TBS will no longer spend any Dev time on improving/balancing Chivalry

• From Ghost - We were open about the news a while ago for our plans to have the community update Chivalry while we focus on our new project. We are still investigating any crucial items you guys bring to our attention but active, fully focused development (Mechanics overhaul, new content etc.) of Chivalry from our end is no longer continuing for a while now.

Sad to hear, but understandable considering they are working on a new project, and are also a fairly small indie studio.
    Still, they are open to the idea on having the community update the game.

Which would/could? mean ;

• Balance updates,
    • Game mechanics improvements,
    • General content update.

The community as a whole have various disparate opinions on what changes could make the game better, especially when talking about balance. Everyone has their personal agenda’s, but we should first ask us some questions…

• Do we actually want this??
    • What does TB needs from us to make this work?
    • Who are the people capable of making these improvements? (I know we have Crush, but he cant be the only one)
    • Finally, who could potentially make the decisions about these changes? I am guessing that TB has the final say?

Discuss… (please limit the trolling and shit posting to a minimum)

Edit: Police size is fucked for some reasons

Edit2: IMO The only way this could work, is if a TB Dev supervise the process, and the same dev should also personally select a few people to take part in those discussions. If not, its going to be a FFA mess.

• @Frodiziak:

• Do we actually want this??

Of course it depends on the change. It is very difficult to decide what needs balancing. The only way to know for sure is to run controlled testes. Is a weapon OP? Invite people for 100 duels with it vs other weapons and find out.
    @Frodiziak:

• What does TB needs from us to make this work?

Solid evidence that the change is necessary.
    Trust that we’re not going to ************ their game.
    @Frodiziak:

• Finally, who could potentially make the decisions about these changes? I am guessing that TB has the final say?

Tb should have the final say. We could round a few knowledgeable players up into a jury though.

Make a balance mod > run a bunch of tests > change it 50 times until it’s just right > it gets finally accepted by the committee >shown to TBS> implemented into game

• We all know how the previous balance council turned out…

• @elwebbaro:

We all know how the previous balance council turned out…

well crushed did a good job

• Having FHF implemented officially would be the only thing I would really ask for.

• @zombojoe:

well crushed did a good job

Not really, he added FHF and made saber/norse sword/short sword/broadsword use the same speed with different damage values and lengths, turning most of them useless. Same thing with the maces and axes.

Pros:
    Awesome simple mechanic improvement.
    Cons:
    Balance even worse.

• @elwebbaro:

We all know how the previous balance council turned out…

I agree. RK should be the balance council again.

• @Xylvion:

Not really, he added FHF and made saber/norse sword/short sword/broadsword use the same speed with different damage values and lengths, turning most of them useless. Same thing with the maces and axes.

Pros:
    Awesome simple mechanic improvement.
    Cons:
    Balance even worse.

It doesn’t necessarily means that there is no way to make it work.

• @Frodiziak:

It doesn’t necessarily means that there is no way to make it work.

I didn’t say that, I just said that it wasn’t a good job.

• What about bug fixes, my game won’t stop stuttering since the update.

• This post is deleted!

• I would honestly like to see the game completely reverted to before “the patch” and then we go from there. There’s just too much that needs addressing right now that are massive, like stamina.

• So the “Balance and Game Mechanics” as well as the “Bug Reports” section may be as well closed now?

• @INerevar:

So the “Balance and Game Mechanics” as well as the “Bug Reports” section may be as well closed now?

From my understanding they’ll still fix major bugs; anything that drastically effects gameplay. Anomaly’s will probably be fixed too if you can actually gather evidence/proof of it so that they can trace what the issue is instead of spending hours trying to recreate it.

I always felt Balance and Game mechanic subforums were for the users sake and not the devs; a place for the players to talk about the game together, not a place to tell the devs what need changing.

• @AmishInsurgent:

From my understanding they’ll still fix major bugs; anything that drastically effects gameplay. Anomaly’s will probably be fixed too if you can actually gather evidence/proof of it so that they can trace what the issue is instead of spending hours trying to recreate it.

I always felt Balance and Game mechanic subforums were for the users sake and not the devs; a place for the players to talk about the game together, not a place to tell the devs what need changing.

Why the heck would anyone come here to discuss game mechanics and or balance if they didn’t expect their opinion to possibly lead to a better game? Your opinion makes no sense to me. You might as well go tell a brick wall that hit trades suck ass. People only utilize this subforum because they hope that if they scream loud enough, some sort of productive change will come about. If your opinion was true, this subforum would simply be called “shoulder to whine on.”

Anyways, It’s pointless to sit here and circlejerk about hit trades, OP weapons, underachieving weapons, etc at this point because we now know that TBS has backed away from any major balance involvement. At this point, they’re just pushing hats and minor bugfixes. People might as well just whine about issues in the general discussion.

• Vanilla Chivalry is about 30 months old now. In my opinion, it seems natural that the Torn Banner devs want to ‘move on’ to the next big thing.

Last 3-4 patches have had weak, mixed feedback and the remaining players don’t seem to form a relevant community. As much as I love the game I think it’s the right time for TB to push whatever they have in their minds and focus on that for a while.

I can see them working for some time and releasing their unnanounced UE4 project, and then coming back to Chiv in the form of some mild support, and patching from time to time. I really think the next game will be enjoyable and cleaner than the current experience; it’s an indie studio and MW has been their first commercial game, after all.

Right now I’m happy with the news of the incoming Linux port, it really is a nice thing to give us considering the size and plans of the team.

@magilla:

Anyways, It’s pointless to sit here and circlejerk

Yes, it is.

• @magilla:

Why the heck would anyone come here to discuss game mechanics and or balance if they didn’t expect their opinion to possibly lead to a better game? Your opinion makes no sense to me. You might as well go tell a brick wall that hit trades suck ass. People only utilize this subforum because they hope that if they scream loud enough, some sort of productive change will come about. If your opinion was true, this subforum would simply be called “shoulder to whine on.”

I’m not saying it won’t lead to a change. The problem is with balance (not bugs) a lot of it can be regarded as opinion. If a few people voice their concerns about a weapon being unfair it isn’t likely to hold any weight on it. The subforum is about discussing balance for your voice to be heard to others and if the majority of people agree with you change could happen.

Problem is with only 4 classes for every opinion of a needed balance change there’s a good amount of people who play that class that will argue against it. Remember the needed archer nerf and how many archers flooded the forums about how wrong it was to nerf their damage? Same can be said with the handle hit tracer change; PoleArm no damage tracers were too long but since no one plays them there was no voice about it.

It’s been a long time that TBS claimed they don’t mind editing values but overhauling mechanics isn’t a likely story. If the community brought forth an agreeable list of value changes who knows what would happen?

• I still think they should fix the game before they leave it.

• @Rekrab:

I still think they should fix the game before they leave it.

I agree 100%.

Although that’s probably because animations are still borked for me and it seems for only me. Either that or the other players with this problem have learned to cope with it, something I definitely don’t intend to.

• @AmishInsurgent:

and if the majority of people agree with you change could happen.

Unlikely at this point.

I would prefer balance is not messed with - except for nerfing archers. But TBS hardly plays the game enough to actually understand the issue with archers e.g. one developer plays again and he is omg so much voting in the game let me make it so nobody can vote (which led to the trolls running rampant). So no I would rather not have them interpret balance at this point.

There are a bunch of bugs which have been stated over and over again that would significantly improve the enjoyability of the game, but TBS never responds to any of the posts (by anyone) and I very much doubt they have the right priority list (or so it seems when a patch comes out and it is a bunch of random stuff).

So I am with Rodkar - just let them work on their next project.