The State of Old/Classic Duel Servers/helping u know what is a old/classic duelserver

• I have noticed issues of all sorts with classic/old duel servers and have decided to make a thread here to recognize them. For those of you who don’t know, old/classic duel servers are technically ffa servers which are usually running a map called duel yard or some other map. They have a fountain in the middle which instantly regenerates your health. You bow (look down) or press c to challenge someone. Usually a lot of the most skilled players play in these servers and it is a good way to join a clan.

Issues:

1. Admin abuse- I have noticed this on multiple servers. I am just randomly naming a few servers(no offense meant in any way) entit duels and classic duels 128 tick. Both of these servers and almost all of the other servers have admins who kick or even ban to easily. I feel if you make someone an admin you should make them an admin on how well they can handle the position, not if they’re in your clan or not. Admins also will random for fun as there is nothing stopping the. Admins also favor their friends/clan mates if an argument breaks out about randoming(attacking a person without bowing or pressing c) and other suck things.

2. This ties in with admin abuse but sometimes new players aren’t given a chance. They are vote kicked or admin kicked right away. I always give them a chance. If they don’t listen? So be it, but I ALWAYS give them a chance. About 10% of the population on my servers are people I save. Tell them, it’s not their fault.

3. Extreme cursing-yes you can curse sometimes but to do it too much and for no reason is bad. It ruins the game for some people and u spread you’re bad mood to others.

4. server competition- the competition on old duel servers is really high. Personally I would just make a 64 man server and not have any more servers but that would cause lag I think. We should have a set of admins that can be admins on all the duel servers. Just not one.

6. people like doing archer wars in full server rather than empty. We don’t know why but we like it more in full. Even I’m guilty of starting archer wars. We should maybe expand the duel yard map to create an are a for archer wars or maybe just designate an area for archer wars on the existing map. People alsolike to have 2v1 circles and such and we should have specific servers for that.

All of this is theoretical. I just saying what I would do if I was on control of everything. Feel free to post your comments, thoughts, suggestions and questions below! :)

• Classic duels is shit for pub duels imo. New model is WAY more organized, gets people under control, only problem I see is the max of 10 on score the, its way to fast for then a map change. Should be timed imo, like 30mins or something.

• I actually prefer old old duel back when I was a scrubnub, where it was just Moor, and crouching for regening.

• Classic duels gives you freedom. The freedom to:

1. Fight whomever you choose, whenever you choose.
    2. Train with a friend. (Practice parrying, feinting/feint reading, parrying, etc.). The emphasis is more on learning/improving rather than winning.
    3. Fight multiple opponents if you wish.
    4. Fight more often. There’s no need to wait for a random opponent to be chosen for you.

Lastly, classic duels are often held on higher quality servers that use a higher tick rate.

The only real disadvantage is the occasional randomer.

• @Rekrab:

I actually prefer old old duel back when I was a scrubnub, where it was just Moor, and crouching for regening.

I second this.

• @Rekrab:

I actually prefer old old duel back when I was a scrubnub, where it was just Moor, and crouching for regening.

Ah, them were the days.

• The issue with old Duel as I see it is that it has been hijacked by Casuals. Obviously not everyone on old duel is a casual but a large portion of the regulars (these days) are. They come to old duel servers with the delusions of being good enough to compete with the rather high standards of an old duel server. They generally are between rank 30-45 (sometimes 50+ too) and they don’t want to fight anything but a non feint, knight v knight, 2h longsword duel. Anything else is “noob” and “no honor”. These casuals learn quickly that they are not up to the skill of others (at least for now) get frustrated and resort to trolling…

If any Admins read this I suggest doing a better job of removing these types of people and as a community try keep some standards on a old duel server. I am not elitist however if someone starts a feint mechanic debate - kick them. If they start ffaing - kick them. If they refuse to duel people - Kick them. And any trolling at all - kick them. Don’t concern yourself with the whining and abusive statements from these nobody’s and just remove them - until they are ready to join the server behave and try improve then don’t allow them access.

Because a lack of this administrator role has led to some of the genuine duelers stooped coming onto old duel servers because its too messy and full of casuals trolling one another. I suggest if you want to keep a place to go for a challenging duel then the admins need to start removing these types.

• @Chivalier:

Issues:
    1. Admin abuse- I have noticed this on multiple servers. I am just randomly naming a few servers(no offense meant in any way) entity duels and classic duels 128 tick. Both of these servers and almost all of the other servers have admins who kick or even ban to easily. I feel if you make someone an admin you should make them an admin on how well they can handle the position, not if they’re in your clan or not. Admins also will random for fun as there is nothing stopping the. Admins also favor their friends/clan mates if an argument breaks out about randoming(attacking a person without bowing or pressing c) and other suck things.

Hello, am owner of Classic Duel [Yard] - 128 Tick, which I’m guessing is the one you’re calling out. Do you know which admins are abusing their powers? I have removed admins in the past for bad behavior, but I thought at this point non of the admins are abusive. Regardless of my personal relationship with my admins I tried to choose 1 person from each active chivalry competitive clan to have admin powers so that there would be someone on at all times.

2. This ties in with admin abuse but sometimes new players aren’t given a chance. They are vote kicked or admin kicked right away. I always give them a chance. If they don’t listen? So be it, but I ALWAYS give them a chance. About 10% of the population on my servers are people I save. Tell them, it’s not their fault.

