bad, though.

3. You drag stabs like any other attack, it’s just alot harder. Your stab hitbox is active for more than a single moment, thus it can be dragged.

4. Sprinting in a 1v1? No. Not unless i’m at max stamina or i’m closing the distance.

5. No idea what you’re talking about with your issue at the end.

• In reply to your observations and first question: People love winning too much. It’s the classic winning vs fun theme. It’s the reason why feints, archers, the controls, maa, lag, vanguards, the animations, knights, tkers, high ping, drags, every map, and the entire game is hated. Anything at all that inhibits getting a bit more XP is despised by the community.
    Feints do leave things up to luck a bit, as they’re hard to read. You, I, and every other normal person would be okay by getting killed by a feint. However, enough people are not okay with feints that they can pretend as though the majority of people agree with them. (That applies to about everything I listed up there, by the way)
    I’ve talked a bit before about high ranks and their desire for more ranks. The theory is that people that have a lot of XP want more XP than people who are poor. The moves that us low-ranks see is a direct result of high-ranks sacrificing normal play for more XP. “They are justified though, for their excess use of more practice and complaints, because it’s harder to rank up when you get higher.” No.

As for the other questions, I don’t really know.

• 1. Many players in this game consider feinting to be a cheap mechanic, due to the mass majority of people not having enough experience to be able to read them. If you spend the time to become a pro player, you will realise that many feints are readable and these protesters are just ‘filthy casuals’.

2. If you want to speed up a stab, the only thing I can recommend is looking directly at them as the weapon goes into release, allowing it to hit your opponent as soon as the animation begins. If you are closer, you will hit them faster aswell :)

3. I don’t normally sprint mid-fight unless my opponent is back-pedaling hard and I have enough stamina. You don’t recover stamina whilst sprinting and running towards your opponent will give him the advantage a lot of the time (depends really).

4. Vanguard charges are very glitchy, unreliable, inconsistent. If you want to really get into this game you will just have to accept that and try not to use them very often, but if you just play for fun then go ahead. I’d recommend changing your charge key to ‘V’ in the keybinds so you can slash when you want to.

• Basically what Rekrab said.

• I forgot to mention Votes. But those go on my list of things people complain about too much. Entire servers will get outraged if there are 3 votes back to back. If an hud box in the corner of the screen messes you up, you’re a bad player.
    It’s as if an NBA player plays with a bunch of five year olds and starts yelling at them for travelling.

• @Xylvion:

Basically what Rekrab said.

^ also make sure you have good ping

anything under 80 is more or less playable

• @Rekrab:

2. If you want to speed up a stab, the only thing I can recommend is looking directly at them as the weapon goes into release, allowing it to hit your opponent as soon as the animation begins. If you are closer, you will hit them faster aswell :)

Another good advice is to start the stab (be it riposte or regular stab, but works better with riposte) looking to the side of your opponent, and before the windup ends turn yourself back into the enemy. You need better dragging control to do this, but that way it’s an accelerated stab that looks like a delayed stab - and it feels a lot faster than a normal accelerated stab due to the nature of the animation, so people will be less likely to parry them.

If the enemy circles around you while you do so, and you drag the stab well enough, you can even hit your enemy in the back so that he has no chance to parry. If you don’t drag it well enough be sure to sprint a few steps into the direction of where your enemy was before turning around and attacking since he’s probably going to try to take advantage of your miss. If you see his attack while turning, it may be more beneficial to feint the combo into a parry (then if you want to rinse and repeat - riposte stab again, though if you use a slow/long weapon you might want not to riposte at all to regen some stamina)

• @ToLazy4Name:

1. The moonwalking swings and all that crazy looking stuff is called dragging. No one complains (usually) because it adds depth to the game. If you’re familiar with Dark Souls, it’s like how Toggle Escapes added to the depth.

I’m familair with basic drags and all this start-swinging-right-hit-the-guy-on-the-left stuff and don’t have a problem with it, but these crazy breakdance position moves on the ground are too much.

@Rekrab:

4. Vanguard charges are very glitchy, unreliable, inconsistent. If you want to really get into this game you will just have to accept that and try not to use them very often, but if you just play for fun then go ahead. I’d recommend changing your charge key to ‘V’ in the keybinds so you can slash when you want to.

After finding myself sandwiched between multiple oppponents many times after charging I learned to be somewhat decent with it, and didn’t had any technical issues before. I’ll try reinstallling the game.

@MrGrumps:

Another good advice is to start the stab (be it riposte or regular stab, but works better with riposte) looking to the side of your opponent, and before the windup ends turn yourself back into the enemy. You need better dragging control to do this, but that way it’s an accelerated stab that looks like a delayed stab - and it feels a lot faster than a normal accelerated stab due to the nature of the animation, so people will be less likely to parry them.

