Tips for Blocking with Shield After Flinch?

• I have a serious problem with blocking using shields after getting hit. For example, as an archer, if I get hit once, I can almost never block the second attack of a combo with a shield… It’s like RMB is completely unresponsive for me. I’ve noticed that clicking and holding RMB will not queue block… so what is the correct strategy? Tapping RMB over and over…? TIA

• If it’s related to javelins, upon throwing your javelin your character reaches to grab another (reloading) essentially. If you get hit during this animation, you will start the animation again. I think the idea is to punish players who try to shotgun javelins into players faces at close range and then just try to block. Throw javelins at a safer distance, and if someone runs up to you while you have your javelin raised, press Q to drop the javelin so you can block / stab.

I’m assuming you mean javelins because you specified archer with a shield.

• Let go of the shift key. Because I noticed this:
    @INerevar:

Can someone just try this:

While running around with a shield click RMB shortly and then hold it. (Press, Press + Hold)
    If I do this, my character simply ignores the “Press + Hold” and drops his shield although I’m still holding the button.
    When I’m not holding shift/running this doesn’t happen and he properly holds up his shield again.

Maybe it’s only my keyboard though.

Also that what Gauntlet said.

• @Gauntlet:

If it’s related to javelins, upon throwing your javelin your character reaches to grab another (reloading) essentially. If you get hit during this animation, you will start the animation again. I think the idea is to punish players who try to shotgun javelins into players faces at close range and then just try to block. Throw javelins at a safer distance, and if someone runs up to you while you have your javelin raised, press Q to drop the javelin so you can block / stab.

I’m assuming you mean javelins because you specified archer with a shield.

i found out that even doing a fast ‘drop jav’ to shield… the shield will sometimes raise for a second and drop. You can test this by basically doing feint to block with buckler shield as jav archer. If you do it fast… a lot of the time the shield will raise and then drop automatically. Try it, there’s something wrong there too.

• If you were throwing or going to throw a javelin when you got hit, more of often than not you will get stuck in some kind of a loop that prevents you from raising your shield no matter how hard you click. I believe it’s a bug that never got fixed.

• Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve definitely noticed it more often with the javelin! So I think you’re right about that.

Sometimes when I’m playing as a knight with shield, though, I also have issues with blocking. I think the reason is because block (RMB) doesn’t queue after a swing. EX: Tap LMB once to swing and then immediately hold RMB — you will finishing your swing and then nothing happens even though you’re holding down RMB. In the case of parry it doesn’t matter, since you just mash RMB as many times as you can to parry after an attack at the first available moment. But with a shield, your goal is to hold down RMB to keep the shield up… :cower:

• This is why I gave up on javelin… bug was never fixed.

• @HaHawk:

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve definitely noticed it more often with the javelin! So I think you’re right about that.

Sometimes when I’m playing as a knight with shield, though, I also have issues with blocking. I think the reason is because block (RMB) doesn’t queue after a swing. EX: Tap LMB once to swing and then immediately hold RMB — you will finishing your swing and then nothing happens even though you’re holding down RMB. In the case of parry it doesn’t matter, since you just mash RMB as many times as you can to parry after an attack at the first available moment. But with a shield, your goal is to hold down RMB to keep the shield up… :cower:

Use CFTP (combo feint to parry) so you can up your shield really fucking fast and block your opponent after a missed attack!

Shields are fun to play, but on collective fights its kinda bad imo, no riposte makes people want to trade even more then they already do. In duels its really fun thou, even more if you use it with the heavy flail. Shieldpunch everyone man!

• @Vanguard:

Use CFTP (combo feint to parry) so you can up your shield really fucking fast and block your opponent after a missed attack!

Shields are fun to play, but on collective fights its kinda bad imo, no riposte makes people want to trade even more then they already do. In duels its really fun thou, even more if you use it with the heavy flail. Shieldpunch everyone man!

you can’t combo javs man, and even the ftp as i said above is buggy.

as for knight… what you’re talking about is like a combo-parry or combo-block in this manner and you just have to time it better.

• @50ShadesofClay:

you can’t combo javs man, and even the ftp as i said above is buggy.

as for knight… what you’re talking about is like a combo-parry or combo-block in this manner and you just have to time it better.

Holy shit its true Clay, I forgot that mate! So long time I don’t play javelin

• @Vanguard:

Holy shit its true Clay, I forgot that mate! So long time I don’t play javelin

idk if serious or sarcasm, long time ago i thought you could combo javs but you never could. Somehow though i feel like you were able to, i feel like i remember a time but it was not real lol.

seriously though, someone try the feint to block with javs. Do it fast and watch what happens. May take a couple tries but it will actually raise and drop automatically even when continuing to hold rmb the entire time. This may point to why the shiled fails to raise sometimes. Then again i’ve been hit before after throwing and see the flinch animation happen like a second later too which is crazy broken looking so who am I to judge.

• @50ShadesofClay:

idk if serious or sarcasm, long time ago i thought you could combo javs but you never could. Somehow though i feel like you were able to, i feel like i remember a time but it was not real lol.

seriously though, someone try the feint to block with javs. Do it fast and watch what happens. May take a couple tries but it will actually raise and drop automatically even when continuing to hold rmb the entire time. This may point to why the shiled fails to raise sometimes. Then again i’ve been hit before after throwing and see the flinch animation happen like a second later too which is crazy broken looking so who am I to judge.

No sarcasm m8 I really forgot that, almost never play archer here