That’s why my server has a MOTD that explains how classic duels work. The problem is mostly the casual players fault though, because as soon as a new guy starts randoming everyone randoms him so the newcommer doesn’t see the error in his ways. I tell my staff to kick them and in the reason message tell them to rejoin and read the MOTD. If they’re not willing to do that much then they can’t handle classic duels. I’ve also had times the server was filled with < rank 20 and they were all battlecrying to duel.

4. server competition- the competition on old duel servers is really high. Personally I would just make a 64 man server and not have any more servers but that would cause lag I think. We should have a set of admins that can be admins on all the duel servers. Just not one.

This is the odd one for me. In the past there were 1-2 classic duels servers at a time. When the last one shut down I threw mine up so people would have a place to go. Within a month after that roughly 3 more popped up. As long as people are still using mine I’m going to keep it up though, since I feel the administration on it is fair and just.

6. people like doing archer wars in full server rather than empty. We don’t know why but we like it more in full. Even I’m guilty of starting archer wars. We should maybe expand the duel yard map to create an are a for archer wars or maybe just designate an area for archer wars on the existing map. People alsolike to have 2v1 circles and such and we should have specific servers for that.

Tell this guy to make a map for that ;)

• Just out of curiosity, who made the duelyard map anyway? also I feel for your server it isn’t that much admin abuse as much as it is player telling an admin wrongly what happened. And I’m sorry but I can’t tell you. I think that’s against forum policies and I don’t want to get that admin in trouble.

• @Najo:

The issue with old Duel as I see it is that it has been hijacked by Casuals. Obviously not everyone on old duel is a casual but a large portion of the regulars (these days) are. They come to old duel servers with the delusions of being good enough to compete with the rather high standards of an old duel server. They generally are between rank 30-45 (sometimes 50+ too) and they don’t want to fight anything but a non feint, knight v knight, 2h longsword duel. Anything else is “noob” and “no honor”. These casuals learn quickly that they are not up to the skill of others (at least for now) get frustrated and resort to trolling…

If any Admins read this I suggest doing a better job of removing these types of people and as a community try keep some standards on a old duel server. I am not elitist however if someone starts a feint mechanic debate - kick them. If they start ffaing - kick them. If they refuse to duel people - Kick them. And any trolling at all - kick them. Don’t concern yourself with the whining and abusive statements from these nobody’s and just remove them - until they are ready to join the server behave and try improve then don’t allow them access.

Because a lack of this administrator role has led to some of the genuine duelers stooped coming onto old duel servers because its too messy and full of casuals trolling one another. I suggest if you want to keep a place to go for a challenging duel then the admins need to start removing these types.

A prime example - 5 minutes ago. I got kicked for using a shield by a rank 57 admin no less.

• ^ That’s hilarious.

• Promod had the best duel system in my opinion. Randomers weren’t a problem as you had to bow and wait for someone to bow back before your attacks could do damage. I’d love to see a variant of that that replace the current official duel mode.

• @Najo:

A prime example - 5 minutes ago. I got kicked for using a shield by a rank 57 admin no less.

Isn’t that the Robert guy from kkd? Although I don’t actually know what name he went by before.

• Just spent some time duelling and I don’t think there’s a single valid, pub classic duel server in EU now, at least with my playable ping range. Every one just devolves into FFAing and griefing. From what I can tell from the forums and tournaments, chiv looks like it’s booming in NA, but dying a painful death in EU.

• @Najo:

The issue with old Duel as I see it is that it has been hijacked by Casuals. Obviously not everyone on old duel is a casual but a large portion of the regulars (these days) are. They come to old duel servers with the delusions of being good enough to compete with the rather high standards of an old duel server. They generally are between rank 30-45 (sometimes 50+ too) and they don’t want to fight anything but a non feint, knight v knight, 2h longsword duel. Anything else is “noob” and “no honor”. These casuals learn quickly that they are not up to the skill of others (at least for now) get frustrated and resort to trolling…

You and anyone else is welcome to join my classic duel server, anything goes when it comes to feints, using shields etc. No admin abuse.

THIS IS SPARTA! * DUELS only * Max ping 80
    213.163.78.153:27015
    steam://run/219640/en/213.163.78.153:7777

• @Jetstream:

Isn’t that the Robert guy from kkd? Although I don’t actually know what name he went by before.

It’s actually Kaway/Kawaii/Weeaboo himself.

• @Kreittis:

It’s actually Kaway/Kawaii/Weeaboo himself.

I see. Thank you.

• @Knifelegs:

Promod had the best duel system in my opinion. Randomers weren’t a problem as you had to bow and wait for someone to bow back before your attacks could do damage. I’d love to see a variant of that that replace the current official duel mode.

Is there some kind of issue preventing that bow to duel thing from coming back? It was so slick and point blank stopped randomers since they would come and swing to their weapons to their little noob hearts contents and nothing would happen.

This needs to be a mod asap.

• @Sir:

Is there some kind of issue preventing that bow to duel thing from coming back? It was so slick and point blank stopped randomers since they would come and swing to their weapons to their little noob hearts contents and nothing would happen.

This needs to be a mod asap.

Shame it just made some people run around in your face when you were fuelling someone else.

• @gndo:

Shame it just made some people run around in your face when you were fuelling someone else.

TBH that’s better than randomly getting hit in the back. At least if they run up to you and spam head nod nothing will happen and your opponent ‘should’ see what’s going on.