Nerf one-handed thrusts?

• I think we need to slightly nerf one-handed thrusts. It’s no secret that for one-handed weapons the stab attack is oddly popular, especially for the Short Sword.

Now, stabs aren’t able to combo into each other (and likely for a good reason), but thrust -> recovery -> thrust isn’t as slower than thrust -> combo -> anything else as it should be, and thrust -> recovery -> thrust is actually about as fast as thrust -> combo -> anything else for Short Sword. Why is that? Easily answered, their release time is shorter but their recovery time is the same (in fact, if the weapons spreadsheet is to be believed, the SS’s thrust recovery time is actually shorter than it’s other attack’s recoveries. Troubling.).

Therefore, one-handed weapon thrusts should have slightly longer recovery times and possibly also very slightly longer release times. This seems like a sensible fix for the one-hander thrust spam meta that seems prevalent, that shouldn’t noticeably effect thrusts other than when used in succession.

Thoughts?

• Not unbalanced in teamfights, some weapons (thrusting dagger + heater maa for example) can be really dumb in duels, but that’s it.

• @Kim:

Not unbalanced in teamfights, some weapons (thrusting dagger + heater maa for example) can be really dumb in duels, but that’s it.

I feel like it is actually a bit unbalanced in teamfights, because due to this little piece of oddness it feels as if thrust into thrust with Norse Sword has better damage output against Knight and Vanguard than overhead into overhead with Flanged Mace, and also happens to be notably more difficult to block.

I also think the Short Sword actually is overpowered with it’s thrust spam, and that it’s thrust spam also happens to be the main reason the Saber and Cudgel are completely discounted and very rarely used by Archer.

• I was surprised to see how many MAA with norse sword only used thrusts in the team fights during the tournament. It was almost free hits due to the speed of the thrust as well as how easy it is to drag to the side. The fix thought of awhile back for all stabs (because it’s an issue with 2 handed sword stabs as well) is a global change of adding ~100ms to the no feint window on stab attacks. If people can’t feint as late then the stabs would be easier to read. Of course this isn’t a change likely to be seen.

• @AmishInsurgent:

I was surprised to see how many MAA with norse sword only used thrusts in the team fights during the tournament. It was almost free hits due to the speed of the thrust as well as how easy it is to drag to the side. The fix thought of awhile back for all stabs (because it’s an issue with 2 handed sword stabs as well) is a global change of adding ~100ms to the no feint window on stab attacks. If people can’t feint as late then the stabs would be easier to read. Of course this isn’t a change likely to be seen.

Oh man, I wish that change would’ve been applied, because stab feints are just the worst.

• @Ramare:

Oh man, I wish that change would’ve been applied, because stab feints are just the worst.

Even norse sword stab feints are readable (actually more readable than 2h sword stab feints).

• @Kim:

Even norse sword stab feints are readable (actually more readable than 2h sword stab feints).

Thats true, imo sow/ls/zweihander/claymore stab feints are the worse.

• @Kim:

I agree that 2h sword stab feints are harder to read. 1H’s are still tricky though because they stab from the side, allowing the thruster to have an easy time going around a parry. I’m okay with watching for feints, but the longer I’m spending time not reacting the harder it will be to turn to the side and get that parry in. In a teamfight setting you lose much of your focus on that 1 norse sword.

• @Kim:

That’s true, and I’ve even managed to read SoW stab feints which might just be the hardest, but it takes way too much concentration to do so, and that’s gotten me killed more times than I’d care to admit. It also gets progressively harder the higher the pings of both players get, and it also seems to be harder by default on official servers because they’re rubbish.