CMW Current State - Lets Discuss

• So once in a while I do a step back and look at where we are with CMW. Usually it consists of berating TBS for lack of communication, outstanding bugs, etc.

But now looking at the big picture, I am suitably impressed.

While sure some picky basement types are complaining about some issues - usually they say balance but provide no information, or pick something that other competitive players disagree with.

So overall balance is pretty good. Perhaps there are a few underwhelming weapons (flail etc) but in general balance is good enough for anyone that is less than a full time professional. You can niche into a weapon. And yeah yeah everyone hates archers but they are not a problem unless they are really good - in which case they are overpowered but fortunately there are few really good archers.

TO MAPS - my complaint in the past - well we have a lot now, and more in the pipeline. Sure they could do with some tweaks and hopefully those will come but we have a solid variety now so I am quite happy.

What impressed me most was the Crypt Halloween map, from one of TBS test servers they said it was mostly one developer - damn that was a lot of fun hours for one developer.

So what next, personally I am good for a year with what we have as I generally play casually but regularly. I am excited for CMW 2 - no doubt all the experience they have had plus a large and good (young) development team will create something unique and sell perhaps 5 million copies this time.

Hopefully I will be chosen as a early access tester this time instead of Lemon (I mean look at what happened to DW).

Loving TBS, even loving lemon.

Love

Greg

PS CMW2 - hot girl avatar skimpily clad would sell 10 million copies - look to your market…

• interesting thoughts.

I see chivalry as a fun game, balanced for the MOST part with some exceptions, and some mechanical issues that are plaguing the battlefield.

Archers are not balanced. Too easy, too much ammo, too much damage, too much projectile speed. If anyone thinks archers are balanced and have used the regular crossbow, they are trolling everyone because that thing… is NOT balanced - k? Furthermore, their melee is far superior to any other classes melee in offense. On the defensive end, still great but they lack armor. That is the only thing separating them from being the best melee class, armor.

to expand on archers in a mechanical sense - they’re supposed to NOT flinch anymore at least with arrows/bolts. Well, unfortunately unfortunately unfortunately… they still do. IF their arrows keep my parry from occurring OR they keep my attack from doing damage after being hit… well i don’t know about you guys - but I call that a FLINCH. Happens all the time.

The maul is not balanced (maybe if hit trades weren’t so prevalent and you could actually flinch one… but in current state of hit trade meta they are not) They seem to also have the range of damn near a longsword, it’s apparnetly longer than a sword of war so you tell me. The accel speed is still faster than any formidable weapons made to hope to counter it. And even backswings hit you when the weapon doesn’t seem to even touch you. So they have range, speed, drags, 1 hit kills, hit trade superiority… what’s the downside again? You can’t take on daggars and fast weapons as easily all the time, damn neither do any of the other “slow” weapons.

leads me to: hit trades. Far too prevalent and happen even if you do hit in windup a lot of the time. Too much thought process removed from the game.

AND

with hit trades being said… AIM PUNCH or whatever people want to call it in the chivtionary. If hit trades are the meta, hit trades contantly are given some kind of internal referee call where one person’s doesn’t do damage becuase the tracer gets knocked into the abyss… so hit trades are a problem, and now that they exist so much… aim punch is a problem.

Kicks… could you be on more level ground and in their face and still have your foot phase through? i mean… come on now? Kick is a viable tactic, especially when backed into a corner against more than one opponent, i remember being able to drag my kick into both of them free-ing me from my cagelike death prison and be able to actually offensively combat again. Kicks phasing through people is an issue, you could be standing on a small pebble and that’s enough elevation to throw it out.

Backswings… jesus christ i mean i know tracer system is part of the mechanics but for fucks sake does every douchebag have to run around spinning in circles? (more of a rant than an actual mechanical or balance issue)

charge attacks - why is this inconsistent cancer plague still in the game? Every loose cannon vanguard is charging into every engagement, out of spawns, off of hilltops, over the river and through the woods to grandma’s house. At least make the thing consistent in distance and do something about turncap of 360 degrees. Don’t allow these shitbags to fly past me 10 feet only to whip back around 15 feet curling a big zweihander doing 50-100% damage. This should be a total risk reward move and not something rewarded or unpunished for being able to sprint consecutively for 6 seconds or w/e the hell it is.

stamina drain - i don’t really ahve a solution but it’s pretty lame. reduce stam drain for parrying. Put more emphasis on on missed swings and feinting and dodging. Hell you cftp a maul weilder one time and you’re out of stamina in the next hit, yet they can miss about 4-5 swings and still land that 1 hitta baby killa.

chase mechanic - well, I DID want a better chase mechanic but we got it in the wrong way. Should kick in faster than it used to and give you more speed. What we got - kicks in at about the same timeframe and then you’re going mach 5. Chase mech should kick in faster if not as soon as they give you their back, BUT not be as fast as it currently is… nor should it kick in randomly if looking at someone across the map allowing you to rush some guy right in front of you like an angry squirrel.

flinch being shorter than recovery time : soooooo… hitting people takes longer than getting hit amirite? wow bro you okay you just got hit in the face with a hammer! no problem check your gut i’m in there already.

so to recap

archers
    flinch
    hit trades
    maul
    aim punch
    kicks
    backswings
    stamina drain
    chase mech
    flinch time vs. recovery time + just flinch time in general.

