New Ideas for an Experimental TO Tournament

• I wanted to gather some opinions about the format of an upcoming Tempest-hosted 6v6 TO tournament, sometime in the next 2 months.

As we all know this game isn’t the most balanced out there, so I wanted to try out a tournament with more balance restrictions in place, simply to see how it goes and if people enjoy it more.

These ideas are open to suggestions and modifications.

General Rules

6v6 Team Objective

49% Rule

One Firepot Limit

One Archer per Team (possibly)

Option 1: Picks and Bans

A pre-match period like Dota 2 would be implemented, with a time limit. Each team would be able to pick 2 weapons they wanted to be made available during the game and would also be able to ban 2 weapons from play. The number of picks and bans could be raised if people want more. Winner of Kendo or a 1v1 duel gets first pick. Then the opposing team picks. The first team then bans one weapon, and the opposing team gets their turn, etc.

Option 2: Preset Weapon List

All weapons that are allowed in the tournament would have been chosen beforehand. I have yet to decide how this will be done. Either the tourney host will choose the weapon list or there will be some sort of council or committee that chooses the list.

Preliminary List (Open to changes, just an example) I removed weapons considered overpowered or very strong in the current meta, as well as trash tier joke weapons (flail). I also removed cheese weapons that aren’t overpowered, just annoying and broken (bearded axe, claymore, fork).

Knight: Dub Axe, Poleaxe, Warhammer, Grand Mace, Longsword, Flanged Mace, Morning Star, Falchion, Broadsword

Vanguard: Greatsword, Spear, Bardiche, Halberd, Polehammer, All Secondaries

Man at Arms: Flanged Mace, Morning Star, Broadsword, Falchion, War Axe, Dane Axe, All Secondaries

Archer: Longbow, Crossbow, Javelin, Sling (pebbles only), Saber, Cudgel, All Daggers

Vote in the poll and let me know your opinions and suggestions in the thread.

• This doesn’t concern me at all, but I think the picks and bans idea is cool.

• I think that the preset weapons list would make the game much more fair because I think that people could equally cheese the other team by just eliminating the weapons they use, like pnobio without a sling, or Spook without a maul, but then again this could force some diversity. Personally I would remove just a handful of weapons (Messer, SoW, Norse, brandistock, shortsword, holy water sprinkler, and all crossbows), but I do like the idea and this would bring up a lot more debate on new possible strategies and diversity.

Though people are just gonna go to the second best weapons such as the broadsword, poleaxe, or longsword, so we will have to see really.

I don’t think the 50% would be so bad if the OP knight meta weapons were to be removed and vanguard wouldn’t be such an obsolete class.

This requires much more debate, but I like the idea. It actually brings up something in this forum that is actually interesting to talk about in quite a while.

• I was thinking picks and bans as well. The numbers are tweakable of course, but it worked out quite well for dota. I don’t like the list idea. Gives the tourney host too much power (they pick rules, seeding, maps) which might make it frowned upon for a tourney host to participate in their own tourney. It’s currently not a big deal, but if someone gets to choose their own weapon list I think it could be a problem.

Picks and bans opens up way more strategy too. Ban sow and go 3 vanguards, ban brandi and spear and go 3 mauls (like you couldn’t beforehand kek), etc.

• @Aurane:

I think that the preset weapons list would make the game much more fair because I think that people could equally cheese the other team by just eliminating the weapons they use, like pnobio without a sling, or Spook without a maul, but then again this could force some diversity. Personally I would remove just a handful of weapons (Messer, SoW, Norse, brandistock, shortsword, holy water sprinkler, and all crossbows), but I do like the idea and this would bring up a lot more debate on new possible strategies and diversity.

Though people are just gonna go to the second best weapons such as the broadsword, poleaxe, or longsword, so we will have to see really.

I don’t think the 50% would be so bad if the OP knight meta weapons were to be removed and vanguard wouldn’t be such an obsolete class.

This requires much more debate, but I like the idea. It actually brings up something in this forum that is actually interesting to talk about in quite a while.

