It seems as if when I press RMB, there's a delay before the parry animation comes up.

• When fighting with norse swords, I always wait for the animation to come up instead of immediately pressing RMB. It seems like I can always see if they’re going to riposte or not, but sometimes their ripostes hit me even though I’ve pressed the parry button. Here’s the order that it happens in.

1. See the person in windup
    2. Press RMB.
    3. sword goes into release while inside my body
    4. screen shows the animation whenever you’re hit.

That’s at least what it seems like to me. Back before I took a break I had no problem with the norse besides the reverse overhead riposte but I honestly don’t know what I did.

This happens even with pings of 30-60. If someone has had this same problem and they fixed it then I would like to know the secret, even if that secret is to just keep practicing. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add that this also happens with feints as well. It seems as though I can read the feint and parry at just the last second, but it still hits me.

• the animation doesn’t matter, it should parry instantly whether the animation comes up or not. aim and timing man.

• @50ShadesofClay:

the animation doesn’t matter, it should parry instantly whether the animation comes up or not. aim and timing man.

What I’m saying is that the parry doesn’t seem to come up immediately. I shouldn’t of referred to it as an animation.

• Keep in mind latency.

• @Fart:

What I’m saying is that the parry doesn’t seem to come up immediately. I shouldn’t of referred to it as an animation.

You can check for a delay on your side using ShowDebug. When you parry, your WepState should change to ParryRelease immediately. If there appears to be no delay on your side, unfortunately it’ll be latency as already said.

If your WepState isn’t changing as soon as you parry, you may have some input delay.

• “4. screen shows the animation whenever you’re hit.”

I don’t understand what this means.

• Sounds like Vsync, man. No really, it’s an evil thing.

Other than that, I got the same thing from time to time and haven’t figured it out yet. Probably parrying too late/lag.

• @Naleaus:

You can check for a delay on your side using ShowDebug. When you parry, your WepState should change to ParryRelease immediately. If there appears to be no delay on your side, unfortunately it’ll be latency as already said.

If your WepState isn’t changing as soon as you parry, you may have some input delay.

Thank you, I will definitely check this out when I load up chivalry.

• @lemonater47:

Keep in mind latency.

This is the real evil behind everything.

• @Daiyuki:

“4. screen shows the animation whenever you’re hit.”

I don’t understand what this means.

it would be a parry-trade but you got aimpunched out of it.

• My “favourite” moments are when I parry well enough to see and hear the feedback of the parry (enemy weapon vibration + cling sound) and still take damage.

• @MrGrumps:

My “favourite” moments are when I parry well enough to see and hear the feedback of the parry (enemy weapon vibration + cling sound) and still take damage.

yeah happens a lot around 75-80+ ping from what I’ve noticed. Had it happen to me yesterday, I parried with shortsword, started a riposte, then I died because the same dude somehow hit me.

• @Xylvion:

yeah happens a lot around 75-80+ ping from what I’ve noticed. Had it happen to me yesterday, I parried with shortsword, started a riposte, then I died because the same dude somehow hit me.

Imagine what it’s like to be me, who has that ping all. the. time.

• @MrGrumps:

But you use halberdouche which makes up for it.

• @MrGrumps:

I can imagine, I’ve lived it for nearly 1600 hours. 1600 hours with a ping that never drops below 72, and is at 88-96 most of the time. Parrying with a high ping is so inconsistent it’s not even funny. I tried some dueling yesterday with my magnificent 84 ping and was immediately reminded why I was convinced I was done with this game at one point. I can’t enjoy the game to its full extent with my ping. When dueling against lowpingers, all of their attacks go through my parry, regardless of where I aimed it. And with 1600 hours, I can assure you I’ve perfected my timing and aiming when it comes to parrying so it’s clearly a ping issue.

I’m looking into fixing my internet sometime in 2015 so I could get a lower ping. I’m hoping replacing my router would solve the issue because my family isn’t exactly keen on changing to a shittier internet service provider just so I can get a lower ping in games, keeping in mind our current service provider offers 100mb/s download speed.