Thrown weapons and damage arcs

• As it stands right now, I think that thrown weapons are overpowered and don’t have a place in Chivalry. With all the depth that has been put into place solidifying a great melee combat system, I think that thrown weapons make the game feel a little broken. Historically, crossbows were invented in part due to the fact that longbow arrows couldn’t puncture plate armor, so how can a thrown knife/hatchet slice through without issue?

A couple small suggestions to fix thrown weapons:

• Slow down projectiles! I’ve seen major league ball players that can’t throw a baseball that quickly, let alone a heavier object while wearing restricting/heavy armor.
    • Do less damage, or maybe scale damage to class more? Thrown weapons shouldn’t hurt knights at all, vanguards very little, men at arms some and archers the most.
    • Finally, remove them. It is really frustrating to have a good battle with someone, block and parrying, lunging, attacking, kicking, etc, only to have it end because someone running by throws a knife at you. Are you kidding me? I can deal with archers solely due to historical accuracy, and they do add something to larger games, but EVERYONE being able to throw something that has the capacity to kill is a little much.

Next are the damage arcs. As it stands the game promotes a lot of clicking LMB swinging wildly. This damages friends and foes alike that may not be view-able to the player. I think limiting to the damage to the portion of the animation ON SCREEN would be a good fix. I’ve seen people hit and killed when the attacker isn’t even looking at them, and once again, it feels a bit broken when you consider the rest of the effort that has been put in to create a great feel for melee combat. It has also created a lot of TK’ing when people are actually trying to work as a team. I’m not talking about guys just clustering around and swinging that kill each other, I’m talking about a Vanguard and Knight holding a doorway, and the Vanguard swings and somehow kills his buddy who is directly to his right or left. The classes feel like they are built so that players should be able to work in close proximity to each other (knights in front, Vanguards attacking from behind them) but right now, that van would hit and maybe kill that knight.

Just some thoughts.

• Well written, with good points. The knife, I do agree, shouldn’t work on heavy armor, it just shouldn’t be possible. But i think that the throwing hatchet is a good addition to the game, and would hate to see them remove it. It’s heavy enough to pierce armor, but I think that it should have a chance of the blunt end hitting you :P. And as for the knives, they could keep it, but should give you more of them, and shouldn’t effect heavy armored players unless you hit them in a good spot (eg. Shoulderblades, neck, behind the knee, etc). So it wouldn’t be as easy to kill people with. I agree with what your saying of having a good fight, then a knife thrown at you is unfair, and makes the battle not well lost. The point of the game is dying at your opponents feet, not by a knife that shouldn’t have the potential to kill in the first place.

As for accidentally hitting your friends, try using surround sound headphones, it gives you a great feel of what’s to your sides and behind you, when I put them on it improves my gameplay immensely.

• I disagree. I think throwing weapons are currently overshadowed by the option to use shields, especially since shields basically nullify the use of throwing weapons unless they take you by surprise. If you catch an enemy switching to throwing weapons in the middle of a fight, you’ll be at a huge advantage if you manage to avoid the throw and close the gap for a free hit.

• @SlyGoat:

unless they take you by surprise.

That was my point, getting hit in the back with a throwing weapon during a good 1 on 1 fight is a little annoying, because you can’t hear them coming up behind you like you could with a man at arms, etc. A bow I could live with though. I like how you input those into the game, the only thing that I don’t like are knives.

• @SlyGoat:

I disagree. I think throwing weapons are currently overshadowed by the option to use shields, especially since shields basically nullify the use of throwing weapons unless they take you by surprise.

Two of the three classes don’t have shields that you can be carried, so I’m not sure that’s 100% legit. Additionally, a knight in full plate shouldn’t be worried about someone throwing knives a them.

@Jake:

The point of the game is dying at your opponents feet, not by a knife that shouldn’t have the potential to kill in the first place.

Exactly what I’m saying. Maybe they should do something like damage fatigue and not health? Would this be a good compromise?

@Jake:

As for accidentally hitting your friends, try using surround sound headphones, it gives you a great feel of what’s to your sides and behind you, when I put them on it improves my gameplay immensely.

I was more having a problem with a guy that has run past me hitting me with a back-swing when he isn’t even looking at me anymore. Rewarding players by striking enemies around them if they are or aren’t looking at them takes away from the skill level of the game. Learning how to use the proper strikes is a large part of the game, and is what makes duels a lot of fun, but when all hell is breaking lose, a Vanguard with the double handed sword killing two guys at a time while he just runs through groups spamming LMB is a bit much.

• @HeinzMcDurgen:

Two of the three classes don’t have shields that you can be carried, so I’m not sure that’s 100% legit. Additionally, a knight in full plate shouldn’t be worried about someone throwing knives a them.

Only one of the four classes has no access to shields whatsoever. The archer can use a shield with javelins, as well as the pavise for the crossbow which blocks projectiles to the back.

Additionally, a lot of weapons in the game wouldn’t do anything to a fully armored knight :P

• Hahaha agreed. I really do hate people who don’t even bother using skill, they just swing and swing and swing, usually hitting their teammates in the process, the only good thing about them is that when you fight someone like that, they’re easy to kill because they usually don’t bother blocking/parrying.