Santa hats are sweet though.

• “Their melee is superior”.

Bullshit lol. Archers are not the best class in melee. You hate archers, we get it but your suggestions aren’t balance. Lets nerf feints because a bunch of people hate them. And why not drags while we’re at it.

Just because you dislike something doesn’t mean its unbalanced.

The fact 3rd person exists is also the cause of half your problems.

• Lemon: “HUE let me address one of your many points and state some bullshit because i suck at every class and don’t know how to play because i type on forums more than play the actual game HUE”.

the only reason their melee is considered by you to NOT be superior is their armor value. Give them the same armor as knights and tell me that you won’t crush the other opponents in pure archer melee alone. if you cannot, i don’t think you know how to melee at all.

just so you know, you’re not the only one that can play archer. Do you think i spent 3000+ hours playing knight alone? Yes it’s my main and strongest class. You think i don’t play fucking archer in all that time and still don’t currently use archer plenty? Because i do moron. You’re not the only idiot that can aim a crosshair and hit shit with arrows. However, you probably can’t melee very well based on your shit opinion theorycrafted reading this forum all day.

3rd person existing is part of which problem?

I don’t think it’s unbalanced because i dislike it… i’ve proven it to myself through use and toil of being against it in game lemon.

Mr. Lemon, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on the forums is now dumber for having read it. I award you 1 extra post in your chivalry forum profile, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• reward archers who actually know how to aim - nerf bodyshot, buff headshot

• headshots have always been a huge gamble against moving targets

just make archers an easier target than melee and all the archer problems will be gone

and revert warbow dmg ;P

• @Stael:

reward archers who actually know how to aim - nerf bodyshot, buff headshot

Yes, this. +1

• VG charge is almost enough to make me quit. This stupid thing singlehandedly ruins pubs.

• I think the biggest archer issue is projectile speed. Even at distance you can’t react to an arrow in the air like you can in Age of Chivalry. Or Mount and Blade: Warband for that matter.

• sprint attack should be flinchable imo. make it high risk/high reward, it’s not currently. maybe give VG that combo bonus that is in the code, although they don’t really need it.

• @50ShadesofClay:

Mr. Lemon, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on the forums is now dumber for having read it. I award you 1 extra post in your chivalry forum profile, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Lemon please do not pollute my threads with your yellow drivel, you just piss everyone off. Clay great post btw, good summary of the competitive issues. I wish I could be OP with the maul but for whatever reason I cant seem to do what Spook does, but yeah kicks and other things are annoying.

• I completely agree with everything said here. Archers are annoying in the hands of atrocious players, op in the hands of average players and absolutely game-breaking in the hands of good/skilled players.

• 100% agreed with Clay, although you left out MAA ability to dodge out when they panic parry your feint, wait for your follow up swing, then dodge back in before you can parry. This could just be an annoyance, but ultimately feels unfair to me because there is no punishment for MAA panic parry so long as they have enough stam to dodge out.

• @50ShadesofClay:

sounds familiar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0RoJz7Tno

• @50ShadesofClay:

Lemon: “HUE let me address one of your many points and state some bullshit because i suck at every class and don’t know how to play because i type on forums more than play the actual game HUE”.

the only reason their melee is considered by you to NOT be superior is their armor value. Give them the same armor as knights and tell me that you won’t crush the other opponents in pure archer melee alone. if you cannot, i don’t think you know how to melee at all.

just so you know, you’re not the only one that can play archer. Do you think i spent 3000+ hours playing knight alone? Yes it’s my main and strongest class. You think i don’t play fucking archer in all that time and still don’t currently use archer plenty? Because i do moron. You’re not the only idiot that can aim a crosshair and hit shit with arrows. However, you probably can’t melee very well based on your shit opinion theorycrafted reading this forum all day.

3rd person existing is part of which problem?

I don’t think it’s unbalanced because i dislike it… i’ve proven it to myself through use and toil of being against it in game lemon.

So why don’t we see MAA and vanguards running around with short swords and cudgels? If archer melee is so superior? Its the only weapons they have.

Your 360 charge and running around in circles issues are there because of 3rd person. They can see behind themselves and its much easier to drag.

You call my posts stupid lol. Look at what you are saying. If what you say is true then yes MAA and vanguards would use the archer weapons lol.

Reverting warbow damage would also solve your problems. But you are too blind to see that.

• I know it’s crazy, but lemon’s telling the truth.

• @Xylvion:

I know it’s crazy, but lemon’s telling the truth.

It’s a christmas miracle!

To be fair, shortsword is one of the best weapons in the game if you have the move speed and skill to use it properly. Can be pretty scary when you’ve already been tagged with an arrow too.

• @Stael:

reward archers who actually know how to aim - nerf bodyshot, buff headshot

Are you crazy? Did you forget you can control your whole upper body using your mouse? Good luck getting a headshot on someone who’s headbanging as if he was on metallica concert.

Currently chase mech is the biggest cancer. Why even have different class speeds? Maybe they should try a chase mech in TF2?

• @lemonater47:

Reverting warbow damage would also solve your problems. But you are too blind to see that.

I hope you mean revert only the warbow broadhead dammage back to 100?

• Hit trades are still stupid though. Chiv needs:
    First hit flinch.
    Health regen not halted when standing still.
    Sprint lockout removed.
    all vanguard charges need to be overhead strikes.