MSI GS270

• What do you think of this laptop as a gaming platform (primary purpose is a travelling business laptop)

http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-2PE-211US-Stealth-Pro.html#hero-specification

• @gregcau:

What do you think of this laptop as a gaming platform (primary purpose is a travelling business laptop)

http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-2PE-211US-Stealth-Pro.html#hero-specification

Didn’t you just buy an Alienware?

Looks like a good gaming laptop, but I dunno if it’d be a good travelling business machine. I doubt the battery lasts long, it probably gets hot and it’s too big to use easily on trains and what-not. For what it’s worth, I use a macbook pro for my work machine because I have to go to client sites a lot, but I also have windows on bootcamp for when I want on-the-move gaming, and it works pretty well tbh, I get 60fps on chiv no problem. If this is going to be your primary gaming machine (I have a gaming rig at home for serious gaming), then yeah, what you linked will probably do for work and be a great gaming machine too.

• @Harry:

Didn’t you just buy an Alienware?

Looks like a good gaming laptop, but I dunno if it’d be a good travelling business machine. I doubt the battery lasts long, it probably gets hot and it’s too big to use easily on trains and what-not. For what it’s worth, I use a macbook pro for my work machine because I have to go to client sites a lot, but I also have windows on bootcamp for when I want on-the-move gaming, and it works pretty well tbh, I get 60fps on chiv no problem. If this is going to be your primary gaming machine (I have a gaming rig at home for serious gaming), then yeah, what you linked will probably do for work and be a great gaming machine too.

They couldnt swap out the second hard drive to a 7200RPM so I cancelled it. Yeah I expect the battery not to last that long but Air Canada has power so I am not too worried about that. I currently travel with a 17" and while a little large I prefer the large screen for development work. And I use it for home, no sense of buying another computer.

Interesting idea for the Macbook Pro though (though I would have to drop to 15.4 inch display)

By the way - running hot - is that normal usage or heavy gaming that would make it run hotter. Not like I would overclock it.

• @gregcau:

They couldnt swap out the second hard drive to a 7200RPM so I cancelled it. Yeah I expect the battery not to last that long but Air Canada has power so I am not too worried about that. I currently travel with a 17" and while a little large I prefer the large screen for development work. And I use it for home, no sense of buying another computer.

Interesting idea for the Macbook Pro though (though I would have to drop to 15.4 inch display)

By the way - running hot - is that normal usage or heavy gaming that would make it run hotter. Not like I would overclock it.

I’d only recommend the macbook if it’s not your primary gaming machine, I only play games on it when I have no access to my dedicated gaming rig. The only reason I’d recommend it at all is because it’s objectively (big talk) a better machine for everything other than gaming, and the one with the dedicated graphics can still play games well with bootcamp at a push. I’m a dev too, and since I switched to mac my productivity has sky rocketed, and I can’t believe I held off for so long.

The other option is to get he one you linked or something similar, and dual boot into a friendly flavour of Linux for work? I dunno, I just hate windows for anything other than gaming!

I mentioned the hot thing only because I had a gaming laptop ages ago (one of the first alien ware laptops actually), and it used to get crazy hot. It basically cooked itself to death after not long at all, but I’m sure heat and power management has improved since then… might be something to keep in mind though.

• I have the GT70 Dominator (http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GT70_2QD2292US_Dominator.html#hero-overview) and it’s a great laptop. Runs Chiv at about 30 FPS because the game is optimized along the lines of a turd with some shoe polish on it, but I like it. Bit heavy, Windows 8 is annoying as hell, but it’s certainly not lacking performance.

• So I got the MSI linked above. Setting bSmoothFrameRate=False on High settings I get 90 FPS on stoneshill on an empty multiplay server. Interestingly it never goes above 90.00 FPS so probably there is something else capping the maximum (low settings makes no difference).

• @gregcau:

So I got the MSI linked above. Setting bSmoothFrameRate=False on High settings I get 90 FPS on stoneshill on an empty multiplay server. Interestingly it never goes above 90.00 FPS so probably there is something else capping the maximum (low settings makes no difference).

To go above 90fps, you don’t uncap your framerate, you leave it set to True and set it the max to 120fps.

• @Naleaus:

To go above 90fps, you don’t uncap your framerate, you leave it set to True and set it the max to 120fps.

I tried that and I read some other posts, I think if you go online the cap is 90 FPS regardless, locally the FPS is huge of course.

• What is the refresh rate on your monitor? If you can’t set it to atleast equal your FPS there isn’t much point in having over 60fps. I play on a desktop but before I got my 144hz monitor there were minimal differences between me playing at 60 or 120 fps.