Linux Performance & Bug Reports

• Please post any bug reports, performance reports, or other feedback here: Please keep discussion relevant to reporting relevant information.

To access the port testing beta from the Desktop Steam client, right-click on Chivalry in the library, click Properties, click on the BETAS tab, and choose linuxtesting from the drop-down.

From Big Picture, open up Chivalry’s page in the Library, move left to “Links & More”, and down to “Select Beta…”; open this, choose “Ports testing (Linux+Mac)” from the drop-down, and choose OK.

If you can’t see the branch, you may need to restart Steam first.

• Running great at max settings on Debian Jessie running repo NVIDIA drivers and stable Steam client, on Cinnamon desktop, i5 4690, 8GB RAM, 2GB ASUS GTX660OC, 1080p, with a Logitech F710 in Xinput mode.

One problem: the game has minimized itself to the taskbar twice in approximately 20 minutes or so. The screensaver was my first thought, but it isn’t actually kicking in, so I’m not sure what’s the deal with that. It’s a problem, anyhow. I will have to install GNOME tonight and see if I get the same behavior.

Thanks so much for supporting Linux (and I guess Mac… Best not leave anyone out).

• AMD FX™-8320, Radeon R9 270X
    linux 3.17, Mesa 10.3.2

• severe stuttering and hanging in matches, seems to be worst when engaging in meele combat
    • Training Map crashes the game
    • loading the server list makes the game really unresponsive
    • found a visual glitch https://i.imgur.com/WVmXyCu.jpg could be the driver though

libframetime output:
    Min/avg/max frametimes (us): 1577 / 41591.4 / 6986284
    Min/avg/max FPS: 0.143138 / 24.0435 / 634.115

50/90/95/99 percentiles (us): 29670 / 60362 / 79706 / 225218

• The instructional messages seem buggy in a couple ways. First, sometimes it tells me the keyboard keys instead of the gamepad buttons, even though I’ve not touched my mouse or keyboard at all. Secondly, sometimes the messages don’t go away, and start blinking back and forth. One example of this is when I was doing the archery training, it was stuck between telling me to press D-pad up to switch to my daggess, and press RT to reload (or something like that - was hard to read it constantly flickering back and forth).

• so far so good: only graphical issue i have noticed so far is with the sun that has some sort of blurred blue lines around the sky.
    performance seems fairly good with the quite old GTX 660Ti: havent tested more than 2 maps yet… will keep testing.

here a short gameplay video how it runs, what graphical settings used and how the sun graphical glitch looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv_OMEJeNjU

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (nvidia drivers 343.36)
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4,3Ghz
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1866mhz
    DE:MATE desktop with compton

• Flag bug … I Have seen it on 2 maps now.

http://imgur.com/a/89yP5

System Information : http://pastebin.com/1UW2R7pC

• OS: Linux Mint 17.1 x64 GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 (Propritary driver 343.36) CPU: AMD FX-8350 RAM: 8 GB 1866 Performance: Game runs fine so far, 60 FPS almost all the time on highest settings. Some stuttering when the game is loading (knowing behaviour with Unreal Engine on Linux). Bugs: Banners are infinitely long: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/544141213087958134/41C70BC2C2F9C19E1DEB7CCA8E885FD884C4FCB2/ Compatibility: XBOX 360 Gamepad works out of the box.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 (Propritary driver 343.36)
    CPU: AMD FX-8350
    RAM: 8 GB 1866

Performance:
    Game runs fine so far, 60 FPS almost all the time on highest settings. Some stuttering when the game is loading (knowing behaviour with Unreal Engine on Linux).

Bugs:
    Banners are infinitely long: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/544141213087958134/41C70BC2C2F9C19E1DEB7CCA8E885FD884C4FCB2/

Compatibility:
    XBOX 360 Gamepad works out of the box.

• Works great for me.

