Please Fix Greatsword and Messer Animations

• These two weapons have ridiculous dragging animations where the blade basically stops mid-air and still does full damage. It looks ridiculous and goes against the spirit of the game as an “unintended feature”.

I am not against dragging, and dragging is not a major issue with any of the other weapons. The messer and greatsword animations however can be broken to the point where what you see is not what you get (in terms of taking damage) and it looks absurd.

It’s been about half a year since TBS said they were going to do a “battle for balance” patch and I’m wondering what the status is with that. Will these animation issues be addressed?

• They use the exact same animations as all the other swords.

Wouldn’t the zweihander by worse by your reasoning?

• Forgive lemonator, he’s never actually played the game.

• I second this.
    In my opinion Messer is the most broken weapon in the game at the moment. I would feel ashamed to use it so I never do.
    What you referred to is a big issue for me, too. Just combo long enough and the animation stops fitting the hit box. Add some ridiculous mouse movement without knowing what the fuck you are actually doing and force the trade every now and then (or always) and boom: GG caveman gambler.
    Also, but that seems to be a very subjective impression, I find the Messer to be too fast when accelerated for it’s damage. I main LS and often encounter that a Messer hits and flinches (!) me with its overhead although my accel should be faster and I started like .5 seconds earlier. If it doesn’t flinch me it hat tardes. May be ping though. Additionally if you only overhead accel you can counter most 2H weapon and comboes to force the trade. Skill…
    The last thing I can think of without nitpicking hardcore on the weapon is the reach. Sometimes it just seems like the weapon is somehow “extending”. It hits you where it definitely should not.

My suggestion is to decrease the reach of Messer. Leave the rest as it is to prevent a shitstorm of butt hurt Messer users, but with a little less reach you can counter their gambling shit with footwork and reach management.
    Or just increase the LS reach. Personal request yay!

Okay. A bit of discussionworthy things, some rant and now I am curious how other people think of this and if anybody encounters the same shit as me.

//Marv

• I always seem to remember dragging greatsword slashes only for the blade to phaze through as the attack had already ended even though I could see it was still happening

• Love how the gr8sword got an overhead windup nerf but is still so fast that it can desync and flinch a fork.

• @dudeface:

Forgive lemonator, he’s never actually played the game.

So what are these magic different animations these weapons have?

• Once I made a slash over someones head with the messer and then dragged it back into his head while my blade was still going the other way. I’m not talking about a 360, I killed someone with the blunt side of the messer.

• @lemonater47:

So what are these magic different animations these weapons have?

They got the same animations, you’re not wrong here. But if you take a look at norse sword and wulfrics sword you’ll notice that wulfrics sword isn’t completely synced up, which is rather annoying.

• “mimimimimi i cant parry delay??? pls fix :cc”

haha

• Once I made a slash over someones head with the messer and then dragged it back into his head while my blade was still going the other way. I’m not talking about a 360, I killed someone with the blunt side of the messer.

I think you’re full of it. There is no possible way you could’ve done this without the other person not parry and run into the tracer as you dragged very slow. The messer is not able to be dragged like that, as are any weapons. I’ve put in about a hundred hours on it and I’ve seen what you’re talking about happen zero times. I’m not sure you understand how the weapon works.

• but with a little less reach you can counter their gambling shit with footwork and reach management

You can already do this, it’s staple to playing against a messer user that is heavy on matrix. I have about a hundred hours on messer alone, and I am finding it a bit silly when I land an either alt lmb reverse instant hit or instant accelerated lmb. It is honestly just a bit too fast to react to, and I have 5 ping on some servers. I know that it’s mostly my fault for not reading that they are going to use those attacks, but I think because of the amount of damage output it’s too safe of an option to be available.

Additionally if you only overhead accel you can counter most 2H weapon and comboes to force the trade

Uh, what? Literally all the other weapons have fast overheads too. This isn’t just a messer thing. Many people are able to put out other attacks before my overhead lands. It’s not my fault you decided to attack when I overheaded. The strange part is that you’re not complaining about being able to waterfall off of a lookdown, you’re just complaining about a straight up lookdown overhead that you somehow are having trouble against.

• God forbid there’s added depth to the game. Just learn what people’s options are in different situations and counter accordingly.

• @elpancake:

Once I made a slash over someones head with the messer and then dragged it back into his head while my blade was still going the other way. I’m not talking about a 360, I killed someone with the blunt side of the messer.

I think you’re full of it. There is no possible way you could’ve done this without the other person not parry and run into the tracer as you dragged very slow. The messer is not able to be dragged like that, as are any weapons. I’ve put in about a hundred hours on it and I’ve seen what you’re talking about happen zero times. I’m not sure you understand how the weapon works.

This is very possible. It’s easier with 2hand swords though, messer and zwei especially.

• @Naleaus:

This is very possible. It’s easier with 2hand swords though, messer and zwei especially.

wow. the rumours were tru

• @elpancake:

Once I made a slash over someones head with the messer and then dragged it back into his head while my blade was still going the other way. I’m not talking about a 360, I killed someone with the blunt side of the messer.

He’s not full of it, as you can see in the video provided by Naleaus….and Naleaus can pull it off at will with the greatsword.

• messermasterrace

• @Naleaus:

HAHAHAHA!

This game is so jacked.