Just came to ask some questions..

• So I was gone. Forever. Retired. Whether it was my loss of hope for new content, loss of faith in Torn Banner, different games, work, or my nagging girlfriend, I do not know. But I was gone, and, as many of you I’m sure have done, I returned.

So, naturally, I have some issues that I wonder about after my long absence.

Why is it that when I’m chasing someone, or someone chases me, we enter Sanic speed? Honestly it looks like someone just lit a rocket from my ass and I’m scared I’m going to make liftoff. Is there an explanation for this?

Why is it that hit trading is so easy to force now? Honestly I haven’t seen any point in not using the maul, I just swing into oblivion until they’re gasping for breath or try to attack me so I can reap the rewards. I guess we don’t have flinch anymore? :smiley_simmons: 2spooky

I can riposte with the sword of war in a seemingly faster fashion than I could ever hope to poke a willing Kate Beckinsale (super Sanic speed.)

Is the flail still merely a noobslapper?

Why in the foogedy fook is the reverse overhead/whirlwind barbarian still a thing? Not that I can’t parry it or just feint 3rd person fishbowl “lellookdaddyi’mkiting” folks for free hits, I just figured we’d have snipped the whole xx360quikscopexx out by now.

Why in the fliggedy flook is 1st person spectator no longer a thing? Are we cutting features now?

What in the flippedy flooper is going on with the light crossbow? Is it Chivalry’s sniper rifle now? I’ve never slapped folks at will with such ease!

I have a lot more in mind but confusion fills me.

• About hit trading: before we had something called flinch in sprint, which was a mechanic that caused you to flinch mid release IF you were sprinting OR if you take 80+ damage. The whole community cried because of it and it was removed, now we are deep into caveman (forcing trades fight style) meta and only bringing flinch during release can save the world.

There is a mod by Crushed that adds a mechanic called First hit Flinch. So if you hit first you will flinch your opponent mid release. You can still force trades sometimes, but you need to time it right, different from vanilla game where you LMB gamble to victory.

Go into the B0lonce discussion and look for FHF threads, there are 2 of them with a huge discussion, its a interesting read my friend. Try Crushed mod too, its amazing, it balances a lot of shit and FHF feels great imo man, raises the skill ceiling.

• Cried? The whole community cried, and brought us this? Why? Why have they done this??

First hit flinch is something I’d have to test–do slower weapons not get completely facestomped/overwhelmed by daggers & the like?

• Just play poleaxe for some sick flinch in release action.

• I think that CftP has something to do with it tbh, when I actually take my time and perform comboparries instead I can avoid hit trading, but I’ve gotten so used to CFtP so I forgot how and when to CP.

• @Xylvion:

I think that CftP has something to do with it tbh, when I actually take my time and perform comboparries instead I can avoid hit trading, but I’ve gotten so used to CFtP so I forgot how and when to CP.

Can you elaborate/explain thoroughly? I am but an old fellow, and I am hard of understanding.

• LOLS welcome back
    One of my biggest grips is the borkin assed chase mechanic. It was borkined to begin with as you never really knew when it would kick in and at what distance or when it would disengage. So instead of fixing the chase mechanic and making it more reliable they simply increased the Mechanic speed by 10%

DUMB DUMB DUMB….

So what it effectively have done is that it will randomly break into light speed then stop… when ever it wants. It has screwed anyone who uses hit-and-run tactics to fight multi enemies because as soon as you hit the first guy and try to blow past him to get to the next, the new chase code speed will kick in and you are dead.

• @magilla:

Cried? The whole community cried, and brought us this? Why? Why have they done this??

First hit flinch is something I’d have to test–do slower weapons not get completely facestomped/overwhelmed by daggers & the like?

Not really. Slower weapons are good for b0ckswings and dragging.

I said it before and I say it again. Crushed’s Mercenaries mod feels like a polished Chivalry.

• @Retsnom:

LOLS welcome back
    One of my biggest grips is the borkin assed chase mechanic. It was borkined to begin with as you never really knew when it would kick in and at what distance or when it would disengage. So instead of fixing the chase mechanic and making it more reliable they simply increased the Mechanic speed by 10%

DUMB DUMB DUMB….

So what it effectively have done is that it will randomly break into light speed then stop… when ever it wants. It has screwed anyone who uses hit-and-run tactics to fight multi enemies because as soon as you hit the first guy and try to blow past him to get to the next, the new chase code speed will kick in and you are dead.

Lol makes sense then. I’d rather have the broken mechanic than suddenly hit nitrous, we’re knights not Hondas! How long has it been like this? I’m sure not long at it’s something that would just be patched soon??

• @Hitom:

Not really. Slower weapons are good for b0ckswings and dragging.

I said it before and I say it again. Crushed’s Mercenaries mod feels like a polished Chivalry.

