Input Problems

• So I’m noticing, not even rarely, some input problems, like the game simply ignores the keys I press or starts them too late. It’s only in Chivalry like this though, so the problem is not my keyboard or mouse.
    I’m someone who holds down the buttons instead of mashing them repeatedly, could this be a problem?

• I’m fairly certain everyone has that from time to time.
    Could be worth it to record a video for yourself, slow it down and double check if the game’s actually responding at all or whatever action you performed didn’t do its job (like parrying not blocking attacks).

I did the same a while ago and found that due to lag/packet loss/whatever attacks were constantly going through the first frame of my parry animation.

Other than that yes, I get unresponsive input all the time, mostly mouse rotation related though. Kinda sucks since my main weapon used to be Dubaxe and all it actually performs decently at is dragging.

• @Rickvs:

I’m fairly certain everyone has that from time to time.
    Could be worth it to record a video for yourself, slow it down and double check if the game’s actually responding at all or whatever action you performed didn’t do its job (like parrying not blocking attacks).

I did the same a while ago and found that due to lag/packet loss/whatever attacks were constantly going through the first frame of my parry animation.

I’m not talking about attacks glitching through but simply the game not doing what I pressed. (Also mouse rotation, yes)
    I’ve found some programs which show the keys you’re pressing, sadly I’ve yet no method to record them simultaneously to the game footage, so I could check if I’m just mistaken.

• I have had that problem since day one. Some of it lies with the delays / cool downs after attacks. I am one who doesn’t really combo all that much because I like to have my attacks on demand and it throws people off who are used to fighting combo spammers. So that is why there are some horrible delays and when you miss or ghost swing, it drains your stamina as well as not raise a parry or attack on demand. But there are many times all I want to do is move out of the way and I press a movement key and …… nothing I am stuck boom, dead.

• l@INerevar:

I’m not talking about attacks glitching through but simply the game not doing what I pressed. (Also mouse rotation, yes)
    I’ve found some programs which show the keys you’re pressing, sadly I’ve yet no method to record them simultaneously to the game footage, so I could check if I’m just mistaken.

use OBS with different screen regions

• I get that same problem quite often. It happens with all my attacks and block. I click the button and nothing happens, or sometimes it happens about 2 seconds later. This makes for quite a frustrating experience when you get hit because parry just doesn’t execute, or you’re on a roll with a good combo and just stop, then your opponent kills you.

• I have been playing with the INI settings in button delay times but I fear that if I push it too far that the attack/parry/recovery times make the tweaks irrelevant.

• @INerevar:

So I’m noticing, not even rarely, some input problems, like the game simply ignores the keys I press or starts them too late. It’s only in Chivalry like this though, so the problem is not my keyboard or mouse.
    I’m someone who holds down the buttons instead of mashing them repeatedly, could this be a problem?

Are you SURE it’s not your keyboard though? When I swapped to a shitty random keyboard, I found that I couldn’t press W and A, crouch and kick for example. Or sprint diagonally, and then crouch. Basically any kind of 4-button+ combination where the keys needed to be held down, and it was simply that the keyboard couldn’t send all the inputs simultaneously I guess? My Razer keyboard has no such limitation on complex inputs, but that could definitely be the problem if you haven’t tested a higher quality keyboard.

• Can someone just try this:

While running around with a shield click RMB shortly and then hold it. (Press, Press + Hold)
    If I do this, my character simply ignores the “Press + Hold” and drops his shield although I’m still holding the button.
    When I’m not holding shift/running this doesn’t happen and he properly holds up his shield again.

• Sometimes my character holds the shield up when I’m not pressing the button.

• @Xylvion:

Sometimes my character holds the shield up when I’m not pressing the button.

Cftp/ftp/combo parry does that.

• It’s been happeneing to me alot more lately. AND my mouse is about to shit the bed, so sometimes it just stops working or goes really slow. Been gettin me killed alot the past week. Think it’s time to get a mouse that doesn’t come with your PC, huh?

• @KingWillie:

It’s been happeneing to me alot more lately. AND my mouse is about to shit the bed, so sometimes it just stops working or goes really slow. Been gettin me killed alot the past week. Think it’s time to get a mouse that doesn’t come with your PC, huh?

My mouse from 1999 still works.

• Yes. Game will straight up ignore input because game is dumb. Performing single strikes when I’m clearly inputting the keystroke for the next attack is just fantastic! It makes the game so much harder to play, and much tougher to master, when random shit happens at random intervals during gameplay.

The game will also queue input from 1-2 seconds ago. Usually happens when struck in the middle of doing something else, or being hit multiple consecutive times.

And chivalry’s master troll stroke is that these events always seem to happen when it’s a detriment to you, because at times, you might actually WANT these things to happen, or at least be able to execute them on purpose.

• I get similar issues, just add this to the pile of other stuff that’ll be painted over and ignored. Sometimes I turn the mouse to drag a swing and it just won’t respond properly, almost goes slower than usual. Some swings just don’t happen and I stand their like a dick head. Game is still in beta imo.

• @Tyoson:

I get similar issues, just add this to the pile of other stuff that’ll be painted over and ignored. Sometimes I turn the mouse to drag a swing and it just won’t respond properly, almost goes slower than usual. Some swings just don’t happen and I stand their like a dick head. Game is still in beta imo.

I notice this also. As well as the turncap going bonkers.

@INerevar:

Can someone just try this:

While running around with a shield click RMB shortly and then hold it. (Press, Press + Hold)
    If I do this, my character simply ignores the “Press + Hold” and drops his shield although I’m still holding the button.
    When I’m not holding shift/running this doesn’t happen and he properly holds up his shield again.

Has anyone tried this?

• @H:

Yes. Game will straight up ignore input because game is dumb. Performing single strikes when I’m clearly inputting the keystroke for the next attack is just fantastic! It makes the game so much harder to play, and much tougher to master, when random shit happens at random intervals during gameplay.

The game will also queue input from 1-2 seconds ago. Usually happens when struck in the middle of doing something else, or being hit multiple consecutive times.

And chivalry’s master troll stroke is that these events always seem to happen when it’s a detriment to you, because at times, you might actually WANT these things to happen, or at least be able to execute them on purpose.

^ THIS

@Tyoson:

I get similar issues, just add this to the pile of other stuff that’ll be painted over and ignored. Sometimes I turn the mouse to drag a swing and it just won’t respond properly, almost goes slower than usual. Some swings just don’t happen and I stand their like a dick head. Game is still in beta imo.

^ and THIS.

They even happen in combo fail. So I want to do an OH and turn it into the player to the side of me, the attack doesn’t happen then when it does and I try and drag that OH, it just stops and I cannot move. FTW!