I did it - oh yeah

• Come to Daddy

| Alienware 17 | Alienware 17
    | [210-ACKC]
    |
    | Operating System | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, English
    | [421-5813]
    |
    | Memory | 16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
    | [370-AANG]
    |
    | Keyboard | English Keyboard
    | [580-ABEG]
    |
    | Video Card | NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M graphics with 2GB total GDDR5
    | [490-BBRS]
    |
    | Driver | Wireless Driver
    | [555-BCCI]
    |
    | Hard Drive | 256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s- NV
    | [401-AAIP]
    |
    | CD ROM/DVD ROM | Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (9.5mm)
    | [429-AANM]
    |
    | Wireless | 802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
    | [555-BBPU]
    |
    | Cable | US 110V Power Cord
    | [470-AAKE]
    |
    | Documentation/Disks | Documentation, English
    | [340-ABEU]
    |
    | Service | 1 Year Alienware Basic Support
    | [950-9797]
    [954-4175]
    [954-4207]
    [994-3730]
    |
    | Systems Management | Alienware Command Center 3.0
    | [640-BBLC]
    |
    | Resource DVD | Resource DVD Windows 7_8
    | [658-BBNS]
    |
    | Placemat | Setup Instructions English
    | [340-ADEV]
    |
    | Retail Software | Dell.com Order
    | [332-1530]
    |
    | Primary Battery | 8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)
    | [451-BBCB]
    |
    | Processor | Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    | [338-BETQ]
    |
    | Packing Label/UPC Label | Dell.com Order
    | [332-1530]
    |
    | Color/Bezels | Silver-Anodized Aluminum
    | [354-BBBC]
    |
    | Shipping Material | Shipping Material,3D
    | [340-ADEN]
    |
    | FGA Module | NO FGA
    | [340-ACQQ]
    |
    | Additional Settings | Dropbox, Digital Delivery, 20GB for 1 Year Promotion
    | [525-0016]
    |
    | Labels | Windows 7 OS Label
    | [389-BCCZ]
    |
    | LCD | 17.3" 120Hz WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife Display w/3D Bundle
    | [391-BBEI]
    |
    | Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) | Microsoft® Office Trial
    | [630-AAAU]
    |
    | Additional Software | Additional Software
    | [658-BCCM]
    [658-BCHO]
    |
    | McAfee Live Safe | No Anti-virus Requested
    | [817-BBBP]
    |
    | AC Adapter | Alienware 180W AC Adapter
    | [450-AAGU]
    |
    | Operating System Recovery Options | Windows 7 Recovery Disk included
    | [340-ACQQ[/SIZE]

|

• Yay for Windows 7

• Sweet. Pricey, but sweet.

• “Starting at $lifetime savings”

Well its actually not too bad comparing it to other gaming laptops and considering it’s Alienware. Better than its $10,000 desktops. Slow hard drive and you probably could of scored a better graphics card somewhere else at that price.

• @lemonater47:

“Starting at $lifetime savings”

Well its actually not too bad comparing it to other gaming laptops and considering it’s Alienware. Better than its $10,000 desktops. Slow hard drive and you probably could of scored a better graphics card somewhere else at that price.

boot and C: drive is SSD, I suppose you had a faster drive in mind…

• @gregcau:

boot and C: drive is SSD, I suppose you had a faster drive in mind…

Yeah but its only 256GB. I can’t store all my games on my 256GB SSD my steam folder alone is 350GB with 56 games installed. Half the space is taken up by the OS on the SSD. Boots fast. But loading times for games won’t be great. Unless you cycle them on and off onto your SSD. That 5400RPM drive. That’s where most of you’re stuff’ll be.

• Tbh op that is a nice computer. The specs are very good indeed imo. Ignore number #6 who tends to rush out of
    some dark cave every time a computer is mentioned just to run it down in some way as usual. Look after that fine
    device op.

• You know everyone’s thinking the same thing. Even you.

