Noob Question About Dragging Legitimacy

• Thanks to this forum I heard all about “dragging”. I’m level 14 and never knew this tactic. I use swings left, right, overhand and thrust, I parry and I (try to) feint. All to little effect - I’ve had a horrible time keeping my kill ratio within reason. I felt it was just my lot in life to suck at this. Based on this thread I went and watched a video about dragging (http://youtu.be/uBXD6UxgPs8) and tried it last night for the first time. For once my kill/death ratio on FFA was over 50%. Wow. In just 15 minutes this game changed for me. I now OWN the bots in offline play and hold my own in online play.

So my question is: is dragging legit? Frowned upon? Respected? Does it depend on the game, or he opponent? All of the above? From what I have read here, I get a mixed sense.

• Legit. Core mechanic. Only no-skills frown upon it.

• Dudeface has it right; Legit and Core. It’s an essential skill.

• Mod

It’s as fundamental and crucial as recoil control in shooters.

• I’m going to put down Legit and Respected even though it’s a core mechanic that everyone should look into.
    The reason being dragging is so dynamic in this game that good draggers can produce the most amazing combos that are almost fun to die to.

• @MrGrumps:

The reason being dragging is so dynamic in this game that good draggers can produce the most amazing combos that are almost fun to die to.

Can agree up to a certain point. I agree with dragging as a game mechanic as much as the next guy, but when I least expect it and get killed by some retard facing away from me, dealing shitloads of damage with the very first frame of a Messer LMB/Overhead, there’s really not a lot of fun involved from my end.

Still though, even when considering some extremes like reverse swings, I too feel like the game doesn’t have a lot going for it without swing control.

• I would say most feel dragging is legit. Mostly low ranks who don’t understand what is happening call it a cheat/exploit.

• @Rickvs:

Can agree up to a certain point. I agree with dragging as a game mechanic as much as the next guy, but when I least expect it and get killed by some retard facing away from me, dealing shitloads of damage with the very first frame of a Messer LMB/Overhead, there’s really not a lot of fun involved from my end.

Still though, even when considering some extremes like reverse swings, I too feel like the game doesn’t have a lot going for it without swing control.

But but…without reverse overhead we wouldn’t have things like this to give us all joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-JWAXjamg

• Way too many options for that poll.
    How about:

-legit
    -not legit

• If it wasn’t legit, TBS wouldn’t advertise it on the store page.

Key Features:

• Deep melee combat system provides players with a huge range of responsive combat options
    • Adjust your attacks and blocks in real time with the mouse for precise and full control of the action

@gndo:

But but…without reverse overhead we wouldn’t have things like this to give us all joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-JWAXjamg

Best video 2015.

• @gndo:

LMAO! Just watched that one a dozen times!

• I only recently learned the term “dragging”, and am surprised that people complain about it. As my skills improved it just came naturally. You strike when and where your opponent is not blocking or parrying. Isn’t that what swordsmanship is all about?

• Dragging is legit, unless you use Messer. Then you’re a dishonorable fool. Because it desyncs.

• Dragging and feinting are a part of the game and the sooner you drop all pretenses of “honor” and just do what it takes to kill your opponent, the sooner you’ll get good.

• Legit, but remember; “With great power comes great responsibility”.
    For every drag and combo that you continue, the de-sync will rise up and up until all swing animations break and ghost swings are rampant.

Will you be prepared for the back-lash? the hate? Will you be responsible for your own actions and ultimately… your own demise?

• Legit, but the real question is: Backwards/reverse attacks, are they legit or not? I very much doubt that Torn Banner purposely implemented those.

• It’s legit, core skill. Feinting too.

You will see people complain about it, nobody likes completely unfair bullshit. But you have to do it.

Personally I think reverse overhead is OP and stupid. You get your hardest hitting ability to hit far faster than designed.

Something like overheads should do very little damage until near the end of release phase, whereas stabs and slashes should do very very little damage at the end of release phase.

Imagine taking a 6 foot sword or whatever, swinging it at arms length as slow as possible, and when you’ve swung it around 180 degrees super super super slowly, you try to kill a person with it…

Or pick up a sledge hammer, draw it way back behind your head and start to swing it, picture how little damage it does when you first start to bring it down, but how much you have at the end.

• Can’t say I appreciate drags but fights would be boring without. I’d just disarm them: getting rid of a) reverse overheads and b) ridiculous slowmotion swings.

• @Rinimand:

Based on this thread I went and watched a video about dragging (http://youtu.be/uBXD6UxgPs8) and tried it last night for the first time. I now OWN the bots in offline play.

I don’t think you need to drag against bots - they are not that smart.

• @Loaf:

Legit, but the real question is: Backwards/reverse attacks, are they legit or not? I very much doubt that Torn Banner purposely implemented those.

Of course, it spices up combat and not really hard to deal with.