Mac OS Performance & Bug Reports

• Please post any bug reports, performance reports, or other feedback here: Please keep discussion relevant to reporting relevant information.

To access the port testing beta from the Desktop Steam client, right-click on Chivalry in the library, click Properties, click on the BETAS tab, and choose linuxtesting from the drop-down.

From Big Picture, open up Chivalry’s page in the Library, move left to “Links & More”, and down to “Select Beta…”; open this, choose “Ports testing (Linux+Mac)” from the drop-down, and choose OK.

If you can’t see the branch, you may need to restart Steam first.

• I have launched the game on my mac from 2010 W/ 3.2 Ghz processor and a 512MB Ati radeon graphics card. I have run a few matches and the only major problem i noticed was that the frame rate was suck between 20 and 25 fps. after hours messing with local files and pushing the game to its ugliest I still was not able to remedy this issue, I believe it is an issue with the resolution as it will always return to the default setting. also the ability to make the game even uglier I don’t need to see nice armor when I could get the game to run smoothly .one last note i would like to thank you for porting this game it is truly a wonder of the gaming market that i can now enjoy with all my PC owning roommates.

• Hello and thanks (a lot!) for considering us Mac users. I do use Bootcamp for most of my gaming these days because of the often lacklustre approach to Mac ports by game developers. It’s really encouraging that you guys are taking it seriously, and it’s much appreciated!

I installed Chivalry on my Macbook Pro a little while ago to test the waters. I don’t have access to a mouse right now and my controller doesn’t seem to be supported (Xbox One) so I can’t test game play yet (will do later). In the meantime though I did have a poke around and noticed a couple of things:

• Fullscreen seems to ignore the resolution I select in the options and instead uses something close to the desktop resolution but at the wrong aspect ratio. I can select a resolution, come out of the options, go back in and it will appear to have changed - but nothing actually happens.

• As mentioned, my Xbox One controller doesn’t seem to be supported, but this could just as easily be my fault or simply that the One controller isn’t supported. I’ll try my 360 controller later.

Thanks again for the Mac support. I’ll try out actually playing the game later, but I thought I’d mention the things I’ve noticed right now while they’re fresh.

• Hi, I tried to run this on a Macbook Air with:

• OS X 10.9.5
    • Haswell i5 dual core 1,3 Ghz
    • 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
    • Integrated HD graphics 5000
    • “Swedish - Pro” on the keyboard

I’ve hooked up my aoc g2460pqu (144 Hz 1080P) over mini-displayport to it, got my vengeance m65 mouse and MK-85 keyboard from Corsair and Qpad (Nordic layout)plugged it, and encountered the following issues:

Audio is laggy/stuttery. Not sure if this happens because of the overall terrible performance on this computer, but it’s so bad that I can’t even have it on. Music on main menu works fine though.
    Keyboard is desynched with the game - ins/del, pgup, pgdown, the console button don’t work, and when I mashed all the keys on the board the console still refused to show up.
    The worst part of it is however, the resolution can’t be changed. I’ve tried borderless, windowed and fullscreen mode, but regardless of what I choose it still renders at 1080P, and depending on the settings it might scale down to a smaller box in the middle, or a smaller window, but the performance does not get better. This is highly frustrating as my computer (and pressumably all other Mac-tops) can not handle this game at full resolution.
    Still very glad to see that you’re working on it for a broader range of operative systems.
    Best regards, Birkus.

• Anyone got one of those 5k retina display macs? 1080p is literally a postcard on one of those screens lol.

Anyway I have a iMac lying around. Downloading the game currently. We’ll see how it goes. If I can find the mac mouse it would be hilarious. No scroll wheel but an iPod touch style scroll zone where you can “throw” your scroll. It will either not work at all or you will get unwanted combos that don’t stop.

• I think my Macbook is way too slow for this game, so most of my problems are probably from that, but I also noticed I could not stab while sprinting, it would just do an overhead for both mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down. If I was walking or standing still I could stab and it said in the keybinds that it was all set normally so I don’t know why that was happening.

• Turns out it didn’t even start downloading. Didn’t notice. But it comes up with an error message. It couldn’t install chivalry medieval warfare becuase of an invalid depot config. Whatever invalid depot config means. Other games instal fine I tested that. Chivalry doesn’t want to. And yes I am installing the beta version.

My mac is a late 2009 21.5 inch iMac.
    3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo
    12GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM
    AMD 4670 the 256MB version.

And its running OSX 10.9.5.

Update. Installed fine on my iMac G5. Pity the game doesn’t support PowerPC CPUs. Still can’t install on that first mac though.

• I have a Hackintosh running the latest update of Yosemite (OSX10.10.1)
    3.59 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad Core
    8BG 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048 MB

Download and installation was no problem, but as soon as I launch either game they become unresponsive (as indicated by the Force Quit Applications window) and fail to load past the loading screen before the main menu. I get the Torn Banner Logo and then the loading screen itself, but it never gets to the menu. The sword/cogs just keep spinning. I verified the cache, but no improvement. Hope this is helpful.

