The vote kick/map system should either be removed or reworked entirely

• It’s been a constant annoyance for months now, years maybe. Vote-kicking and map-voting is just out of control and there’s no solution in sight. There is zero reverence for a votekick or map vote. People can do it as many times as they want for whatever they want. The vote screen pops up more than not and is an almost permanent addition to the game, every match there is a votekick. And people that want a different game mode/map just get to spam vote-map for as long as they can until they get their way and people just vote “yes” to get it over with. It’s getting more and more frustrating putting up with it and I think it should either be removed entirely and get more active admins to do the kicking themselves for higher offenses and let smaller offenses slide or, rework the vote system completely and make it actually work like it’s suppose to.
    But this is of course also partially the doing of the community itself which makes it even more of a bummer. People can let things slide or own up to their faults or mistakes, but they won’t, because they can just votekick someone. Think about that for a second. I hope this will get resolved in the near future, rather sooner than later to be honest. Because I am finally losing my patience with this and its actually stopping me from playing. Cheers.

• Yes, let’s remove votekick and let griefers, trolls and hackers run rampart. What a great solution to minor annoyance. Besides, you can already disable votekick and votechangemap from server settings, if you don’t like how official servers are handled you could always set up your own and watch how it becomes the playground for trolls when admins aren’t present.

• The votekick function is used by griefers and trolls (no idea how hackers come into play here). It is merely an extra tool for their arsenal of harassment. It’s true purpose is lost, it barely serves its proper function and is not helping the situation at all. What a great and helpful response, Krettis.

• But how are we going to vote for a map change?

the real problem with he voting system is that people vote randomly. To tell you the truth voting really isn’t annoying/common enough to be an issue.

• This post is deleted!

• In my old server I used to set the vote duration to about 75%, and the cooldown until that same player can start a vote again to 300%.
    It worked reasonably well actually.

Reverse teamdamage is something I would really love to see, too.

• I would suggest increasing the cooldown for the vote just like Rickvs proposed. Here is my additional idea to decrease votekicks appearance because of tks:

For TK’s, “Reverse team-damage” is the solution; Teammate hits you - He gets damaged instead of you. This would help against spammy no-brain players. They would finally learn not to attack teammates.

The only annoying thing would be people jumping in front of your strikes. Still, I would like to see it as a server option.

EDIT: Had to re-post.

• @Skindiacus:

But how are we going to vote for a map change?

the real problem with he voting system is that people vote randomly. To tell you the truth voting really isn’t annoying/common enough to be an issue.

I’m not sure how wide spread the issue is but I can tell from own experience and from what I’ve heard from friends that it happens more often than not.

@Rickvs

That already seems better than what most servers have, a longer cool down and a higher base percentage for success. But that could also reverse the problem of course when trying to votekick an actual troll/hacker/bully.

• @Pilgore:

The votekick function is used by griefers and trolls (no idea how hackers come into play here). It is merely an extra tool for their arsenal of harassment. It’s true purpose is lost, it barely serves its proper function and is not helping the situation at all. What a great and helpful response, Krettis.

And without votekick they can do as they please if admins can’t be arsed to come and deal with it. TK’ing, speedhacking, oil pot trolling, ballista/cata TKing, you name it. And there is nothing regular players can do about it if there are no admins present at that moment.

As I said, you can just setup your own server if you want to test it out, Peegore.

• @Kreittis:

And without votekick they can do as they please if admins can’t be arsed to come and deal with it. TK’ing, speedhacking, oil pot trolling, ballista/cata TKing, you name it. And there is nothing regular players can do about it if there are no admins present at that moment.

As I said, you can just setup your own server if you want to test it out, Peegore.

Kindergarten is that way >>>>

• Usually the people on the receiving end of votekicks deserve it. Perhaps 10% of the votekicks are uncalled for but usually they dont pass unless the person is being a dick. Map votechange rarely succeeds unless the spawn bug hits the server.

But maybe Pilgore trolls chat a lot and doesnt like get votekicked for it, who knows.

• @Pilgore:

Kindergarten is that way >>>>

I’m just saying that removing votekick would be terrible idea and you could test it right now if you wanted and you resort arguments like this…?

Seems like you are the troll that everyone wants to votekick so I’m not surprised you made this thread.

• The rare times I play now I never see them pass anyway. A guy stayed on for three maps with 500 ping yesterday, despite many votekick attempts.

• The Xbox360 community is just as bad. Just a bunch of 10 year old kids kicking you over and over again until it works just because your K/D is 20-5 or something stupid. You should only be able to kick once every match. Not over and over.

• @General:

You should only be able to kick once every match. Not over and over.

Then the chance of it passing should be higher.

Pass >= 50%

• There was a server in EU without the ability to votekick about a year ago. It was the most horrible shit ever, full of griefing trolls teamkilling in spawn, throwing fireptos at team mates and so on.
    Votekicking for no reason is against the server rules if I’m correct. But removing this function completely would be a huge mistake.

• @gregcau:

Usually the people on the receiving end of votekicks deserve it. Perhaps 10% of the votekicks are uncalled for but usually they dont pass unless the person is being a dick. Map votechange rarely succeeds unless the spawn bug hits the server.

But maybe Pilgore trolls chat a lot and doesnt like get votekicked for it, who knows.

That is not true at all, usually the people that get votekicked get votekicked for accidental team kills, playing “too good,” trolling (and with that I mean trolls kicking other players “he team killed me!” and succeeding), etc. Either everyone here is in denial or is okay with a broken system.

• There’s a few changes I would like to see done to the vote system.

• Disable votekick on servers with 4 or less players. This should put an end to groups of friends taking over servers.
    • Auto kick a player after a certain amount of failed vote attempts to prevent spam.
    • Require at least 2 players to initiate a votekick against another player, similar to Insurgency.
    • Add a scramble teams vote option that server operators can disable.

• Would be nice to somehow have multiple votes at once, because on big servers there’s just little 8% tk votes constantly when you’re trying to votechangemap to darkforest

• @Knifelegs:

There’s a few changes I would like to see done to the vote system.

• Disable votekick on servers with 4 or less players. This should put an end to groups of friends taking over servers.
    • Auto kick a player after a certain amount of failed vote attempts to prevent spam.
    • Require at least 2 players to initiate a votekick against another player, similar to Insurgency.
    • Add a scramble teams vote option that server operators can disable.

I love all of those suggestions.