Simple: Should there be an overall buff for stamina, or zero drain for blocking?

• I think that perhaps 25% more or 33% more stamina than the current norm, could prove to make heated battles more enjoyable and rewarding. Admittedly, it’s a bit tedious being able to clutch-block 3 attacks and losing 3 times the stamina to be rewarded with the ability to counter-attack once and still possibly have someone block that, and then you have to block their counter and– Oops, there goes your stamina bar. Need to get stunned first and lose health before you are eligible to regain just 1/5 of that to start fighting again.

Couldn’t we just prolong that further? I can’t see how it would be any less enjoyable than it is just now to have a fair stamina buff for every class. I mean, feints are fine now and I do think they are as balanced as they can be, so why not simply make fights last a bit longer, and be a bit more enjoyable where you would actually have the capacity to go “all-out” and train any weapon you like to clutch, parry, cftp, ftp, delay, accel, feint all in favour of helping yourself win a round of FFA or be that guy that does a great deal of assisting in team games.

The other option if this somehow proves to be a bad idea would be to completely remove stamina drain for blocking. Keep it for everything else (missing, feinting, holding shield too long, combo-feint-to-parries etc.)
    Or, alternatively, significantly reduce the “penalty” for successfully having blocked an incoming attack (or a few.)

TL;DR

Increase stamina for all classes by 25% / 33% or remove/significantly decrease stamina drain for blocking attacks?

• Some weapons need a stam dam nerf.
    I’d enjoy a 25% increase at best. Removing stam dam from blocking will nullify stamgames in 1v1 situations, and will ultimately ruin the game.

I’m putting down 25% over general stam drain decrease because this will also make stam regen slower relative to weapon drains.

• if any increase is to be done, the maa dodge would need to scale with the increase so they get the same # of dodges they do now.

• I assume most people who voted for the same as me voted for it because of decreasing the stamina drain. Right now you use between 8-25 stamina for every parry. Wasting 8 stamina for parrying a dagger seems a bit too much in my opinion, so lowering the min drain to 4 or 5 would be great as a start. After that has been done parry negation on all weapons except for ‘auxillary’ and ‘daggers’ could be increased by 5. saber/shortsword could get an increase of 3 or so meanwhile cudgel gets 5. The daggers could get somewhat different values as well, for example hunting and thrusting increases by 1 and broad by 2.

This would make the stamina drain far lower all over the board, most 2handers will not waste more than 10 stamina fror any parries, except from other two handers.
    Crushed had a decent idea about PiP not costing any extra stamina, which would also be a great implementation.
    Comboparry could be free instead of costing 5 stamina, it’s just silly.
    FtP/CFtP could get a buff by making a parry cost half of the usual the few moments after you feinted. Only other way I see fit is lowering the stamina drain from 15-10 when it comes to feints. WHICH I don’t see a problem with as you’d lose more stamina for missing and then get rewarded 5 for feinting when you’re about to miss. Right now it’s better to miss with a 1hander than feint.
    I’m not sure if charges still drain 35 stamina or if they were lowered to 25. But the stamina drain for them + a stun is a bit high after parrying, I wouldn’t mind not being able to attack for a few moments after being charged, but being able to parry again is crucial during several situations. Perhaps the stamina drain would be fine if it was lowered for everything else.

Obviously all of this has to do with parrying, which is the most important part of the game, you will still lose stamina from other various movements etc, but you will not get punished as much for successfully parrying.

• No point in theorycrafting, just make a mod that removes stamina drain when successfully parrying.

That’s how FHF was proved to be good.

• Slightly biased poll you have there.

• I don’t think there should be more stamina as I believe that would encourage people to spam feints and allow players to inaccurately flail around with less penalty for missing.

The stamina drained from a successful parry should be significantly decreased though. It’s absurd that you can only parry certain weapons a few times before your stamina runs out and the fact that those weapons also have some of the highest HTK’s in the game makes it even worse.

• The worst part about stamina is that when you’re low/out, it removes all defensive options making it a gamble fest because trading is a much better option than giving your opponent a free hit or two. Basically, the consequences of running out of stam are too severe and limiting.

• @lemonater47:

Slightly biased poll you have there.

Yeah just realised, forgot to put in a 100% “No” vote in the options. Can’t change it now, sorry :3

• Why are we punished for successful parries? Can someone explain why that would be a good thing? Because I don’t see it.

• Make stamina drain less across the board. Stamina was nearly perfect on release, however some weapons should drain more stamina than others. Just not this much. Combo feint to parry should cost a lot of stamina but not this much.

Parries should absolutely drain stamina. That’s good game design. It just shouldn’t be this much. Without stamina drain on parries, we would go back to old Chivalry where duels lasted forever since you could parry forever without being punished. Stamina should matter. It just shouldn’t run out so fast.

• @Ranulf:

Why are we punished for successful parries? Can someone explain why that would be a good thing? Because I don’t see it.

I can’t think of a reason except for shields. There should still be stam drain for blocking with a shield or holding up the shield indefinitely.

• My whole point of this is simply that stamina is not a problem. There is just not enough of it. It’s not gamebreaking, but it is limiting in terms of how much you can do in a single “moment.” You should be able to last longer than 5 seconds in a fight with over 4 players in an FFA match. In terms of the no-penalty-for-parry idea, imagine successfully pulling out of that situation significantly unscathed? This wouldn’t be OP either, because it would require skill to be able to do that.

@entire:

I can’t think of a reason except for shields. There should still be stam drain for blocking with a shield or holding up the shield indefinitely.

I also agree, parrying should be the only thing that you don’t get penalized for.

• @entire:

shield are useless cuz no riposte and you stam out super quickly from blocking

youre also forced to use 1handed weapons which got mega nerfed with the minimum windup changes and the bubble, you literally cant hit people downhill with 1handed weapons lmao

in fact the only attacks you can rely on with 1 handers are ground sniffing lookdowns and stabs

• @Walter:

Yeah just realised, forgot to put in a 100% “No” vote in the options. Can’t change it now, sorry :3

Well you can it will just require everyone to vote again.

• Who would actually vote no though?

• @dudeface:

Who would actually vote no though?

Archers, maybe? They certainly don’t care about stamina, since it doesn’t cost any to draw bows, reload crossbows or throw javelins.

• should cost 50 stamina to throw a javelins tbh.

• There is enough stamina. The way you lose it through parrying is just the issue.

If you increase the overal stamina it would be a buff to the spamming drags and missing playstyle and feinting. I don’t think we need that.

The thing is though if you reduce stamina drain on parry’s players will have more stamina on average to miss and feint. So you would need to slightly increase feint cost and the stamina cost for a miss so you would have the same amount of misses/feints on average.

The biggest difference is that you don’t run out because of parrying by because of missing or feinting excessively which is good for the game.

@Fang:

No point in theorycrafting, just make a mod that removes stamina drain when successfully parrying.

That’s how FHF was proved to be good.

I think the Mercs Mod did this but I read somewhere on cmwleague that Crushed reverted this because Sophax beat him in duels because his maul didn’t stamina stun him anymore in 3 on the parry so he got mad.

• I hope a dev can respond to this thread because it is actually worth testing this out in the next beta build that they are implementing soon. It only requires you to edit a few lines of code, Ky Wild did it once but I no longer have that mod file.