That’s probably it, I noticed people doing kind of a shoulder-shimmy with these stabs, it looks like a slow-motion windup and then bam, I’m dead. I have to try this.

Some other things that came to my mind:

Is there any good advice on aiming overheads? I usually play the Zweihander as I can control it better because how slow it is and I can sometimes hit overheads, but with any faster weapon I keep slamming the ground.

Due to playing mostly Zweihander, Greatsword or Longsword I struggle with reaching people when I play with shorter weapons. I’m semi-not-that-totally-bad when I have the reach advantege, but playing at reach disadvantage I’m terrible. Is there any good way to close the distance, should I stay passive and wait for an enemy to attack first and then counter or it’s better to be agressive and go at him with combos?

I’m fked when I encounter a decent MAA or even good archer that’s going to spam stabs and facehug. I have no idea how to defend this. I usually refuse to use my secondary weapon, as it would be trying to beat more speed with less speed (and I’m really bad at speed game even when not at disadvantage) so I usually try to get one good hit with Zweihander and hope they’ll go down. Sometimes it works, but I dont know, will my chances be higher with secondary or will it be trying to beat them at their own game?

• @petergriffin:

Is there any good advice on aiming overheads? I usually play the Zweihander as I can control it better because how slow it is and I can sometimes hit overheads, but with any faster weapon I keep slamming the ground.

Are you playing third person? You shouldn’t be hitting the ground at all if you look straight forward, but if you play third person you naturally look slightly towards the ground. Playing in first person gives you better parry accuracy and an easier control over delayed overheads.

Try to look at the animations and tracers (in console: aoc_drawtracer 1) of the overheads. Basically with swords the regular overhead is more accurate if you look to the right of the opponent rather than to the left due to its tracer. If you stretch it a bit, it becomes a delayed overhead (the animation has some sort of hook towards the end of it, so if you look slightly up and plenty right you can drag the attack back to the left once it nears its ending)

Alternate overhead is almost exactly the same, just the direction is left to right instead.

@petergriffin:

Due to playing mostly Zweihander, Greatsword or Longsword I struggle with reaching people when I play with shorter weapons. I’m semi-not-that-totally-bad when I have the reach advantage, but playing at reach disadvantage I’m terrible. Is there any good way to close the distance, should I stay passive and wait for an enemy to attack first and then counter or it’s better to be aggressive and go at him with combos?

Play your range. Try to be at the edge of your opponents range to get him to attack. When he does, if you can - stay out of reach and when the attack passes you, before his attack gets to recovery sprint a few steps into your reach and attack. Experienced players will combo once missed and combo-feint-to-parry if your attack is faster than their combo, so be on the lookout for that. Even more experienced players will feint if they see you’re playing your range so that they won’t miss, and be ready to counter what you’re trying to do.

You can either rinse and repeat for a defensive approach, or once entering your reach area start doing footwork circling the enemy while comboing (think before you perform each combo, it may be more beneficial to queue a parry instead of another combo to avoid hit trades) for an offensive approach.

The offensive approach takes more experience not to die in, and not to waste too much stamina in.
    But if you play defensively, be wary of standing at the very very tip of your opponent’s range. You might not expect it to reach and still get hit.

@petergriffin:

I’m fked when I encounter a decent MAA or even good archer that’s going to spam stabs and facehug. I have no idea how to defend this. I usually refuse to use my secondary weapon, as it would be trying to beat more speed with less speed (and I’m really bad at speed game even when not at disadvantage) so I usually try to get one good hit with Zweihander and hope they’ll go down. Sometimes it works, but I dont know, will my chances be higher with secondary or will it be trying to beat them at their own game?

Your chances will be higher since you have more health than them and with secondaries you have less chance to get flinched by the MAA’s attacks. But if the MAA you’re fighting against is a good dodger, you’ll be better off attacking him out of his range with a longer weapon till he’s out of stamina. Too long or slow of a weapon will usually take way too much stamina if he dodges those attacks successfully, so be careful not to waste your own stamina.

Jesus, someone on this site said that CMW’s advanced combat is so complicated that high ranks can write a thick book on how to play. It seems that he’s right.

• @petergriffin:

What’s so wrong with feints?

Feints have always been controversial. The thing is, there are a lot of players who have never had any issues with feints - mainly those with a ping below 40. Players with a higher ping, like me with 88-92, suffer more from feints as the feints often go past the wind-up animation before bouncing back, because that’s how long it takes before the client registers “oh, it was a feint”. Trust me, this is how it is. I’ve looked very deeply into this issue. That, and I also tested my theory over LAN where feints were so readable it rendered them almost useless.