• thats a nice paper weight

• Price ain’t to bad. I came out at $1553.67 finding all the parts. Though I had to hunt down what his CPU probably was my first guess would of put the price at $2000, guess the price for an 860m and couldn’t for the life of me find a brand new 5400RPM drive for sale lol. And it was difficult finding a 17.3 inch screen at 120Hz. Not to mention guessing a keyboard and motherboard. I did include Bluetooth and wireless though in the case. And they were nice parts. Corsair vengeance Ram, Seagate SSD, Asus motherboard…

So not too bad.

• @lemonater47:

Price ain’t to bad. I came out at $1553.67 finding all the parts. Though I had to hunt down what his CPU probably was my first guess would of put the price at $2000, guess the price for an 860m and couldn’t for the life of me find a brand new 5400RPM drive for sale lol. And it was difficult finding a 17.3 inch screen at 120Hz. Not to mention guessing a keyboard and motherboard. I did include Bluetooth and wireless though in the case. And they were nice parts. Corsair vengeance Ram, Seagate SSD, Asus motherboard…

So not too bad.

ok build it for me and I will buy it… oh wait not so easy huh…

but you are right I am not happy with the 5400 RPM secondary drive as its main use is business and software development.

So I cancelled my order, back to square one. Maybe I can find a business laptop which I can swap in a good graphics card.

• Get an MSI laptop from Tigerdirect.com. The GS70 or GT72 are what you want. They have sales all the time
    Example - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8922211&CatId=2814

Alternately the ASUS ROG laptops at Newegg.com also have good sales but MSI is more aggressive right now.

• @BillDoor:

Get an MSI laptop from Tigerdirect.com. The GS70 or GT72 are what you want. They have sales all the time
    Example - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8922211&CatId=2814

Alternately the ASUS ROG laptops at Newegg.com also have good sales but MSI is more aggressive right now.

But are these all preconfigured? My basic specs are

fast processor
    good graphics card
    windows 7
    SSD for C: drive, 7200 RPM for secondary (1TB is fine)
    17" screen
    not too heavy
    not too loud
    good battery

not much more requirements but this preconfigured stuff always seems to fail on one requirement.

my current laptop has all that - just missing the good graphics card.

• Yes, these are just fine. There are numerous preconfigured setups to choose from on the TD site and you can get one with an SSD and a 7200 K drives both in it. I bought one last christmas for my wife and my uncle got one just a few days ago. The screens are gorgeous, the keyboards hold up to Chivalry and they have superior cooling designs with minimal noise. In fact, they have a button for changing the fan speed as needed.

If you ‘configure’ one for yourself at any of the big name dealers you are paying for the name with lowball parts. Alienware (cough, cough DELL) in particular is a ripoff. Trust me, MSI is the way to go right now.
    You can always downgrade to Win 7.

Check this one
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9515528&CatId=17

• MSI laptops are generally pretty poor. Yeah the specs are ok, but with worse build quality and laughable battery life.

• @dudeface:

MSI laptops are generally pretty poor. Yeah the specs are ok, but with worse build quality and laughable battery life.

6-cell battery. Hmm its a pity Dell used to be able to build you anything you want but they seem to have backed off to standard builds. I called their sales team and they could not even swap out that one hard drive.

• The only Dell laptop I ever owned was a Precision workstation and it was pretty great. But they’re a bit pricey.

• Don’t buy a POS Dell. And don’t listen to dudeface. I actually own the laptop and it’s great. Never had a problem with battery life but you can buy a 9-cell battery replacement. Whatever, spend twice as much for the same or lesser components. Or get the Asus ROG laptop from Newegg.

• I used to have a precision, I looked online at them again - and damn again you cant customize the hard drive choices - wtf. Nor can you change the graphics card. Used to have more flexibility 5 years ago.

• I got mine back in 2007 or something, and every single part was customizable. They’ve gone rather downhill in that area. And god, how they managed to make their (limited) customization site a pain in the ass to use.