PS: Love the game. Keep up the good work.

• Hello, I downloaded the Mac beta for Chivalry the other night and played it last night with a friend with no problems (except maybe some latency and lag issues here and there.)
    When I got home tonight to play with my friend again I had a whole bunch of issues. I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail.
    The first thing I noticed is when I go to Join, all the servers that come up have 0 people in them. I can join those servers but as it says, there is no one in them. Also the server that my friend is in doesn’t even come up. When I choose join game through steam, I get a couple different error messages depending on whether I have the game started or not when I choose to join his game. I don’t understand what happened, I was playing just fine last night. Any ideas?
    I also tried to add screenshots to this, but for some reason it was giving me a “failed to upload” error even though they are .jpeg’s and there should be no issue with file size…quite frustrating on top of all the issues I’m having with your game :/

I guess I’ll just tell you what the error messages were.
    “?INT?Engine.Errors.ConnectionFailed?”
    and
    “?INT?Engine.Errors.NoDownload?”

• Developer

The OS X and Linux builds are now a version behind from the latest Windows build. We haven’t yet integrated them with our main build process; once we do, this’ll no longer happen (i.e. Windows, Linux, and OS X will all be patched at the same time every time). Will let you know when we have an ETA for getting them up-to-date with Windows. In the meantime,

Update 1

• Linux+Mac: Full screen graphical corruption when selecting some settings - particularly, turning on depth of field but bloom off.
    • Linux+Mac: Graphical corruption of lightmaps in some instances
    • Linux only: Fixed cloth (mostly flags) stretching to infinity
    • Linux only: implemented stereo positional audio. This was not supported by SDL for 32-bit float audio streams, which we use; an implementation was written, though it’s a bit too “simple” it should still help with stereo positioning

• Missing executable.

At least it downloaded this time.

• This post is deleted!

• @lemonater47:

Missing executable.

At least it downloaded this time.

I have the same problem as lemonater. I tried installing the game on 2 of the iMacs at work. One was 10.9.5, the other was 10.9.2. I tried all of the troubleshooting tasks from steam’s support website, as well as a few other things, but overall I can’t get the chivalry.app to run.

10.9.5: i5 3.2GHz, HD 5760, 4GB ram
    10.9.2: i3, HD 5760, 4GB ram

I appreciate the development, lads. I look forward to passing the time at work more efficiently.

• This game is scared by my Chivalry skill so it keeps loading at “keyboard screen”.

OS X 10.10.1 // rMBP 15 inch late 2013

• Managed to get it to work and as expected performance is awfull fluctuationing between 10-25 FPS. Tons of mini freezes and stuttering and the less said about menu performance the better.

My mac is a late 2009 21.5 inch iMac.
    3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo
    12GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM
    AMD 4670 256MB version.

And its running OSX 10.9.5.

• The game worked yesterday, but after a 10 MB patch today, the game reverts to the missing executable error I was experiencing before.

• Was able to run it on latest maxed out Retina Macbook Pro, but very choppy (in Bootcamp can run all on high no problems) and the sound is glitched out sometimes (starts popping and barely there 1-2 seconds after I leave the spawn zone).

Is this beta going to see attention? With all the announcements about TB dropping Chivalry support and all.

Update: When running on Bootcamp I get 45-60 fps on 1440x900 all max (no shadows)
    when running on OSX on same settings I get 17-30fps and when all on low or off and 1280x800 I get 25-35 fps

Strange thing on OSX is that it seems to get this stutter / drops is FPS down to 10 (or 9 ). It gets much worse with more players in the frame.

• @reptilianbrain:

Was able to run it on latest maxed out Retina Macbook Pro, but very choppy (in Bootcamp can run all on high no problems) and the sound is glitched out sometimes (starts popping and barely there 1-2 seconds after I leave the spawn zone).

Is this beta going to see attention? With all the announcements about TB dropping Chivalry support and all.

Update: When running on Bootcamp I get 45-60 fps on 1440x900 all max (no shadows)
    when running on OSX on same settings I get 17-30fps and when all on low or off and 1280x800 I get 25-35 fps

Strange thing on OSX is that it seems to get this stutter / drops is FPS down to 10 (or 9 ). It gets much worse with more players in the frame.

I’m running on a retina iMac with the M295X GPU and seeing the same issues. Runs great in Boot Camp, but struggles in OS X with the same settings, and with noticeable stuttering.

• So it’s been over a month that someone posted this and your reply was “we are working on it”. This is the error…the same engine error stuff. How can you claim that it’s compatible when it really isn’t?! Been wishing for Chiv on mac forever since I play on my Mac with a partitioned side of windows. Soo…ETA!!! This is the error:

and

• Confused…I posted and it’s not here. Any who I’m confused as to how a month ago someone came up with the “engine error” issues and it’s not addressed. I’m receiving the same thing. Why do you call Chiv on mac a finished product when I can’t even play it?! I’ve played 600+ hours on my mac (windows partitioned) and have been wanting this day to arrive forever. PLEASE, release the product when it works…this is the error:

and