@petergriffin:

Second thing - how do you drag stabs without looking down? I start a stab with Zweihander, other guy sees it and immediately starts a stab with his Zweihander, hits me first and I’m dead.

I think this might be a good ol’ case of not knowing how to drag properly and trying to drag an opponent with 1000 hours more in the game. That, or gamblers. I also wouldn’t recommend stabdrags with zwei, they’re not as OP as they used to be. The weapon is really slow and 80% of the time people see your drag and know to parry to their side or gamble their way out.

@petergriffin:

Do you sprint all the time when fighting 1 on 1 in FFA?

No, I actually rarely sprint at all. If you sprint, you won’t regenerate health or stamina. If you walk, you’ll regenerate both. And I don’t know why but walking towards my opponent sometimes throws them off and they start panic parrying. I don’t know what they’re afraid of. Maybe it’s my gold helm?

@petergriffin:

If not, when it’s best to sprint in those situations?

Sometimes you can sprint away from your opponent’s attack, but that also depends on what weapon they’re using. For example, you shouldn’t try to sprint away from any stick-weapons, those will hit you in the ass the second you turn your back to it. You can sprint (and jump if needed) away from some attacks though.

I also like to pretend I’m sprinting at my opponent, but before he’s about to attack, I turn around, he misses, and I stab him. It’s a pretty lame tactic but it works, so eh. As MAA, you can also sprint around your enemy and stab their sides/back, but whether that works or not also depends on how good your opponent is. Then again, I still see rank 50s who fall for this shit.

@petergriffin:

Anybody had a similar issue?

Yes, I’ve had this happen to me, usually after I kick someone. It’s just something that happens, I’ve had it happen with a ping above 80 and a ping of around 64… the absolute lowest I can get in this game. I need to change my internet service provider asap lol.

• @petergriffin:

I’ve been playing this game for 2 weeks, I’m probably the worst level 20 ever. 1:1 KDR in FFA is a moderate success for me, when I’m usually around 70%, with games like 35% really not that rare. I was never really that much into games though, my reaction time is terrible, so I’m not mad, this game is fun as fk. And being that much fun, what really cheapens it in my eyes are these moonwalking-lay-on-your-back-swing-heavy-ass-warhammer-in-every-direction moves. Being a huge medieval fan brought me to this game and while I’m not a fan of hyper-realism and replaying medieval swordfight as closely as possible, these moves were a major eyesore for me the first time I played.

So here’s my first question - I see a lot of people doing this with nobody complaining while a lot of people get angry for feinting (not at me, I feinted like 5 times tops, because I’m not coordinated enough). What’s so wrong with feints?

Avoid them until they stam out (you’ll hear them breathing heavy) then go 100% offensive. Do not stop attacking. They will be forced to try and dodge or just take a hit, as blocking you will cause them to be stunned. I feint all day every day except when I’m facing lower ranked players. Every clannie I’ve played with feints. My best advice is to get into a habit of waiting until the last possible moment to parry. You will die a lot practicing this, but with time you’ll get better.

@petergriffin:

Second thing - how do you drag stabs without looking down? I start a stab with Zweihander, other guy sees it and immediately starts a stab with his Zweihander, hits me first and I’m dead. I died mutliple times this way, how is that possible?

I’m not 100% on what exactly is happening here. Are they matrixing (leaning back and crouching)? This can allow them to avoid your stab while starting their windup and getting a hit in while you’re in recovery. There could also be ping issues where it looks like you start your windup first but you actually both start at the same time and hit trade, or he is just a little ahead of you. Need more info.

@petergriffin:

Do you sprint all the time when fighting 1 on 1 in FFA? If not, when it’s best to sprint in those situations? I tried sprinting all the time, but after 2 swings I usually have no idea where I am and where people are and when not sprinting at all I’m an easy target for people passing by or behind me.

Definitely not all the time. Just when I want to get up close, especially if he’s low on stam or hp and back pedaling to recover. That’s the BEST time to press em, but be wary of surprise attacks when you do this. Also use sprint to avoid the dancers previously discussed. You’ll just have to practice and learn when and how to sprint and how it affects your regen.

@petergriffin:

And last question - one area I not suck at is charging at groups of people, that’s where I get a lot of my kills, but since yesterday when I press LMB when charging there’s a lack of animation, and I suddenly appear in weird places, (usually already standing, so after the animation) way further than the charge could possibly take me. Needless to say before I can realize where I am, I take an axe to the head. Anybody had a similar issue?