I prefer the preset weapon list option as well, but picks and bans would be good enough for me.

Vanguard definitely isn’t an obsolete class however, we ran 2 in the finals last tourney.

• @Karasu:

I was thinking picks and bans as well. The numbers are tweakable of course, but it worked out quite well for dota. I don’t like the list idea. Gives the tourney host too much power (they pick rules, seeding, maps) which might make it frowned upon for a tourney host to participate in their own tourney. It’s currently not a big deal, but if someone gets to choose their own weapon list I think it could be a problem.

Picks and bans opens up way more strategy too. Ban sow and go 3 vanguards, ban brandi and spear and go 3 mauls (like you couldn’t beforehand kek), etc.

This is why I mentioned that a council or committee should choose the list possibly

• @Omega:

This is why I mentioned that a council or committee should choose the list possibly

That’s not what it said before :/ You just edited it!

• Picks and Bans.

• Nah it said that before, however I did edit that part in bold.

• The picks and bans idea should be tweaked around tho, in dota its easy to ban due to the sheer number of heroes you can pick, but in our case we should do it a bit differently.

1 game = 2 rounds

There should be a ban phase each round,and add a rule to make it so the same weapon cant be banned twice in a game.

• picks and bans will be more involved from both parties (with team/player specific bans) instead of having 1 “nobody is actually happy” weapon restriction list

either way spook will never play maul again if this goes through

• Mod

@kwazi:

picks and bans will be more involved from both parties (with team/player specific bans) instead of having 1 “nobody is actually happy” weapon restriction list

Time to brush off the old dubaxe

• Mod

If you’re good at chivalry it doesn’t matter as much what weapon’s in your hands.

• @Kim:

Time to brush off the old dubaxe

You knaves think you know fear now

• @kwazi:

Winner of kendo or 1v1 gets first pick :D

• @Frodiziak:

The picks and bans idea should be tweaked around tho, in dota its easy to ban due to the sheer number of heroes you can pick, but in our case we should do it a bit differently.

1 game = 2 rounds

There should be a ban phase each round,and add a rule to make it so the same weapon cant be banned twice in a game.

This is definitely interesting, and now that Picks and Bans definitely seems to be the option in the lead I think the very simplistic system I suggested should be changed and improved.

We have a good amount of time before the tourney so I will talk to a lot of people and will tweak the system greatly.

• I’d also like to add that I think it’d be better to have a preset weapon list BEFORE kendo to prevent people from using cheese weapons, like a knight with a holy water sprinkler and shield. These things are just ridiculously gimmicky and everybody knows it, and it’s nearly impossible to beat it against anybody decent.

• I’d prefer to see a preset weapon list, it would give people sometime to actually prepare with the allowed weapons. I thought your list looked pretty good as is I’d just like to see Javs removed.

• @Aurane:

I’d also like to add that I think it’d be better to have a preset weapon list BEFORE kendo to prevent people from using cheese weapons, like a knight with a holy water sprinkler and shield. These things are just ridiculously gimmicky and everybody knows it, and it’s nearly impossible to beat it against anybody decent.

this just in HWS and shield knight is OP

in fact its so OP nobody uses it out of respect for the enemy

• Allow each team to ban 1 weapon per class topkek.

Maul*, Messer, SoW - one of these will see play, teams must pick their poison

Zwei*, Brandi*, …Halberd? Spear? - Nah, I think every team would ban Zwei and Brandi.

Norse*, HWS, Flanged Mace - I guess any non-Lg team will ban Norse and HWS.

Crossbows, Javelins… - There sure are a lot of choices when it comes to archer, lol.

Yeah, people will give you hell for the pre-determined list methinks. “wut u banning my skillhok mang??/ it’s less OP than spe4r!!! - wow u ban my maul but not dubaxe so sp00k can win torney for u guyz?? gg no n0rse sw0rd and not even hatchet but u still allow morning star with its instant stab?? STOPID ODMINS BIASED BY TEMBEST DERR LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE.” At least bans will direct the hate wave away from the Tournament Admins.