I gotta try this mod before I can comment on it. It sounds good on… forum… though. A lot better than the current system. I’m not suffering so much from the hit trades so much as I am benefitting too much from them. But, again, that’s because I was using the Knight for a decent amount of time that I played… It felt bad overall and especially so with the maul–I felt like I was exploiting almost.

• The chase mech got tweaked the patch before the Christmas update. Still scratching my head as to whos bright idea that was to increase the speed by 10% and I don’t recall any major request to even fix it except an occasional request to make it actually work right.

Yeah if you play Knight, you are the beneficiary of the hit exchange meta…. same is true with 1 shot van swords.

• It’s currently Hit Trade Warfare, for better or for worse. Generally for worse, but it’s certainly different. Maul is top tier and hard to deal with, but the basics are back to how they used to be (meaning before June Shitpatch) so the grand majority of the game is very much the same, weapon balance is just quite different.

I think everyone should play Merc Mod, it’s solid, though my personal preference regarding regen would be to have it closer to release, when it was bugged and regen started immediately after you stopped sprinting, so just tapping sprint turned into your regen button. Being able to start regening quickly, but have minimal health gain per tick, is my ideal rather than waiting a long time and getting a lot of health. This contributed to the balance as well since even in a 1v1 fight, if you weren’t pressuring the other guy enough, he could gain some health. Do that enough and he might take an extra hit to kill. Health management vs the current stamina management, I much prefer it that way.

• retsnom; i do really hope they change this speed. seems like it has been awhile, though, so i’m fearful…

daiyuki; i still haven’t had a chance to check the mod out. hopefully there’s a server running it with reasonable ping for
    me (“first hit flinch” seems as though it would be ping dependant, although i may be wrong.)

level with me, though: does TB still communicate or is this game dead in the water? because native seems really bad right now. i know you guys are recommending the mod but i do like to pub as much as the next guy.

• @magilla:

level with me, though: does TB still communicate or is this game dead in the water? because native seems really bad right now. i know you guys are recommending the mod but i do like to pub as much as the next guy.

They have been on vacation but overall are pretty active and obviously working on another big project since they have a pretty large team now.

Sure there are a few issues, but chase mechanic is better than it was before - when you had to spent 10 minutes chasing an archer around the map.

There are actually far fewer complaints nowadays so in general the game is better, there are more TO maps, there was a fun halloween horde map, better balance, archers got a little nerf, population is healthy, many bug fixes (e.g. catapults are fun with the arrow cam now).

But of course people like to complain about the things that bug them but overall the game is super fun.

• @gregcau:

They have been on vacation but overall are pretty active and obviously working on another big project since they have a pretty large team now.

Sure there are a few issues, but chase mechanic is better than it was before - when you had to spent 10 minutes chasing an archer around the map.

There are actually far fewer complaints nowadays so in general the game is better, there are more TO maps, there was a fun halloween horde map, better balance, archers got a little nerf, population is healthy, many bug fixes (e.g. catapults are fun with the arrow cam now).

But of course people like to complain about the things that bug them but overall the game is super fun.

greg: i don’t think it’s really better at all than before. i’d rather chase archers for ten minutes than hit such speeds that i fear traveling through time. not that i ever chased archers for that long anyways. my point is that the mechanic is just too crazy fast.

i don’t think fewer complaints really equals greater balance, or a greater game for that matter, either. that’s a false correlation. many of the people that play now have probably picked the game up on recent sales, and i’m certain that they’re finding the game more adaptable than it once was. you can swing until you’re breathless, and with heavier weapons you can often secure one-hit kills through hit trading. it’s especially the case in team play–getting kills is easier than ever before. i find it interesting because when i left the game initially, people were fighting against spamming strikes and facehugging, but now spamming is a more rewarding tactic than it ever was.

i can understand why the game has devolved a bit, as player retention was an issue, but after testing first hit flinch i’d say that it’s superior in every application, both within duel and team-play.

• I hardly notice the catch up time anymore, Retsnom is the only one whining about it.

• Nah I gotta agree with Retsnom.

It’s so easy to notice. Sometimes you’re not even purposefully “chasing” after anyone, you just casually sprint towards a small group of unsuspecting enemies and suddenly it’s “VROOM VROOM!”

• @Rickvs:

Nah I gotta agree with Retsnom.

It’s so easy to notice. Sometimes you’re not even purposefully “chasing” after anyone, you just casually sprint towards a small group of unsuspecting enemies and suddenly it’s “VROOM VROOM!”

Yeah, I’m in the Rickvs and Retsnom camp on that one. I don’t think it’s just bad, I think it’s baffling and silly.

• Maybe I am just too rusty now, but I feel I can’t compete very well against the heavier weapons with my little ol’ longsword, and team modes are really quite annoying since it’s hit trade after hit trade.

• I saw a problem with it when it was introduced and I had people far behind me get closer a lot faster, but after a while I got used to it, you just need some awareness.