Sounds like the vanguard charge? That damn thing has always been messed up. For a while vanguards could charge into the stratosphere. It was pretty funny to see.

Anyway, in team games I would completely avoid this unless you’re coming up on an archer and you need that speed boost to finish em off while he tries to get that final close range shot off. You can also look around while you charge (an arguably OP part of the mechanic).

• Thanks everybody for your responses, I tried to incorporate some thigns you mentioned and I think I’m way better now than 3 days ago, even went like 10-9 in duels yesterday, having a provious record of something about 15-60. Such pride.

@MrGrumps:

Are you playing third person? You shouldn’t be hitting the ground at all if you look straight forward, but if you play third person you naturally look slightly towards the ground. Playing in first person gives you better parry accuracy and an easier control over delayed overheads

I play 3rd person, “hitting the ground” was probably a little dramatisation by me, I hit the ground sometimes when looking down, usually I just miss to the side, because those freaking enemies just won’t stand in one place.

@MrGrumps:

Play your range. Try to be at the edge of your opponents range to get him to attack. When he does, if you can - stay out of reach and when the attack passes you, before his attack gets to recovery sprint a few steps into your reach and attack.

That strategy probably got me like 15 kills yesterday, I have no idea why I didn’t figured it out earlier by myself. I was either spamming sprint or not sprinting at all before, waiting for a swing to pass and the sprinting inside works great.

@Jon:

Yes, I’ve had this happen to me, usually after I kick someone. It’s just something that happens, I’ve had it happen with a ping above 80 and a ping of around 64… the absolute lowest I can get in this game. I need to change my internet service provider asap lol.

I usually have ping between 45 and 80, sometimes under 30 at best. Charges are still messed up 80% of the time, but I moved to Billhook or Halberd which have useless stabbing charges, so It’s not a problem for now. Well, “useless” is actually an understatement, as stabbing charges are more of a suicide for me.

@lejosh:

Avoid them until they stam out (you’ll hear them breathing heavy) then go 100% offensive. Do not stop attacking. They will be forced to try and dodge or just take a hit, as blocking you will cause them to be stunned. I feint all day every day except when I’m facing lower ranked players. Every clannie I’ve played with feints. My best advice is to get into a habit of waiting until the last possible moment to parry. You will die a lot practicing this, but with time you’ll get better.

How does stamina exactly work, when I play some bigger weapon like Zweihander or Billhook will I be able to drain stamina out of MAAs with smaller weapons by forcing them to block? The more damage weapon deals, it costs more stamina to block?

@lejosh:

I’m not 100% on what exactly is happening here. Are they matrixing (leaning back and crouching)? This can allow them to avoid your stab while starting their windup and getting a hit in while you’re in recovery. There could also be ping issues where it looks like you start your windup first but you actually both start at the same time and hit trade, or he is just a little ahead of you. Need more info.

They are not matrixing, imagine starting an attack with enemy replying with the same attack split second later and hitting you first. I’m guessing it might be these 90-degree stab accelerations.

• Work on feint to parries as well. My guess is you’ve heard that maybe once, but it’s very important. You said you couldn’t fight maa that well and these will help with that. Think of the feint button as a stop my attack button, not just as a fake attack button. Try feinting, then parrying immediately after. Since you play with the slow zwei, this will allow you do avoid being hit if you don’t think your zwei will land fast enough.

• @petergriffin:

Hey my friend, I believe this is a mix of bad judgement of timing and range from you, and/or good timing/range/footwork of your opponent. One thing I like to do is to fake initiative in fight, its like go running towards your opponent and usually when you get close enough they will start an attack. You just stop running forward and backpedal a bit while winding up your stab.
    This way your opponent miss his stab and you connect yours, works with any other attack too.

Also, to see how to properly drag the stab, you gotta type aoc_drawtracer 1 on the console. Then, stab and drag your mouse left or right, you will see it will looks like a slash. To delay the stab, you hit with the last tracers and you can do that in many ways (personally, I like to aim above my opponents head and drag it down to him. If you go zwei you can delay this and it can be a pain in the ass to parry).

Against faster weapons is what people have said, you gotta feint to parry and combo feint to parry a lot, or you will not have the initiative in fight with the zwei. Its a hard weapon to combo man, everyone will try to hittrade you because of the long windup, so cftp is your friend.

• Play with 144htz monitor and low ping.

• I see my last post is not here, didn’t get by moderation or something? Anyway, long story short, thank you all for all good advice.

Now I have a couple more questions for you kind gentlemen.

