SoW: counter to every sword.

• In reference to duels at the least.

It can two hit vanguards with the stab, and it is lightning fast, so I am just gonna assume it is better than all the vanguard swords. Perhaps zwei has a chance because of reach, but I think it is too slow to truly hold its own.

It is better than the other knight swords. It can 3 hit knight with stabs, but also has incredibly fast OHs if you want to mix it up. LS takes 4 hits and is slightly slower. Messer takes three but its shorter and significantly slower.

I have not looked into MAA swords as much, but it can easily hit trade BS, and should be able to outrange Norse easily. Falchion is no contest.

Long story short, the SoW can force trades extremely easily, because it is very fast and very long, and you might as well force trades because the damage is higher in most cases (or so much faster/longer it will flinch anyway).

This is all coming from someone who usually plays LS knight, or GS vanguard, so I could be wrong on some accounts. Feel free to point out anything I missed.

PS. buff LongSword.

• gets countered hard by maul stam drain duels tho

• @zombojoe:

gets countered hard by maul stam drain duels tho

Usually not a problem if you can use some footwork and try to force flinches
    But if he uses a reverse overhead well enough he can force you to parry and take the drain

• I honestly think this game would be more fun with Sword of War removed. Knights who want the speedy long-range weapon that requires finesse would go to Longsword and actually have to work hard if they want to 2-shot Vanguards. Stab feinting your way to victory as Longsword is way more complicated than with Sword of War because LS’s damage is… unreliable, to say the least. You need to get headshots to attain the optimal 2-hit on Vanguard/3-hit on Knights instead of just muh-one-frame-animationing your way to victory with haphazard stabs. Running out of stamina is a very real danger if you can only crutch on stab feints as a Longsword Knight. SoW and LS both fill the same role except SoW is so much easier and better in practice. /vanguardtears

Since you can’t combo stabs, Messer is still competitive and can outpace the SoW in damage and kills in TO/teamplay. But SoW is the best 1v1 weapon for Knights… unless you can read enough feints from your opponent to stam them out, then Maul is the best Knight vs Knight weapon luls.

• Yeah, SoW is pretty lame. Hopefully it and other superfast ezmode weapons like it don’t make it into Chiv 2 or slasher.

• @Xanith:

Yeah, SoW is pretty lame. Hopefully it and other superfast ezmode weapons like it don’t make it into Chiv 2 or slasher.

slasher?

And yeah I find it kinda pissy how a claymore ganker can hit you with a delayed attack when you’re not paying attention - the speed is literally too fast for you to parry the next attack if accelerated, unless you matrix hard. And if you fail to parry the next attack yet still press right click then he can easily land a third unparriable hit too.

It’s why I don’t have as much respect for people who rely on weapon speed than on their own skills.

• I don’t really know what to think but it’s funny to me that old ls and sow were way more retarded as far as vanguard killing goes but I swear there was less whining about the imbalance s. Take away vg knockback+retarded stam drain and I think knight ls vs vanguard is about as even as it gets in duels. I don’t know how you can keep average htks different and keep van/knight duels fair without certain weapons. Something like halberd or billhook works way better against a sow knight than gr8sword or Zwei does imo, infact, I’d say halberd vs sow isn’t really lopsided because of the ridiculous stam advantage and knockback it has. But at the end of the day, van is a team class and that’s the only place they shine anyway. I mean, they can still get boned by everything in team fights too but when they’re supported properly they’re ok

• @swagfox:

I don’t really know what to think but it’s funny to me that old ls and sow were way more retarded as far as vanguard killing goes but I swear there was less whining about the imbalance s. Take away vg knockback+retarded stam drain and I think knight ls vs vanguard is about as even as it gets in duels. I don’t know how you can keep average htks different and keep van/knight duels fair without certain weapons. Something like halberd or billhook works way better against a sow knight than gr8sword or Zwei does imo, infact, I’d say halberd vs sow isn’t really lopsided because of the ridiculous stam advantage and knockback it has. But at the end of the day, van is a team class and that’s the only place they shine anyway. I mean, they can still get boned by everything in team fights too but when they’re supported properly they’re ok

I agree, the reach and stam drain difference makes up for the speed difference and I love it.

|
    |
    V

• @MrGrumps:

slasher?

http://www.reddit.com/r/theslashering
    Melee game being made by Chiv fans, looks really good so far

• SoW isn’t that fast, at least not compared to LS. LS is also quite dragable unlike SoW. The only thing SoW got is a stronger stab, which is as fast as the LS stab.

• @Xylvion:

The only thing SoW got is a stronger stab, which is as fast as the LS stab.

Which is all that matters because SoW has a reliable and competitive HTK with the stab paired with the unreadable stab feint/speed whereas LS has no reliable attacks. I can often outhittrade LS Knights with Polehammer lulululul. LS stab may be just as fast and unreadable, but its +1 HTK means that you are given an extra chance against it and thus have an extra opportunity to make a mistake/yolo caveman gamble against it. In addition, the Knight has to use more stamina with a heavy kick as a finisher or feinting more than SoW would, or somehow hit you a third time without losing stamina. Or he actually aims and gets headshots on you, really tough if you’re dancing and all and playing supporty like a Vanguard should.

• in TO sow destroys vanguard 24/7 due to the ez 2 htk, but in duels ls seems more dangerous because of its draggability

• @Xylvion:

SoW isn’t that fast, at least not compared to LS. LS is also quite dragable unlike SoW. The only thing SoW got is a stronger stab, which is as fast as the LS stab.

SoW has faster overhead though.

• @FartTender:

In reference to duels at the least.

I am so tired to see people asking for balance between different weapons in duels…

You want real balanced duel? Take same class and weapon as your opponent and that’s it!

I agree LS need a buff, but please do not argue on a duel basis.

• @Kreittis:

SoW has faster overhead though.

yeah but it’s a lot weaker, the LS OH can 1hit archers as well.

• @Xanith:

http://www.reddit.com/r/theslashering
    Melee game being made by Chiv fans, looks really good so far

I never heard of it
    why did I never hear of it
    my life wasted

• you just need to read 1 or 2 feints against sow and then its a freekill because of stamina

• @CRUSHED:

you just need to read 1 or 2 feints against sow and then its a freekill because of stamina

This is the same for every weapon hence its not a weak point

• @TheFunnySide:

This is the same for every weapon hence its not a weak point

Incorrect. Other weapons have better drags which allows for bigger mix ups. High level SoW duelists need to be careful where they feint because they need those to get by a top tier opponent. SoW can’t fall back on drags or some miracle one hit kill attack.

• @CRUSHED:

you just need to read 1 or 2 feints against sow and then its a freekill because of stamina

I suppose you’re right when it comes to playing as a non-LS/SoW Knight. Still lame vs QQguard though. Maybe it’d be a different story if Americans didn’t get 90 ping playing against other Americans and Halberd/Polehammer was being used, I dunno. I heard they’re still unreadable at master race EU 18 ping.