Raid 10 for gaming.

• Thank you for that, I do like those silver reference things tbh, the sleek looking video cards without all those fans on front
    just don’t appeal to me atm

• This is all you need and is the future. The nice thing is that because it is SSD, data is easy to destroy unlike standard HDs
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client

400GB under $400
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300

• why not have a few ssd’s, one of each in fact plus no horrid cables. m.2 ssd plus the pci/e ssd. next generation I might
    just spoil myself tbh.

• Can’t boot off a PCI-e SSD with my old motherboard. Next upgrade cycle for sure though.

• Those new gen PCIe SSDs are so bad ass that many CPU/moboscannot keep up with the read and write speeds. They are still a bit pricey though

• Easy to destroy data is another way of saying non recoverable data. When SSDs go wrong you can’t get anything back from it. Needing an HDD to back up things too anyway.

• Well I build it just now, All the bits arrived at 2.40pm ish. Assembled the fan first, then got started.
    I stuck Two air fans push/pull on the evo3, then just stuck the Two gtx580’s for now inside. Switched
    on and it fired up first time out (which is always appreciated tbh). That 1tb evo msata disk looks tiny.
    Most likely get the os on a stick or make a stick that set ups windows 8 or 8.1. Will try it on Chivalry
    early next week after os installed and steam etc.

• http://i.imgur.com/VMJNDlr.jpg

not bad, installed w7 pro 64bit, disk transfer rate is amazing tbh 7.9 ? The processor is one of
    the lowest on the scale I might add one of the new gtx cards very soon. stock speed is ideal
    for lazy chickens imo. Also managed to show no errors at all in device manager which is tricky
    sometimes in anything but windows 8 upwards.

• very good tbh. I am so impressed it will be my chivalry rig for this year. Any of you bods know if it can host a small server?

• I ran multiple chivalry servers on a Xeon E3 1230v3 (even with one server hitting 64 men) without any hiccups. Important thing is strong single core performance and that definitely seems to be no problem for you. I also recommend for the chivalry servers changing the tick rate to 120 because it does make a noticeable improvement with little load increase.

@Lemon:

Easy to destroy data is another way of saying non recoverable data. When SSDs go wrong you can’t get anything back from it. Needing an HDD to back up things too anyway.

Huh? SSDs tend to be more reliable due to non moving parts. Over years generally the way the SSD will fail is due to not being able to write anymore but that data is still recoverable. In due time when SSD prices drop enough and you see larger storage sizes you will see SSDs replacing HDDs in data backup.

• well I could fire up the workstation dual 3.46 quad core with its 32gb of ram, with 240 ssd for a server then.
    Until I get organised to simply rent a server from simrai, its more preferable to pay 6 months in advance.
    I thought the servers were not seen on steam a few years go with a home setup?

• @loin:

well I could fire up the workstation dual 3.46 quad core with its 32gb of ram, with 240 ssd for a server then.
    Until I get organised to simply rent a server from simrai, its more preferable to pay 6 months in advance.
    I thought the servers were not seen on steam a few years go with a home setup?

I’m not sure but as long as you do the steam chivalry server setup instead of using the commandline to make a server from your existing chivalry download I know it’ll show up.

I’ve never been a fan of renting virtual server space; I pay $70 a month for that CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD storage in RAID1, and unmetered bandwidth in Chicago.

• Do you mean If I setup a game from the menu , It will eventually show up in the browser?

Its actually cheaper for me to start a ram upgrade to 128gb as I recently was sent 7 memory cages at near no cost.
    The idea of an old workstation with 128gb of ram for a server does appeal atm. Considering the processor beat my
    devils canyon in scores , pff. Gtx780ti is near $600? , utterly utterly overpriced for simply playing video games.

ps. As silly as it sounds I picked up a dusty gtx465, spent just near Two hours taking it part, brushing
    the dust our and putting fresh compound on it. Would you believe its a piece of crap? I couldn’t believe
    they are often on the bay for not even 30 pounds of which 8 pounds is postage costs hehe.

• Quick update on my project. It now has a gtx 980 plus I have a ram cage with another 32gb of 6400 ram.
    As soon as I buy a 1000w pu. I will trade in my 64gb and buy 128gb of server 5300f ram. Even now it clearly
    out performs my devils canyon rig witch has 32gb of ram itself. I have 7 ethernet connections on this also.

• Recently I picked up a few more gtx580’s for a very low price. So next week I will build a test rig of 4 way sli.
    4 Twin Frozr II gtx 580’s , A utube video of Chivalry at max settings might be posted later on out of interest.
    The base unit will be 4790 rig with 32gb ram. Motherboard is arriving shortly also.

• Project specs are now confirmed.

Specs:
    GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 motherboard 1150 socket
    32Gb 1333 DDR3
    4790 cpu
    240gb SolidState drive
    128gb usb 3 Flast stick drive.
    4 way Quad sli gtx 580 twin frozrII
    1300 Watt Gold 80 plus power supply

• I dont have a PC atm as i sold my old rig to yarnu. But i am less then 20 days away from my new one. Lemme know your honest feedback as i will will be able to change to suit.

Mobo: asus rampage extreme x99
    Cpu: 5930k with h110 water
    Gpu: 2 x asus strix 980ti
    Ram: 32g 3000mhz quad channel ram
    Ssd: 5 x samsung pro 250gb in raid 5 setup
    Hhd 2 x 3tb wd black
    Win 8.
    Case: corsiar air 540

P.s. i was originally gonna get 2 titan x but is sli they are crap in comparison and the asus strix in most cases out performs titan x. And im sticking with 2011-3 socket over 1150/51 for performance (as 2011-3 is still the top atm for at least 12 months and future proofing

Money isnt an issue.

Boots

• That’s a fine system tbh. I started this thread about my last project a high end workstation running six drives in raid 10.
    it was blisteringly fast for loading times of Chivalry. A spare gtx 980 is here now. ino3D reference cooler.
    Thats DDR4 ram isn’t it.? x99

• Its the enthusiast kother board. Where as the h170 etc are mainstream. But they wont be brining a X to that series for a while.

What do you suggest raid 10 or 5 with that amount of ssd

• Raid 5 perhaps, I had 10 250gb drives of the same model so 6 were used in r10 tbh. If your using an odd number of drives
    I’d have to look into that. Gaming with Raid10 was considered the ultimate gaming setup I read somewhere.