The only bugs I’ve found in the 30 minutes of testing I’ve done:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 (proprietary driver 343.36)
    CPU: i7-4770k
    RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHz

• Lag in the start of rounds, when you choose team and class, and also a couple of seconds before the match begins. After that, solid 60fps in highest settings.
    • Textures missing from trees (Could be driver-related)
    • Some rounds, I’ve been unable to move, and the bots too. A suicide fixed it.
    • Last round I played it stopped taking in mouse-inputs, even a suicide did not fix it. The mouse-input worked in menues, and everywhere else, just not when I tried to move.

• Similar as NoXPhasm:

Arch Linux x64
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (Propritary driver 343.36)
    CPU: i5-2500k
    RAM: 8 GB 1333

Performance is similar to Windows 7. FPS is capped at 60 most of the time. In game I noticed a little stuttering at loading (new sounds, textures etc.) but it lasts only a few seconds after map is loaded.

My video settings: http://i.imgur.com/TXzgraA.png

Only bug I have noticed are streched banners: http://i.imgur.com/LMchGHx.jpg

Xbox one controller works great “out of the box” altough I plan to use KB+M only.

• What I found out after several hours of playing is that the fight and footstep sounds of others are not really stereo. The sound is equal on both speakers, which makes it impossible to locate where a fight is running. Or from where a enemy is running at me. Music and ambient sounds are not affected by this.

I’ve tested it with my speakers and with a headset.

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M275X 2GB
    Driver: Catalyst 14.12
    CPU: Dual-core double threaded Haswell i7 2 GHz/3.1 GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    DE: Unity
    Resolution: 1920x1080

I am using the FPS counter in the Steam beta to mesure performance. At the default settings (everything max except for 100 max decals and FXAA medium), it runs at about 20 FPS. Turning everything down to minimum gives me an almost-stable 30 FPS. I can’t seem to get it any higher than that. Also, vignette refuses to turn off and vsync (which was on by default) gave me horrible mouse lag.

I got black textures on far away mountains in the map Stoneshill Village, lowest graphical settings. Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2. It went away when I went a little closer. In that game I was also experiencing the shift key opening the Steam overlay, but it was properly set to run when the server moved onto the next map.

I’m also sometimes getting black ground textures in the map Moor. Happened in 2 different servers, 1 was modded.

Game crashed on me while I was changing the field of view in-game. I was dead when it happened, if it helps.

• I posted another comment that’s currently awaiting mod approval, which contains my specs. Here are some more bugs, these are pretty game-breaking:

I got this graphical glitch when I changed the graphical settings (in-game) to this. I changed the graphics again to this, which gave me this error, however, after taking the screenshot and re-entering the graphical error was this instead.

–EDIT–
    I’m pretty sure that the glitch originates from the depth of field, as it only happened with it enabled.

• that black texture bug seems to be similar to good old bug when the game was played under wine. then it had same black textures in distance even with nvidia card … so i think amd drivers miss something similar that wine did miss

GPU: GTX 760
    Driver: 346.22 beta
    CPU: Intel i5 4670
    RAM: 4GB
    DE: dwm

Game crashes to desktop after burning granary on offline match 10 bots.
    Same issue with slightly lowered gfx settings.

Otherwise the game runs well.

Thanks

• @Shinsekai_Yori:

I posted another comment that’s currently awaiting mod approval, which contains my specs. Here are some more bugs, these are pretty game-breaking:

I got this graphical glitch when I changed the graphical settings (in-game) to this. I changed the graphics again to this, which gave me this error, however, after taking the screenshot and re-entering the graphical error was this instead.

Those graphical artifacts look a lot like VRAM issues.

• The game runs pretty good at around 100 FPS.
    Just played few maps with bots though.

Some issues I bumped into:

• slight stutter or even hangs while accessing menus/selecting clans etc.
    • also while in menus I get the most lowest fps and mouse lag.
    • some graphic artifacts (distorted banners) and occasionally black textures.