What to do against the god damn shields in duels? Against a knight with shield I maybe have a little chance of going from the side if I’m Vanguard, but seeing MAA I can only hope he’s a level 2 or something, because quarter-decent MAA with shield is an instant loss. If he’s bad I would stab him with billhook/greatsword and make him block like six times, then he’s stunned, so I go in and hit him (or not if he’s too far away after the stab, and recovers before I get there, which happens all the time), then repeat. If he uses dodge to the side I might as well press F10. If he’s a facehugger there’s not a problem as I will be dead way before I can think about going around the shield.

All the jumping stabs and overheads, alternate swinging to the left and curved stabs from the right probably never work. I can maybe go around the shield to stab with Vanguard against Knight, but Vanguard-MAA, Knight-Knight or Knight-MAA I am always too slow.

I’ve seen a guy on TO spamming running reverse overhead with GS, getting like 50 kills. He would combo all around the place,every time he got close to somebody finishing with these overheads without even slowing down. He goes at you running from the front, twists, runs away. Is this possible in 1st person? I tried it but looked like a retard pretty much.

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere with weapon’s reach? I’ve only seen the speed/damage one. Could be useful, for example pole hammer seems to look much longer than it really is. I’m constantly misjudging the reach on things.

• @petergriffin:

What to do against the god damn shields in duels? Against a knight with shield I maybe have a little chance of going from the side if I’m Vanguard, but seeing MAA I can only hope he’s a level 2 or something, because quarter-decent MAA with shield is an instant loss. If he’s bad I would stab him with billhook/greatsword and make him block like six times, then he’s stunned, so I go in and hit him (or not if he’s too far away after the stab, and recovers before I get there, which happens all the time), then repeat. If he uses dodge to the side I might as well press F10. If he’s a facehugger there’s not a problem as I will be dead way before I can think about going around the shield.

All the jumping stabs and overheads, alternate swinging to the left and curved stabs from the right probably never work. I can maybe go around the shield to stab with Vanguard against Knight, but Vanguard-MAA, Knight-Knight or Knight-MAA I am always too slow.

Knight with shield are pretty easy to counter imo. Most of them actually, you can find some good player with shields, but it’s uncommon, to say the least. I would say the most effective tactic is the good old kick but it’s so inconsistent, you can’t rely on it… You have the caveman approach (which can be very effective, even against decent players) : you just take a sword, or any weapon with high range and high kick-back in order to prevent riposts from your enemy, and you force him to parry over and over with his shield. If he doesn’t give up the shield, he’s dead.

Another approach is the almighty quarterstaff. This thing is perfect to get around parries AND shields. But you’ll need some time to get good with it, but don’t give up.

And with other weapons, it’s just practise. You’ll learn to know how to delay stabs and overheads to pass the shield.
    You have to be better than your opponent at judging reach, I find it important against shields because even good players can overestimate their weapon’s lenght. And when they do so, you’ll have to see it and cease that breach to attack when they are defenseless.

As for maa’s with shield (or without for that matter), knight/messer is a pretty valid choice. You can easily hit trade the shit out of him, especially when he dodges close to you. One slash and bye bye. With vanguard, brandistock is really great against maa because of lenght/speed ratio. If you don’t like maa’s tendency to facehug you, any spear can keep him at bay if you play it right. And keep in mind they don’t have infinte stamina (close to it though), attack them, let them parry/dodge/attack out of range and you’ll have the advantage.

@petergriffin:

I’ve seen a guy on TO spamming running reverse overhead with GS, getting like 50 kills. He would combo all around the place,every time he got close to somebody finishing with these overheads without even slowing down. He goes at you running from the front, twists, runs away. Is this possible in 1st person? I tried it but looked like a retard pretty much.

Reverse overheads are easier in third person, you see where you land your hit and how you spin around like a ballerina. Much easier when you change your fov to something bigger than 150. When I feel sad, I like to take zwei + 150 fov + third person and look at my pretty boots.

@petergriffin:

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere with weapon’s reach? I’ve only seen the speed/damage one. Could be useful, for example pole hammer seems to look much longer than it really is. I’m constantly misjudging the reach on things.

I think you can forget about weapons reaches. Damage are more or less accurate but reach… You can try 120 fov or 90, it’s the same, you’ll have ghost hits that should have landed on your opponent and other stuff like that. It’s inconsistent by design and it’s worse with latency. Practise will make you more careful.

• Speaking of feints I had the weirdest shit happen to me yesterday. This dude with like 80ish ping kept spamfeinting me, at first there was no problem really. Then all of a sudden he did a tripplefeint, or that’s what I thought, his last feint both started the grunt sound and his animation went into release, then all of a sudden he cancels that attack and does a real attack. This kept happening against him, totally impossible to tell if it’s real or not when he feints a release.