Headset problem - Turtle Beach Z60

• Hello, I’m here trying to help a friend of mine who has just bought and headset and apparently has some sort of popping/crackling sounds while playing, which is making him stop playing because it’s unbearable and I’m quiet sad :(

his headset is called as the title says Turtle Beach Z60.

The headset seem to work just fine with any game, and he can’t refund it because of reasons.

Is there any way to fix this?

So far he’s tried to:

• reinstall chiv
    • change the default audio

One thing he noticed: (copy pasterino) “when the sound occurs when i join a server, i look at the mixer and it says no sound is outputting from chivalry so i mute chivalry and the sound stops
    Notrub: when the sound happens it cancels all other sound” :chargrined:

Plz help

• Up, plz devs send a signal

• Has he tried any other headsets/speakers?

• @AmishInsurgent:

Has he tried any other headsets/speakers?

Yes, it’s only the new headset which has problems apprently.

• @Fafnir:

Yes, it’s only the new headset which has problems apprently.

Interesting. Based off google it has a removable usb sound card correct? What if he removes the sound card and plugs the headset in with the 3.5mm jack?

• @AmishInsurgent:

Interesting. Based off google it has a removable usb sound card correct? What if he removes the sound card and plugs the headset in with the 3.5mm jack?

He’s got the USB version apparently, no 3.5mm jack. :\

• has he tried contacting Turtle Beach support also?

• @LongSun:

has he tried contacting Turtle Beach support also?

No not yet, he thought that since it was just chivalry having this kind of problems it could have been related to it in some ways. I’ll tell him to contact Turtle Beach support.

In the meanwhile any suggestions on what could cause this problem?

• maybe there’s some conflict with Chiv or somewhere else in the system and the 7.1 surround sound.

this thread is about different headphones/game but there might be some useful info there

http://steamcommunity.com/app/91310/discussions/0/828925216535994327/

• @LongSun:

maybe there’s some conflict with Chiv or somewhere else in the system and the 7.1 surround sound.

this thread is about different headphones but there might be some useful info there

http://steamcommunity.com/app/91310/discussions/0/828925216535994327/

–----QUOTE BY THE POST-------- (page 2)

Trouble with this game you can change something in the audio settings restart it and the problem seems to be fixed restart the game again and the problem will be back.

The 7.1 / USB audio problem in this game is intermitant and nothing you can do will fix it 100% as it is infact the game sometimes you just get lucky.

it will never be fixed untill the Dev’s patch it unfortunatly that will mostlikely never happen as they have known about it scince launch, and they have Riptide to fix now lol.

Using the older drivers seems to have more luck getting the sound working more often but again it still fails sometimes also you may play for hours and it be fine then bam it will screach and wail at you.

Does this mean devs will never fix it? :disgust:

I’ve highlighted two of the fixes in that post and told my friend to try it, i’ll let you know if it works! ;)

• I have been having a similar problem with chivalry. Although I do not use that specific headset I do use a usb audio interface. At the start of the play session its fine but in the later rounds it starts to get worse and worse. Long TO games are the worst and at the end of each of these games the crackle becomes unbearable and I usually just quit the game. I have been having this problem with 2 completly different systems. One consisted of an i7 920 a ati 5870 and windows 7 64 bit the other my current system consists of a i5 4670k a gtx 780 and windows 8.1 64 bit. Still havent found a solution.
    Things I have done:
    Reinstalled the full game
    Trying to get the game to work with openAL instead of xaudio2 by means of ini tweaking no succes :(
    Adjusting sound settings
    Reinstalling steam
    Just using analog output (though I did not disable my usb device)
    virus/spyware scanning
    bios flashing
    driver updating
    Some other weird stuff

The crackle seems more like its cutting out the audio midstream so you hear the start of a voice and it will just cut-off.
    I also dont get why there arent more threads about this problem and worst of all no good solution.

• @Trip:

I also dont get why there arent more threads about this problem and worst of all no good solution.

Probably because it’s not very common?

What is the sample rate set at for your audio devices? Try lowering it if it is above 16bit 44.1khz (just as a test).

• What is the sample rate set at for your audio devices? Try lowering it if it is above 16bit 44.1khz (just as a test).

I already tried that once and I tried it again but it doesnt work, same crackling after a while. My sample rate is normally 24bit/96khz.

• Hey guys
    THIS SOLUTION:

I did have the same issue and I tried all the fixes listed in here and some other forums.
    Neither of them worked for my machine, but I DID find a workaround.
    Here is what you have to do:

1. Download Virtual Audio Cable from the trusted source of your choice and install the program.
    2. When installed open up the Control Panel and add one Virtual Line
    3. After adding the line go to your Window Sound Settings under Playback and Microphone and activate “LINE 1”. In Playback you also set “LINE 1” as your default playback device (Right click -> Set as Default device)
    4. Under your Microphone Settings Right-Click the “LINE 1” and go to the properties. In there go to Tab “Listen” and set the option “Listen to that Playback Source” (Might be called differently, since I’m not on an english system atm) and select your headset within the dropdown menu.
      For me this is “Speaker (Logitech G35 Headset)”. Click Apply
    5. If everything worked fine you should see the graphical equalizer go up and down as soon as you play any sound from any application. So go ahead and test it with a media player. I did this with Spotify. What actually happens is, that Spotify uses Line 1 as Default Device and since you said ok I wanna hear everything that comes to Line 1 over my Headphones you should hear everything normally. Dead Island will send its sound to Line1, too from now on and since Line1 is just a stereo device there shouldn’t be an issue as where Dead Island wants to send 7.1 sound to the Logitechs G35. This is why the error occurs in the first place. The Logitech G35 isn’t a real sorround headset, it just simulates the surround sound but stating in Windows it can handle 7.1.
      The fix worked for me. Hopefully it does for everyone else in here.
      If somethings not clear about VAC just see this post:
      http://blog.hemp-society.de/2013/02/how-to-exclude-any-audio-off-your_4.html
      That’s how I set up my VAC except for the fact, that I just used ONE VAC Line not three as listed in the post.

This solution works, the problem is the “Trial” voice repeating every 5 or so seconds. Which is boring.

If there was a way to remove it or a better, free , program it would be nice.

• VB audio cable does the same thing without the annoying trial thingy.
    http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/
    Believe I already tried this solution didnt work for me though :(. Might try it again with other sample rate but dont think it will matter.
    This solution forces stereo over your headset though instead of virtual 7.1. So functionality of your headset is now a bit limited but hey atleast it works. Think my problem is way different then yours sorry for hijacking your thread :P.

• So for anyone having the same problem as me (audio stutter after a long period of time) who might be lurking this forum looking for a fix. Just typing reconnect in the console fixes my problem for whatever reason. It still happens the next match though. I still dont know the cause nor how to permenantly fix it though :(.

• @Trip:

So for anyone having the same problem as me (audio stutter after a long period of time) who might be lurking this forum looking for a fix. Just typing reconnect in the console fixes my problem for whatever reason. It still happens the next match though. I still dont know the cause nor how to permenantly fix it though :(.

Don’t worry for the Hijacking. Allahu Akbar brother, may the god of the fixes be with you.