AMD FX 8350
    Nvidia GTX 780
    16GB RAM
    SteamOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHlsD-SGS0&feature=youtu.be

• There are a lot of lags when I play online. My FPS are fine and there are no players with more than 100 ms ping on the servers. Still I do sometimes warp around, or just die without anything happened.

I have recorder some of the really strange warps: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/382314

Also the whole 100 minutes of gameplay, for those who are interested: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/382306

• Gentoo user here, I’m running it under mesa radeonsi (don’t know whether mesa is supported, but I’m not here to whine about anything :P). I haven’t really played the game before and don’t have any windows/wine comparisons of my own to share. I currently need to fix my driver setup cause there are fps spikes in many games at random times so I don’t expect this game to be playable for my setup at the time and my fps comments will only mention stable periods where I get no spikes due to my setup’s issues. I’m planning to do some heavier testing once I fix my drivers. This is what I gathered so far:

My setup:
    Distro: Gentoo Linux
    Kernel Version: 3.17.4
    Mesa Version: 10.3.4
    GPU: HD7950

Non-Performance Related:
    The game had some main menu cursor lag when first I launched it (actually more like low sensitivity) but the in-game mouse was fine. It’s fixed now (don’t know if it had to do anything with fiddling around in the settings or not, but it’s alright). Logitech Rumblepad2 controller works out of the box. All menus including character customization screens seem to operate fine.

I initially tried launching a local bot game with custom medium-high settings. It loaded and run. It wasn’t playable as far as performance is concerned, but that’s probably an issue with my latest mesa installation’s updates and the fact I’m using the foss drivers anyway. I didn’t really expect it to run fine and I only state it for testing’s sake. There was no graphical glitch noticed at the time. Closed the game

When I came back and decided to have some more testing I tried launching the Training tutorial. At first I couldn’t see anything so I restarted (There were those weird colored small squares on top of a black background + subtitles. after a while you would glimpse the game’s actual 3d world but there were semi invisible objects or shader issues and black rectangles on top of it. Image1 Image2 Image3).
    Nothing changed. I lowered the settings to “Medium” (no custom changes) and launched the tutorial again. This time there was no issue and I couldn’t notice any bugs. I had 50-55+ fps constantly (again, in the tutorial…).
    Then I tried Multiplayer. The performance dropped a loooot (which was expected) and there were also some half textured object and ugly textures (I don’t believe those were medium). There were also some really long trees (horizontal axis. just like the banner bug mentioned above. I didn’t see any banners yet) and some black rectangles. Image4 Image5 Image6. I know that some of these might not be related to the game itself but I believe I should mention them anyway. I hope you understand. The black ractangles are probably driver related (they happen a lot on Rust for me).

Performance:
    Again, I can’t really test whether it’s playable or not right now, but guess is that once I fix my driver related graphics spikes it will be playable on medium settings. I don’t use windows and thus I can’t elaborate on it.

Only Game Menu thingy I noticed:
    “News: Thank you for playing Chibalry.” Bottom-right corner in the main menu.
    The “Thank you…” text string Is not vertically centered but I doubt that’s on purpose. The text nearly touches the top side of the rectangular blue box.
    As with performance, I don’t run windows and haven’t installed chivalry through wine so I don’t know whether it should operate like that. I’ll go watch a video on YouTube and see whether it’s the same there. Image7

That’s all for now. I might also give catalyst a try so as to test this game at some point. At last, thank you for bringing the game to linux and mac. Publishing the same announcement on GamingOnLinux yourselves was something notable. I applaud you for that :) Keep up the good work.

• few more bugs noticed:

-Going to Customization menu makes the game run at 6-10 FPS and when checking processes UDKGame-Linux drops from normal 18% to 3% while Xorg.bin goes from normal 1% to 11% while in that menu.

-weird purple dots on the screen (couldnt reproduce it twice though) Screenshot

• server list sometimes doesnt want to refresh even when clicking refresh,- esc back to main menu and back to server list fixes it

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (nvidia drivers 343.36)
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4,3Ghz
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1866mhz
    DE: MATE desktop with compton